Letter to Pittasoft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR650GW-2CH and Mini 0806
Ok, so not a letter as such, but I wonder if they will listen if enough of us send this kind of request?
------
I’ve been using the Blackvue DR650-2CH for some time now, and although the functionality, build quality and reliability are all very good, the recording bit rate is just too low to be of use when reading licence plates or picking out any fine detail. Even on the highest quality setting on older (1.009) and latest (2.004) firmware levels, the cameras do not provide enough detail to be useful. Have triad 30fps and 15fps too. I also have a single channel dash cam that was about ⅓ of the price of the Blackvue, and the video from this is far better!

I’m sure you’ve had many request for image quality improvements, hopefully these requests will result in positive action from yourselves? You have some stiff competition now from the likes of Thinkware and even the far cheaper Chinese cameras...

Best regards

Last edited:
Ok, so not a letter as such, but I wonder if they will listen if enough of us send this kind of request?
------
I’ve been using the Blackvue DR650-2CH for some time now, and although the functionality, build quality and reliability are all very good, the recording bit rate is just too low to be of use when reading licence plates or picking out any fine detail. Even on the highest quality setting on older (1.009) and latest (2.04) firmware levels, the cameras do not provide enough detail to be useful. Have triad 30fps and 15fps too. I also have a single channel dash cam that was about ⅓ of the price of the Blackvue, and the video from this is far better!

I’m sure you’ve had many request for image quality improvements, hopefully these requests will result in positive action from yourselves? You have some stiff competition now from the likes of Thinkware and even the far cheaper Chinese cameras...

Best regards

I thought a firmware update the end of the month was going to address the bit rate issue.

Only to take it back to having 8.5mbps on highest setting.

By comparison. My DOD LS470W+ runs at approx 18mbps

I run both cameras and the difference between the two for image quality is very very noticeable.

Only to take it back to having 8.5mbps on highest setting.

By comparison. My DOD LS470W+ runs at approx 18mbps

I run both cameras and the difference between the two for image quality is very very noticeable.

What is it running on the current firmware? No question this camera is flakey as hell when it comes to reliability.

As a fellow 650 owner I concur with @Slim40something that Pittasoft has set a very low bitrate. My cameras have witnessed many illegal and dangerous driving acts and accidents that have put many lives in danger. My car has been hit and vandalized... also caught on video.

ALL RECORDED VIDEO WAS WORTHLESS LEGALLY BECAUSE THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH DETAIL IN VIDEO TO SHOW LICENSE PLATE!!!!

NIGHT TIME VIDEO IS NOT IN HDR / OVEREXPOSURE

MOTION TRACKING RECORDS EVERYTHING INCLUDING A MOSQUITO FARTING

NO GOOD WAYS TO FIND EVENTS. CANNOT SEARCH BY SOUND NOR GSENSORS.

I once believed in Blackvue . Pittasoft but now I tell others to avoid them.

Current bit rates are 6mbs for the front and 2mbs for the rear. Same situation as Wave Junkie for the collection of speeders, red light runners etc I have. Can only assume the upped 8.5mbs will be shared between front and rear, less than useless!
Running the system as 15fps instead of 30fps adds a tiny bit of detail if inspected closely, but still light years away from what the Mini 0806 spits out.
Thinkware, looks like you have yourself a new customer when the F770 hits the shelves.

PS To record an event, give the camera a tap if / when something happens and it will mark it as an event. File name will end in EF.mp4 and ER.mp4 instead of NF.mp4 / NR.mp4

It will be 8.5mbps front and 3mbps rear.

That should make a big difference, wonder if this guy knows about it ;-)
Got the reply just 2 days after sending, so they were quick to reply. Did send a sample too, but got bounced saying their mailbox is full...
---------
Dear Customer
We thank you for choosing blackvue and we appreciate your concerns.

Blackvue provides the customers with the best video quality with the 1080P resolution. Most of or customers are very happy with the quality. In your case there might be an issue with the specific dashcam. We would like to see some samples in which you think the quality is not good and you can't see the plates. Also please try to watch the videos in different video viewers, like blackvue viewer latest Windows Media Player and see if you can see the videos clearly.
We have tested our dashcams numerous times and we assure you that it satisfies the best standards that we claim. However we are still working day and night on making the quality more better for our users.

Please let us know if you have any further inquries

Sincerely

I wonder about this part "like blackvue viewer latest Windows Media Player and see if you can see the videos clearly." Are they saying that Blackvue has a Window Media Player.. or admitting the blackvue player is not as good as the "Windows" media player.
It is comforting though to know the have tested the camera at least numerous times..

So the rumours are true, update from a couple of days ago. Was going to re-install the Blackvue in place of the Mini 0806, but going to hold off until the new firmware is released before taking my Range Rover to bits to install. Grrrr!
-------------
Hello Mr Simon
Sorry for getting back late to you.

We analyzed the files you sent. This is because you are using the cloud compatible firmware and we do admit that the quality is a little lower on cloud compatible firmwares (v 2.004) with respect to the cloud incompatible version (v 1.011), in which you would be able to see the plates clearly.
However we are releasing a new firmware (v2.005) by next month in which the bitrate will be imporoved to 8 Mbps and the quality will be much better.
If you see the footage with the newest blackvue PC viewer ( 2.50) you will see the quality improved so please try it.

That's great to know. Maybe I'll try 1.011.

@modsl55amg did you see this?

I was running 1.009 until an hour ago, it looks like the changes from 1.009 to 1.011 are just stability improvements (according to the notes I've found - keep in mind I couldn't find any for 1.010). Video still appears to be 8Mbps. No improvement there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F DR650GW (1CH or 2CH) 8
Back