Kenwood DRV-A601W

bbyparit

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Kenwood dash cam seems to be recording, but the screen won’t come on at all. The little blue light is on. When I reset the camera, I can hear it turn on and I can hit the power button and I hear it click and I can hit all of the buttons and he’s one of them will click. But I can’t get the screen to show anything. It randomly seems to be recording because I can pull the SD card out and view some of the things that are recording. But the randomness is probably due to the fact that I don’t have it on any specific setting at any time because I can’t see the screen. I just submitted a support ticket for it. Just curious if anybody has had this problem and fixed it?

I did a search, which is how I found this forum, but nothing seemed to match my problem. I’m thinking that if there was a way to use the audible clicks to get into the screensaver setting, I might be able to check to see if that is stuck on?

But I couldn’t find anything online that walked me through a blind button click process if that makes sense?

Like, if you go to turn your screen saver off or to make the screen come back on somehow in some setting that might be there, what did you click on to do that? If someone could walk me through the steps of clicking, when I can only hear the audible, click confirmation that might help.

Thanks!

My Kenwood dash cam seems to be recording, but the screen won’t come on at all. The little blue light is on. When I reset the camera, I can hear it turn on and I can hit the power button and I hear it click and I can hit all of the buttons and he’s one of them will click. But I can’t get the screen to show anything. It randomly seems to be recording because I can pull the SD card out and view some of the things that are recording. But the randomness is probably due to the fact that I don’t have it on any specific setting at any time because I can’t see the screen. I just submitted a support ticket for it. Just curious if anybody has had this problem and fixed it?

I did a search, which is how I found this forum, but nothing seemed to match my problem. I’m thinking that if there was a way to use the audible clicks to get into the screensaver setting, I might be able to check to see if that is stuck on?

But I couldn’t find anything online that walked me through a blind button click process if that makes sense?

Like, if you go to turn your screen saver off or to make the screen come back on somehow in some setting that might be there, what did you click on to do that? If someone could walk me through the steps of clicking, when I can only hear the audible, click confirmation that might help.

Thanks!
If you've reset the camera and the screen still isn't coming on at all, then sounds like you may have a defective unit. Contact the seller for warranty purposes or Kenwood themselves.

Welcome to the forum bbyparit.

It is rare the LCD screen itself actually die, but what have happened over the years to quite a few PPL is that the connector from the PCB ( Printed Circuit Board ) to the LCD come loose, this is a little flat ribbon cable with multiple wires in it, that most often mount in either end into a little socket.

The cable will probably look something like this.
iu

And the socket it mount into something along these lines, they have a small tap ( the black part in the pic ) you can flip up / down to loosen / secure the cable.
So that part are actually a tool less operation.

iu

All of that of course require a little DIY skill, and bravery to take the thing apart.
If that is not a option for you, then you are left with contacting seller or maybe Kenwood them self for further assistance / warranty if you got that.

Kenwood brand dashcams are not something that see very much traffic on this forum, so sadly doubtful if another owner will be able to help you clicking your way around in a invisible menu.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum bbyparit.

All of that of course require a little DIY skill, and bravery to take the thing apart.
If that is not a option for you, then you are left with contacting seller or maybe Kenwood them self for further assistance / warranty if you got that.

Kenwood brand dashcams are not something that see very much traffic on this forum, so sadly doubtful if another owner will be able to help you clicking your way around in a invisible menu.
Thank you. I am not at all squemish about taking things apart. I was nervous, though, about needing help from the manufacturer and voiding any warranty by opening it. But I think I will try it.

I do applaud people that dont just jump the "throw out and buy new" bandwagon, sadly this is a dying breed as consumerism accelerate, and of course our gadgets ASO get ever more complicated.

Back