Let down by my 0806 ... again

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
For the second time, I've had a prang and needed cam footage to show I was driving carefully. Both times the key recordings have been lost.

Mistakes I made:
  1. Turning off the ignition completely after the incident.
  2. Turning the ignition back on to move the vehicle without removing the memory card or camera.
The first gives the camera the opportunity to screw up during the shutdown process, failing to properly save that precious final minute of footage.
The second gives it the chance to overwrite what might have been recoverable data.

I know I should avoid those things, but in the heat of an accident, even a minor one, the camera is not the first thing on your mind. And do I really want to leave the key in the ignition when I get out to swap details?

I did remove the memory card and put it in a write-protected SD adapter before continuing my day, but it seems to have been for naught. Recovery utilities have not found what I needed.

I have had a few battery low klaxon sounds recently - but not during this incident. I use an expensive Samsung ProPlus memory card.

I might put in a new battery, or capacitor, but that wouldn't restore my trust. The only way I know this thing can be made reliable is to keep power on for at least one minute (full file) after the ignition is turned off.

Timer circuit, here I come.

2nd could be avoided, as you did or by locking the file.

My month old car's front bumper was scratched by a car rolling back at a traffic signal on a slightly sloped road in Jaipur. The lying twit tells the cops that I hit him from behind while he was stationary. I was utterly disappointed on seeing my Mini 0805's indicator light frozen and not finding the footage in question. A couple of gentlemen that has witnessed the incident came forward, resulting in me getting an apology + compensation there and then.

These are just not reliable, may work great most of the time but will mess up when you need them the most.

2nd could be avoided, as you did or by locking the file.
Hell, no! I've lost recordings in the past by hitting the lock button. Nothing important, but I learned that lesson well. It was triggering a shutdown.

Now I still use the lock button for interesting but unimportant events. And recently it hasn't caused any problems. Maybe it depends on the memory card, or how good the cable connection is. Frankly, it doesn't matter why. For anything important you need to let the 0806 finish its current recording file untouched. Don't tempt fate. Once that file is saved - and it almost certainly will get saved if power stays on - it is very safe until the entire card gets overwritten.
I had a second memory card in the camera. Normally goes unused. But when you take out the main card with the important recording it will start using the other card.

That's worse. Reiterating my point, these can't be wholly relied on. Time for a change, I say.

Back