License Plates ?

finch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

I received my new SG9665GC right before I had a family member go into the hospital where they still are today.
So my spouse has been acquiring footage, and I take a very brief look each night when I come home from the hospital.

The images look pretty good on a quick glance, but I have noticed that License Plates are only readable when the other vehicles are close, directly in front or the very next lane over, and the relative motion between my spouse's vehicle and the other vehicles is very slow or zero.

For example, plate numbers of parked cars are a complete blur when looking at cars parked to the right and going down a street at 15mph or more.

Is this normal for this unit?

Is this the norm for all dashcams because they are 30fps not 60fps, use lossier compression, slower bit rates, and wider lenses than camcorders? (My Panasonic 1080/60p camcorder set at wide angle can produce clear license plate images at highway speed if you pause the playback.)

Any info appreciated.

TIA

how well you can view license plates has heaps of variables, speed, motion, field of view, lighting

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies so far.

Just to clarify, I was referring to getting readable images of the license plate numbers during daylight hours.
I should have written that explicitly. Sorry.
I did not even consider night time because I know that it is a severe challenge for the imaging chip in all video recording devices.

Just to clarify, I was referring to getting readable images of the license plate numbers during daylight hours.
Yes. Normal.

Does any dashcam handle this better?
Or are they all about equally matched for this?

no camera catches every plate, not possible with current technology

Especially true in the US/Canada where the plates are much smaller than many other countries.

Back