learners

dashy

Reaction score
Country
Australia

From my Mobius.
I could hear the holden red P plater screaming on my left, then I hear the bike screaming and see the car turning left and about to slow, so I slowed and moved to the right otherwise IMO the bike would have touched my front left and crashed or just lose control trying to squeeze by.
I was still accelerating(up hill) but slowed down as I heard the bike scream and about to come by, the footage doesn't show me slowing though.

Last edited:
Why did you position your vehicle in the right handle lane after the right turn. Did you know that the Discovery was going to turn left?

I didn't know what the disco was going to do, how would I? it is 60 kph zone, I can position my car in either lane.

I didn't know what the disco was going to do, how would I?
I thought you may have been a regular user of that stretch and had seen the Discovery turn off there previously and that would explain why you chose the right hand lane.

it is 60 kph zone, I can position my car in either lane.
In the U.K., as in a lot of country's, you only use an overtaking lane when you're actually overtaking. Obviously that doesn't apply in Oz.

I often look at some video clips on here and think what's supposed to be wrong here? different countries drive on different sides of the road to us in the UK which is confusing, just as our clips will be confusing to those who drive on the right. Also, different countries have different road rules even though they drive on the same side as us. As Error7 says, in the UK you would keep to the nearside lane unless there was a valid reason not to do so.
Was the bike doing anything illegal by overtaking on the left? he/she would be in the UK in the circumstances shown, but was he/she doing something illegal in your country?

Frank

Here in NSW we are to keep left where the speed limit is 80kph+, or if there are signs that tell us to keep left.

The bike and the Holden both went some 30kph over the 60kph speed limit, that is illegal.

The bike should have waited when the car in front of him was turning instead of making illegal change of lanes, like I said I was still accelerating and if I wanted I assure you I could have been 8meters further up the road when he changed lanes, what would be the chance of him not clipping one of the two 2 meter vehicles???

I heard him revving the motor some 3 seconds before he showed up in the video footage, during that time I stopped accelerating and dropped my speed a bit.

When the car turning first indicated, the bike was (from what I can hear from his motor)some 10 meters behind me in the left lane, how could this move to be legal?

The bike should have waited when the car in front of him was turning instead of making illegal change of lanes, like I said I was still accelerating and if I wanted I assure you I could have been 8meters further up the road when he changed lanes, what would be the chance of him not clipping one of the two 2 meter vehicles???

I heard him revving the motor some 3 seconds before he showed up in the video footage, during that time I stopped accelerating and dropped my speed a bit.

When the car turning first indicated, the bike was (from what I can hear from his motor)some 10 meters behind me in the left lane, how could this move to be legal?
This is my point, in the UK, overtaking on the inside (except under certain circumstances) is illegal, but changing lanes isn't. Speeding is illegal in both our countries of course.

Frank

The motorbike rider is still on a learner licence,(look near his number plate) he should not be doing these kind of moves.

The motorbike rider is still on a learner licence,(look near his number plate) he should not be doing these kind of moves.
Sorry! I don't understand this comment at all, who are you to say what he/she should or should not do? Do you know this person? do you know how skilled a rider he/she is? they didn't seem to lack confidence and handled the bike OK, overtook that disco smoothly, and had obviously assessed the situation before manouvering.
For all you know, this person could have been on their way to take their driving test and been an hour(?) away from being a qualified rider.

As I said in the first place, UK driving laws are different to yours. In the UK you would have been seen to be hogging the right lane and causing an obstruction (no matter what the speed limit is) and therefore in the wrong. BUT you are not in the UK and your rules of the road are different. I am trying to grasp what the issue is.
Are you saying that where you live, if you are behind a vehicle which indicates and slows down to turn left, you are not allowed to move into the right lane to pass it?

Frank

Sorry! I don't understand this comment at all, who are you to say what he/she should or should not do? Do you know this person? do you know how skilled a rider he/she is? they didn't seem to lack confidence and handled the bike OK, overtook that disco smoothly, and had obviously assessed the situation before manouvering.
For all you know, this person could have been on their way to take their driving test and been an hour(?) away from being a qualified rider.

Frank

I am just a person who can identify stupid driving or in this case, riding, when I see it.
What something might seem to you could seem different to others,
How exactly do you know that he/she had assessed the situation before manoeuvring?
Doing something illegal all the time on the roads can lead to bad accidents, or are you saying just because someone could be skilled while operating their machine means they can get away by braking road rules in the manner illustrated in this video footage?

As I said in the first place, UK driving laws are different to yours. In the UK you would have been seen to be hogging the right lane and causing an obstruction (no matter what the speed limit is) and therefore in the wrong. BUT you are not in the UK and your rules of the road are different. I am trying to grasp what the issue is.

I have explained why I was in the right lane, I can't explain it any further.

Are you saying that where you live, if you are behind a vehicle which indicates and slows down to turn left, you are not allowed to move into the right lane to pass it?

I didn't say anything close to this, I have explained what the situation was and if you read what I wrote in post number 6 you would understand.

Basically if the motorbike was ahead of me when the car indicated to turn then it would probably be fine if he/she changed lanes.

Remember, I was still accelerating, and close to the maximum speed limit, how does it make it legal to speed up and try to go ahead of my car while getting close to the car that was about to turn?
Also what if someone was crossing the road at this time? how could the rider see that while behind the turning car???

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Well to be honest, it doesn't. I was trying to get some clarification on the rules of the road in your country, but when I ask a direct question you avoid it.
I'll ask someone else next time.

Frank

I think the point that Boxerman and myself are trying to make is that if you had been in the correct lane, the left hand lane, then neither the Holden, nor the motorbike would have needed to undertake you.

You say that:
Here in NSW we are to keep left where the speed limit is 80kph+, or if there are signs that tell us to keep left.
which is fine if that is the rule in NSW, but the Holden and the bike obviously wanted to go faster than you, you were using the right hand lane so you shouldn't complain if they pass you by using the only other lane available to them.

I think the point that Boxerman and myself are trying to make is that if you had been in the correct lane, the left hand lane, then neither the Holden, nor the motorbike would have needed to undertake you.

You say that: which is fine if that is the rule in NSW, but the Holden and the bike obviously wanted to go faster than you, you were using the right hand lane so you shouldn't complain if they pass you by using the only other lane available to them.
I don't think that dashy is objecting to them overtaking him, just that they both appear from their plates to be learner drivers and so should be leaving far more space for mistakes, misjudgements and the unexpected?...

They don't appear to be complete beginners though and I would have thought that with faster vehicles behind, dashy should have taken the left lane unless there was a reason not to, I don't see any reason to have forced them to overtake on the dangerous side. However I've never driven in Oz so don't know either the rules or what is expected.

I often look at some video clips on here and think what's supposed to be wrong here?
More worryingly, I often look at those clips and think that the poster was at least as much at fault as the people he/she is accusing!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you) 4