Just watched my car get backed into. Looking for a dash cam with parking mode with a good price!

Proe24

Reaction score
Country
United States
I walked outside after dropping some things off to a friend who lives in another building of the apartment I live in. As I walked out I saw a guy pulling out of a spot he parallel parked in, and instead of backing up slowly he goes pretty damn fast and hits my car, then pulls out.

Luckily, he didn't do any damage and I got his plates just in case, but now I am extremely worried. I bought a brand new 2016 VW Golf TSI SE, fully loaded, so I dropped a pretty penny on this thing, and to see my car get hit like that almost brought a tear to my eye.

I was looking for dash cams before but wasn't willing to spend the money. Initially, I was looking for one under the $75 range, but couldn't find anything where the pros seemed to outweigh the cons, but after seeing this happen I am now far more willing to spend the money to keep her protected. It was lucky that he didn't do any damage, but who knows what will happen last time. And this was a guy who I can only assume lives in my apartment complex!

What I need:

I need to find a dash cam that has a good parking mode and is fairly discreet, and one that would obviously have good day/night quality. I don't need one that has a rear camera, but having one with the option to add one would be great. I do still want the bang for my buck though. Something around the $150 range is definitely acceptable, but I am willing to go higher if that is what it takes.

Notes:

I live in downtown Omaha and commute ~11 miles to work everyday. My parking is not in an enclosed area and is mostly just parallel parking. There is some poverty in the area, although I live in a decent complex, so theft isn't so uncommon.

I need to find a dash cam that has a good parking mode and is fairly discreet, and one that would obviously have good day/night quality ... around the $150 range is definitely acceptable, but I am willing to go higher if that is what it takes.
Welcome to DCT. I suggest that you limit your choice to DashCams with pre-buffered motion detection & g sensing. The SGZC12SS fits your budget, whether it's sufficiently discreet is your decision. If not, the SGZC12RC is very discreet, but is $200. Both available from... https://shop.pier28.com

Back