Laser Rangefinder + Telephoto Dash Cam = Need Help

Maybe I understand something wrong, but for me 50/50 means the horizon in the center... :unsure:
Yes, but normally the sky starts above the trees and buildings, not at the horizon, so 50/50 does not mean 50% sky, but many people think it does! And when Viofo say more road than sky, they probably mean 50/50 as you understand it. :)

Yes, but normally the sky starts above the trees and buildings, not at the horizon, so 50/50 does not mean 50% sky, but many people think it does! And when Viofo say more road than sky, they probably mean 50/50 as you understand it. :)
I always advise driving onto a flat section of the road where the horizon is visible and adjusting the lens so that the frame shows 50% sky and 50% earth.

I suspect that is going to be the same as "putting the horizon in the centre", and "aligning the lens horizontal".
Because of the amount of zoom, there will not be a lot of sky, so more road, cars and buildings than sky, is horizontal.
Maybe the 50-50 rule is actually wrong for all cameras, and the rule should be horizontal - horizon in the centre.
So confusing.
Why can't we just have HLA (horizontal line adjustment) in APP live view, or on LCD screen?

Reactions: Mtz
So confusing.
Why can't we just have HLA (horizontal line adjustment) in APP live view, or on LCD screen?
You can buy a Viofo A119 V3, install an few years old beta firmware from Viofo or some custom firmware and you will have HLA on the camera LCD screen. :cool:
Viofo had such line before any chinese dashcam manufacturer. But some idiot complained that the HLA is scary so they removed it forever from the firmware. And not forget that the line disappear about few seconds, but it was displayed few seconds at every startup. So at every startup that line can confirm your camera is correctly aligned. Of course for non-suction cup this line is not so important because once you fixed it, it remains forever if you will not touch the lens.
Also I dont imagine that people are looking at the LCD screen at every start up and start to panic their LCD is broken.

But for a camera with suction cup and no screen the HLA is a must on the APP even I don't expect people will look at the app at every mounting the camera on the windshield.

From what I see on YouTube, most people don't have 50-50%, most of them have more sky but this is intentionally, just because they want to not record motor hood or dashboard. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Of course a nice solution for such persons is 21:9 AR but most of them don't know it exists (will be available in future firmwares for A229 Pro and A229 Plus for front and rear only) and when you will tell them that 21:9 is available they will start to complain that they want to see more image. Even that part of the image, the sky, is never useful in a dashcam video and more than that it affects negatively the image quality. For some of them is like they paid for more image and somebody is telling them to use less than they paid. And not forget that there are evem more stupid which are paying money on a dashcam which is offering 4:3 image and they are happy because they paid less money for more pixels. Even those pixels are wasted on sky and dashboard.
21:9 should be the default AR in any dashcam video.

You can buy a Viofo A119 V3, install an few years old beta firmware from Viofo or some custom firmware and you will have HLA on the camera LCD screen. :cool:
So confusing.
Why can't ask GSE or other comrade to make a custom firmware with HLA? lol

DOL-HDR blur will be more pronounced too.
Another quote from theory, internet, books, ChatGPT or imagination, again. :(

From my experience from real life recordings the telephoto lens have less blur compared to standard lens.
Where is more motion blur?

The original video fragment (16MB size) of the screenshots is here for 7 days.

Attachments

• Normal lens-4k.png
    Normal lens-4k.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • Telephoto-2K.png
    Telephoto-2K.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
DOL-HDR blur will be more pronounced too.

No, not from AI :confused: That was from my own experience.

However I agree that there is less relative movement across the frame when the telephoto captures an oncoming car at a greater distance than the normal camera.

No, not from AI :confused: That was from my own experience.

However I agree that there is less relative movement across the frame when the telephoto captures an oncoming car at a greater distance than the normal camera.
There is less blur, only if the vehicle is traveling towards or away from you.
On corners, roundabouts, junctions, there will likely be more Blur, although with DOL-HDR the background blur often doesn't matter.

From my experience from real life recordings the telephoto lens have less blur compared to standard lens.
Where is more motion blur?

The original video fragment (16MB size) of the screenshots is here for 7 days.
There are two different sensors in use which may be part of the difference 4K vs 2K. The 2K sensors pixels might be larger which would give it more light sensitivity.

There are two different sensors in use which may be part of the difference 4K vs 2K. The 2K sensors pixels might be larger which would give it more light sensitivity.
The 2K and 4K pixels are exactly the same size, both sensors are the same generation of Starvis 2, both using DOL-HDR.

Back