Licence plate readability, is this normal?

That's not quite correct. Time lapse refers to the capturing of footage with a "lapse" between frames regardless of how fast the footage is played back.
This is what I've been trying to understand. The concept of "lapse". I originally thought it meant for 30 fps, there was a "lapse" of 1/30 second between frames, and for 1 fps there was a "lapse" of 1 second per frame.

I forgot to say, my time lapse of the night sky,m that is 5 hours of countless photos compressed into a short video.

The insta 360 ACE pro can also do star trails, where each star leave a trail you can choose the length off, in this case a used short trail.
This video with 10 seconds faster exposure and so much darker ( also recorded in darker place at my friends place )

First regular time lapse, then the same recording as star trail.

To do time lapse you needed an expensive electro-mechanical device called an intervelometer that could set how often the camera would shoot a photo.
A lot of the early ones were done manually, such as plant growing with frames every time it grew 1mm or whatever.
There is no requirement that the intervals are consistent in timing.

Lapse basically means "pause", which creates a gap between frames that gives the illusion in video of speeding up time.

I think lapse means "loss", as in loss of time, so the next frame is recorded late.
A memory lapse is a loss of information, not delayed information.

This is what I've been trying to understand. The concept of "lapse". I originally thought it meant for 30 fps, there was a "lapse" of 1/30 second between frames, and for 1 fps there was a "lapse" of 1 second per frame.
If frames are played back at the speed they are recorded then there is no loss/lapse of time. The interval between frames is referred to as frame rate.

I think technically, the parking mode time-lapse is a time-lapse, while the driving mode time-lapse should maybe be called a hyper-lapse since the camera is moving.

If you record faster than the playback speed then it is known as slow-motion.

A lot of the early ones were done manually, such as plant growing with frames every time it grew 1mm or whatever.

I think lapse means "loss", as in loss of time, so the next frame is recorded late.
That's why I originally thought 30 fps was also "time lapse" recording, with a 1/30 second "lapse" between frames. But for there to be "time lapse recording" it seems playback time has to be faster than record time as @Nigel said. My head hurts.

I find the best thing for me is just to play with stuff, learning in the traditional way is no good for me, hence why my school days over 4 decades ago, i still call those 9.5 years the biggest trauma of my life.
That could possible also in some way be one of the reasons i have not fathered any children myself, i would hate for anyone to have a experience like i had back then.

Memory? You are merely citing a single and specific use of an instance of the word "lapse" applied to a subject, not the actual definition and meaning of the word itself.

It doesn't matter what you "think" the word means.

It also has nothing to do with "delayed information" as you put it. For purposes of video playback it has to do with missing information. (frames)

The definition of the word "lapse", separated from any "subject' it may be applied to is:

A usually minor or temporary failure
A break in continuity; a pause
A period of time; an interval

However you may wish to define the word "lapse", NIgel, it has nothing to do with your original statement that "time lapse" is the speed at which you play back a video.

It is always amusing how your usual style of debating when anyone disagrees with you is to change the subject, and that is exactly what you are doing again here when you'd rather to to create a distraction by discussing a subjective definition of the word "lapse" rather than address the fact that I took issue with your statement that time lapse is all about playing back a video at a faster speed.

Timelapse just means played back faster than original speed.

Last edited:
I think it would have been better if Time lapse recording was called "Time Compression Recording" since the playback time is "compressed" relative to when the real time event occurred.
Similarly, Slow motion recording would be "Time Expansion Recording" since the playback time is stretched out relative to the real time event.

This Wikipedia citation kind of helps but I still struggle with the word "lapsing".

Time-lapse photography is a technique in which the frequency at which film frames are captured (the frame rate) is much lower than the frequency used to view the sequence. When played at normal speed, time appears to be moving faster and thus lapsing.

Last edited:
I find the best thing for me is just to play with stuff, learning in the traditional way is no good for me, hence why my school days over 4 decades ago, i still call those 9.5 years the biggest trauma of my life.
That could possible also in some way be one of the reasons i have not fathered any children myself, i would hate for anyone to have a experience like i had back then.
Me too. When I had to complete lab work with other students I never learned well in that environment. I needed to struggle with it on my own and play with it myself. Those were stressful classes for me.

To do time lapse you needed an expensive electro-mechanical device called an intervelometer that could set how often the camera would shoot a photo.

Well, so what?

Intervalometers have been around for nearly 100 years and it has been the standard method for time lapse analogue and digital photography a long, long time. What ls the point of making a petty argument about how it was once done manually?
Oh wait! I almost forgot who I'm dealing with here. :rolleyes:

An intervalometer merely automates the process of shooting frames at different intervals of time and provides more accurate results. It was initially invented for scientific purposes, not entertaining videos.

Indeed, if you want your time lapse film to play smoothly you want to shoot at a consistent interval. Sure, I guess you could shoot at random intervals but nobody would do that because the results would be inferior, so again, why make such a ridiculous argument?

Back