Kitvision 720p Camera and 256GB Micro SD Card Combination Issues

mcmillanuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you're well. I recently bought a Kitvision 720p camera and was looking to try and film for as long a time as possible. So I purchased a SanDisk Ultra 256gb Micro SD Card and used the GUI Fat32 Format (which I have used on other action cameras and it's filled up perfectly). However for this camera, the SD Card stops filming after 14.1GB. I tried another card to double check and it filmed for exactly the same file size. The camera appears to continue working, but only adds files of 0KB from this point on for both SD Cards.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be occurring? My assumption is the formatting of the SD Card is causing my problem, but this really isn't my domain. If any one is able to assist or point me in the direction of someone that may know the answer, it would be massively appreciated and a huge help!

Neil

Welcome to the forum mcmillanuk.

In the old days we did cheat dashcams only able to do 32 GB cards, by force formatting 64GB cards to fat 32, and it generally worked back then.

It could also be the camera, which is a brand i have never heard about, and are willing to bet that it will be hard to find updated firmware for.
since it is also just 720p resolution i would assume it is either extremely cheap or extremely old, or both.

Welcome to the forum mcmillanuk.

In the old days we did cheat dashcams only able to do 32 GB cards, by force formatting 64GB cards to fat 32, and it generally worked back then.

It could also be the camera, which is a brand i have never heard about, and are willing to bet that it will be hard to find updated firmware for.
since it is also just 720p resolution i would assume it is either extremely cheap or extremely old, or both.
Thank you so much, and thanks for such a quick reply! Yes, I think it's a very cheap camera, rebranded to be not so cheap looking...

So I take it there's no way of 'tricking' it with a FAT32 format? If that's the case, is there a topic somewhere that might point me in the direction of a cheap camera that has a lesser quality setting (such as 720p), so that I can record for a longer period of time?

Dashcams, well some of them have a low bitrate parking guard mode, i tested some that generated 350 MB 3 minute files in normal mode, but a 3 minute low bitrate parking guard file was just 128 MB ( this was a 1080p camera )
But in that case you would need a way to fool the dashcam into parking guard mode, many today need a 3 wire hard wire kit, but some will actually also change on a regular constant power supply if the G-sensor in it have not seen any activity for a few minutes.

Another way to cut down memory use is you could do time lapse, but this mode do not record sound which might be of interest to you, but otherwise if your target are not fast moving, you could easy cut the video down to 15 FPS, that would easy capture humans of foot or them sticking their noses in where they do not belong.

I am pesonally using a CCTV camera on my parked car as where it is is pich black, so a dashcam or other unaided camera would not see much, my CCTV camera see clear as day with IR light aid when it is dark.
But that is of course a more expensive route.

Alternative many new small home CCTV cameras have a build in memoiry card slot, i just put one up at my nieces house, it is only 15 FPS but record 1440p footage ( can do lower res too as i recall ) have IR light and even white light, and a siren too.
Only cost 300 DKkr, it is called TP-Link Tapo C320WS

I can not recall if the old SJcam SJ6 Legend and SJ6 air i tested could do 720p, they where 1080p cameras, but these are also quite old cameras by now so not sure they sell anymore.
Back then as i recall the biggest memory card i had in those was 64 GB.

I will try to unearth one of them tomorrow to have a look if they can do 720p and if i can get a 128 GB and 256 GB card to work in them

If the area you are trying to cover dont have much activity you could use motion detect to trigger recordings and so only record when needed, but if there are a chance of movement aside for what you want then its no good CUZ then it would just film all the time anyway.
At least in dashcams motion detect have long been frowned upon as it take so very little to trigger.

A bit late .. but anyway
Have you tried to use exfat instead of fat32
Formatted in the cam ? Sometimes this works

Old cams that were rated to 32gb - usually would still do up to 128gb, the 32 or 64gb limit was what the companies guaranteed them to work on, similarly with fat32, most would still work if a card was exfat

Also test the card using H2testw - free program
What program did you use to format to fat32 and did you alter the parameters ?
I like to use - fat32format (right click and run as admin)

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Action Camera Discussion 14
Back