LK-7900 & Eye-Fi

RaffRaff

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR650S-2CH
image.jpg Would the Lukas black boxes work with wireless Eye-Fi cards?
It would be great to save videos to my iPhone.

Transcend has class 10 SD cards in 16 and 32 GB capacities.

Last edited:
need to check the file structure, some of these have some default folders setup that don't agree with the cameras own file structure needs, have seen mixed reports about them working, or not

need to check the file structure, some of these have some default folders setup that don't agree with the cameras own file structure needs, have seen mixed reports about them working, or not
True. I didn't think about the fact that Lukas formats the SD card with two partitions: (a) low level proprietary LINUX and (b) a standard windows partition. I'll have to look into how these EYE-FI cards are set up. Damned, It was a nice idea for a moment though....

Hmm... The photographer in me poked around a bit and I found this slightly biased review of the EYE-Fi v. Transcend Wi-Fi cards here:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4616822206/battle-of-the-wi-fi-cards-eye-fi-vs-transcend

Calling all programmers and hackers, the Transcend Wi-Fi cards can be hacked:

http://haxit.blogspot.ch/2013/08/hacking-transcend-wifi-sd-cards.html

This seems way cool - maybe someone here can take a look and compare differences between the Lukas and Transcend Linux systems? Who knows what can be found?

Forgot to mention that the cards use BusyBox as the embedded system. Don't know much about it, but it would be interesting if Lukas used some port of this open source software.

Last edited:
Hi

Yes, the Lukas black box may be able to work with wireless SD readers.
We are not much knowledgeable about that, however, we saw a user used PQ* wifi card with Lukas.

However, it's not recommended to use with dashcams because of below reasons.

1. Transfering video file (not just image) is too much load for SD cards.

2. If there's some irregular voltage input from car (such as when car starting or airconditioning use), the SD card can be affected by electricity.

Best regards,
Jason

Last edited:
Hi Jason.
Are you referring to the eye-fi brand or would any wireless SD card work?

Good morning!

R

Hi Jason.
Are you referring to the eye-fi brand or would any wireless SD card work?

Good morning!

R

Hi R,

It was not with Eye-fi brand though. I saw a Taiwanese brand's wireles PQ* air SD card work with LK7900.

We are now Friday night in Korea :)

Regards,
Jason

Just purchased an Eye-Fi Pro|X2 class 10 WiFi SD card. Was able to format it with the Lukas viewer and save my settings onto the card. The card's OS partition seems to be ok. I'll drop it into my cam tomorrow morning and see what happens. Will report back the results.

Just thinking out loud - from a cost perspective, replacing an eye-fi card every six months will be a drag.

@ RaffRaff it will be interesting to see the results , why does the card need replacing every six month ? and can you post a link as to where you purchased it. Regards Ipol

@Ipol:

I'd posit that since the SD cards are constantly being written to, they're going to fail within 6 months or so (just a wild guess). That's why Lukas recommends that you reformat the cards every couple of weeks. Eventually, I'd expect the cards to fail.

Again, the six month value was just a guess as I have absolutely no data on SD cards being used this aggressively.

This morning I popped the Eye-Fi card into my LK-7900 and it worked, but I have to set up my iPad to receive and save video from the card. Will have to play around with it this weekend.

The card was purchased on eBay and what follows is the OEM site - http://www.eye.fi/products/prox2

The card seems pretty awesome as it can transmit RAW camera files. So.... If I can't get the card working properly, at least I know it works on my Nikon.

Happy Halloween everyone!

RaffRaff

Many thanks for the information RaffRaff I will check out the site,I use a sandisk extreme SD card if nothing interesting has been recorded during the day I usually format the card every evening its about 2ye

sugar hit wrong button 2years old now and still going strong happy halloween to one and all Ipol

@Ipol:

This morning I popped the Eye-Fi card into my LK-7900 and it worked, but I have to set up my iPad to receive and save video from the card. Will have to play around with it this weekend.

The card was purchased on eBay and what follows is the OEM site - http://www.eye.fi/products/prox2

The card seems pretty awesome as it can transmit RAW camera files. So.... If I can't get the card working properly, at least I know it works on my Nikon.

Happy Halloween everyone!

RaffRaff

Hi RaffRaff ... could you tell me (us) about your experience using iPad/iPhone with eye-fi card?

Thank you very much ...

Back