LK-7900 Ace "clunks" and night flickering

Takeover

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I bit the bullet after years and years on deciding if I should get a dash cam or not and I decided about two days ago I would. I bought the LK-7900 Ace after hearing how great it is and everything. I also bought a 37MM CPL filter which has been attached since day 1 of use.

The camera itself is larger than what I had thought it was going to be. Before firing it up, I made sure it had the latest firmware on the device which updated no problem at all. After my first night of use, I was going through the footage of my first run while working, and after I picked my girlfriend up I noticed a folder called "Events" there are about 3 files inside of it all with the same sound on this video:

Skip to .8 mark

Has anyone got an idea of whats going on here? It sounds like a rock hitting the underside of the car, but its not as loud as you hear on the video. Also it only seems to happen when I turn left and not every time I turn left either I've never noticed anything like this before I got the camera so... I don't think its an issue with the car.

Also one more thing about night time driving, there seems to be a little white grain when it comes to night time driving also it flickers from light to dark. Anyone know the cause or fix to this?

Does this unit have a G sensor? It could be too sensitive or mis-calibrated. As for the flickering at night, that's probably from the camera adjusting gain based on the brightness of the scene.

Sorry, how do I know if my unit has a G sensor?

The G sensor in my lk 7500 at least is too sensetive even using the setting LOW, but it is possible to enter your own values.

I did so after revieving event footage in the lukas viewer and taking notise to witch one of the x - y - z axis that caused the event and how high the number was.

I ended up with 2 of the axis arounf 0.8 if i am not mistaking and then 1 axis set to just over 1.0, after those ajustments the Danish streets only gave me event recordings once every 2 days or there about.

After a while i disabled event recording all together as my camera is allways recording, event recordings have to be kept at a minimum as it is files that the camera can not overwrite, so they will have to be deleted on the computer.

I too think the flikering is camera ajusting values on the go to get best Picture.

you can see that in the lukas viwer under basic settings, there you can disable G sensor all together or enter custom values.

lukas_basic.jpg

It is only Driving mode you have to ajust, the sensetiviety for parking mode is okay at very sensetive.

The X Y Z valuse is at the bottom of the window when you play back a recording with the lukas player, each in its own color to keep track of them.

lukas_G_sensor.jpg

Last edited:
The flickering might be lower if you tilt your camera a little more down, the default for all dashcams is thats its best to have more of what is below the horizont in picture ( 2/3 below horizont - 1/3 above horizont ) that way the camera will ajust itself to the lighting conditions on the road in front of the car, and then the sky might be a little off.
But who care about the sky, its rarely up there the interesting stuff is :)

All lukas dashcams have G sensor, and yours for sure have since its making event recordings.

Forgot to say the higher the number for G sensor the less sensetive it is, the 2 of the axis is the worst, the one who is strait up/down as thats the one thats beeing triggered by potholes and so on, and the other is the forward / backward axix as thats the one who get triggered when braking hard. ( or getting rear ended )

It take a couple of days to get the custom values for G sensor right, but in the end i just disabled G sensor as i dont see a reason for it as i allways record, and the parking part is only in play if you have the camera on a permanent power source witch i dont.

Last edited:
That cling-clang sound is the G-sensor bell going off. Lower the sensitivity. Your girlfriend sounds grumpy about it, lol

Thanks for the help and advice everyone! I just decided to disable the G-Sensor for driving all in total. I figured I don't really need it on anyways if I'm going to get rear ended or end up in a crash the thing is going to be rolling anyways like kamkar1 said. so I can just go through the footage and pull what I need when I need.

Your girlfriend sounds grumpy about it, lol

Lol she was pissed at me for a joke I made earlier so she was a little grumpy.

I did see you mentioned you have a CPL filter on the dash cam. Night videos will be darker with it on, so adjust the brightness one step higher to compensate.

Kelvin

Back