KS1 camera locking up

Gizmo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi fellow dash cam users!

Just thought I would post my findings about this camera, as I don't seem to be the only one with this problem.

As at least one other person has posted a video on YouTube with EXACTLY the same issue, I thought I would mention it again, in case a solution has been found that will solve this.

Purchased from DashCamsAustralia (great service from these guys thus far - spent a LOT of money here in the past!), I have had this particular unit for about a month now, and when I needed to get footage from it after an incident, I found out it hasn't been working for (probably) most of the time it was installed.

The problem is that after a few power cycles, the cam will not shut down, even though the screen enters the shutdown countdown. The picture then locks up (shows a static image of the last frame received from the camera), and the power button does not respond. Removing the power cable does not fix the issue, but removing and re-inserting the battery resets it back to normal.

After a few more power cycles (acc/ign on and off, with a good 15 seconds in between to be fair, and let it boot completely), it will lock up again.

Interestingly enough, this does not appear to be a complete lockup - some functions continue to work. The camera will continue to recognise the power is being turned on and off, by changing the power icon in the upper right to a power plug, and it also says "recording stopped" on power removal (even tho it never says "recording started, and doesn't show the red recording light, or light the remote red button.

Because the unit doesn't shut down, it doesn't start recording again if used for stop-start trips, which we do often. This is because of the rather large capacity battery that keeps it going after power has been removed.

I am running firmware version 158 straight out of the box, an d I am wondering if anyone has been able to get older or newer firmwares from anyone that fixes the problem.

I would like to hear from anyone who has this camera, who has had a good run of use from it, so that I can rule out if I simply have a bad unit, or if the model itself is inherently "junk"

I have had the Mini 0803 (x2) for the last year (originally bought 3, and returned one for the same problem), and much cheaper models before those, so having such a bad history with dash cams in general makes me think that the technology is still quite in its infant stages - no matter how much you spend.

FYI - having read other comments on here and elsewhere, I have tried different sized cards in the unit, and I have the same issues.

I await a reply from the seller and manufacturer as to a possible fix, but any knowledge from here would also be appreciated!

Regards,

Gizmo.

I Have the same fault with my unit. I have resorted to removing the battery and leaving it out for the time being.

I Have the same fault with my unit. I have resorted to removing the battery and leaving it out for the time being.

I wonder if doing that will result in a stack of partial files (generated from every unclean shutdown), that can not be deleted by the cam, which might mean the card needs a manual format after a few days of driving (similar to having a card full of protected files).

This would also mean you would loose up to a minute of footage after you shut down (assuming you are set to one min segments), so if you have a bad crash and switch off your car from instinct, you have lost the footage :(

Gizmo.

I wonder if doing that will result in a stack of partial files (generated from every unclean shutdown), that can not be deleted by the cam, which might mean the card needs a manual format after a few days of driving (similar to having a card full of protected files).

This would also mean you would loose up to a minute of footage after you shut down (assuming you are set to one min segments), so if you have a bad crash and switch off your car from instinct, you have lost the footage :(

Gizmo.

That's exactly what's going to happen. The critical video you need from the future moment of truth impact will be corrupted and missing.

it's a not a guarantee of course but if you're getting corrupt files you don't want it letting you down the one time you need it most, for any camera the memory card is always a liability so regular checking of files is always a good idea regardless

I have x2 I am fiddling with..

one has the front camera working and one the rear !

By wiggling the appropriate camera cable I can get both working briefly but there is obviously a fault on the camera connection inside both units - I get the freezing of the camera when the the camera cable connection fails after I have managed to get it going briefly...

That's exactly what's going to happen. The critical video you need from the future moment of truth impact will be corrupted and missing.

This is interesting... I did a trial run today, and pulled the footage - all 2 hours of it. I expected to see corrupt files that perhaps wouldn't open. What I found was simply the last file missing (file names were not consecutive, and consistant with the stops of the car), but no trace of a corrupt file.

Now, I have an idea that uses a Nidac CT1 timer (I LOVE these timers - so flexible!). I will fit an additional accessory socket - just for the camera. This socket will be powered with accessories, but will remain powered after the acc is switched off for a configurable time (say, 5 mins to cover future settings changes of the cam).

This should ensure that the unit continues to record after the car is switched off, and the last minutes will not be of consequence when lost.

Something I noticed this afternoon was also promising. When the unit starts up again after a bad shutdown (missing battery), the screen displays "recovering..." for a brief second. I think this is a file cleanup of whatever was left over before the shutdown - if not closed completely.

I will do some tests on the weekend - one to verify this by doing an abrupt shutdown, then inspecting the card. I will see if there is a partial file there, and then put the card back and see if the unit does indeed delete it.

If this is the case, there is no reason why the timer can't be a reliable (albeit cludge) of a fix.

In the past I have used these timers to trigger the camera for an extended period of time using the car alarm siren or shock sensor outputs, so this is now no a good reason to add this again, and be triggered off either the ignition OR the siren output from the alarm.

Schematics will be posted for all who want to attempt this if it is succesful.

Gizmo.

This should ensure that the unit continues to record after the car is switched off, and the last minutes will not be of consequence when lost.

In the event of an accident, external power may be cut, the power cable may be severed or it's plug ripped from the camera socket.

There's no real alternative to a functioning battery or capacitor within the camera. Without it, the clip containing the evidence of the accident may be lost.

Just yesterday I ordered 1pc from Chinawhich anounce newest batch is most stable FW and most stable hardware ,they anounce they are offering factory outlet price
with 1 year free warranty,seems not too bad,I will share my test feedback 20days later if parcel flies to my hand :

I heard from a Chinese seller said newest K1S produced after August are most stable with newest firmware,older PCBA I listen from my friend that battery can get hot easily but newer PCBA is much more stable,excited to test my gadget;)

Back