Known good G1W-C firmware (no clock loss, looping or corruption bugs)?

pacammer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have two G1W-CBs purchased from gearbest.com in November 2015. Both shipped with W2015.0316.11. Neither have problems with looping or corruption, and they both have the correct shutdown/power cycle delay for the capacitor models. However, neither of them will hold time for more than about 8 hours (the "clock loss" bug).

Over the past couple of days I've tried a bunch of different firmwares:
  • G1WC-380-160107CBBE
  • 2016.0728.11AM
And none of these fix the clock loss problem. Is anyone running any of these firmwares and not experiencing clock loss? Alternatively, if you do not have the clock loss bug, what firmware are you running? At this point I am pretty certain it's hardware, but I figured it is worth checking to make sure I'm not just getting unlucky with firmware choices.

Failing finding a firmware that works, I might replace the supercapacitors. If you have experience with good quality ones that you can recommend, please let me know. I can do basic soldering and can probably figure out the specs on what to buy, but don't have enough experience to know which are good and which are bad.

Thanks!

it's not a bug as such, it's a design issue, no RTC means they rely on the caps to keep the clock going, the older they get the shorter the length of time they're likely to hold the time for

Yeah, mine never held it, even when they were new. I've seen lots of claims on here that there are firmware versions that don't exhibit the problem, but no specifics on which versions exactly. As you say, it's mainly due to hardware design, but I figured it was possible that certain firmwares might be causing the caps to drain faster due to something it's doing at shutdown.

any difference in how long the clock would keep time would keep with different firmwares would be very minimal at best

Sounds like Cheap and defective capacitors to me. I have the same issue with time and date reset on one of my G1W-CB. The other is going strong. What if I were to replace the capacitors with better japanese capacitors, will it fix the issue in the long run?

I searched for new firmware because my old faithful G1W-C was losing the time and date after 3 days of non-use. Loaded FW 2015.xxx and it locked up the dashcam and caused screen flickering issues. I found FW 2014.813.11 and that seemed to fix the lockup and screen flickering issues that 2015 induced. I never did find my original 2103.xxx firmware that was actually working fine.

I have a copy of the 2014.813.11 FW if anyone needs it.

Last edited:
Back