LK-7950 WD VIdeo Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, so I finally got my lk-7950 review done. took longer than I was expecting because of a few bumps in the road the last month. It was sent courtesy of Lukas after MJ had contacted me like other users.

First, I will dump the video:

Over all I like the camera as a 2 channel system. Of course like most other 2 ch systems the video quality would not be acceptable compared to a single channel system but is to be expected still. I have yet to try the newest 2 channel systems announced just this year though.

These are my pros and cons that I sum the video up with at the end:

PROS

Lots of features and accessories

UV and CPL filter options

Dual memory card slot

WiFi with app

Event record button

Video out

OBD option

Voice alerts

ACC/on/off switch

FHD + FHD

Very small discrete rear camera

You can actually set the area that motion detection looks for, similar to many home security cameras.

CONS

Form factor/mount is not my fav

Plastic body looks cheap

CPL blocks the image a bit (may have been my own human error, will check this as other users reported this was not an issue for them, I was convinced my lens was actually slightly ajar)

Wifi dongle, would prefer it built in

Rear camera not removable

----------------------------------------------------------

I actually did not get a chance to really try the parking mode. From what I hear it is very comparable to blackvue or other Korean brands, but I really like that the battery saver/voltage protection is built in. I think high end cams should always just come with the hard wire kit, because anyone spending couple hundred dollars should be hard wiring them anyways.

If anyone else was able to try the parking mode I would like to hear how it worked.

I did try it one day, but it was connected to a CELLINK B and I left it on ON instead of ACC; either way it did not work because the camera did not know to switch to parking mode since it was not hard wired.

----------------------------------------------------------

App

The default password is "00000000" (eight zeros) and it pretty much works just like the blackvue app which has been around for a few years.

There are a few note worthy features though unique to this model such as setting the motion detection zone. This is a feature many home security cameras have but I had not seen it on a dashcam before personally.

You can also set the voltage cut off limit.

You can see here the menu is pretty simple and easy to use.

IMG_1506.PNG
IMG_1495.PNGIMG_1496.PNGIMG_1497.PNGIMG_1498.PNGIMG_1499.PNGIMG_1500.PNGIMG_1501.PNGIMG_1502.PNGIMG_1503.PNG

Last edited:
Viewing Software

So then there is also the PC/MAC software. I only have a PC so this is all I can show but I assume they are the same.

It is pretty straight forward and just like any other viewing software for the most part. It is nice that Lukas offers their own software regardless.

The set up has all the same functions as the app plus a few more features.
cap1.PNG cap2.PNG cap3.PNG cap4.PNG cap5.PNG cap6.PNG cap7.PNG cap8.PNG cap9.PNG

Conclusion

I really did not have any issues with this cam. I had seen a few other users talking about issues such as the trip meter but I did not notice any of those. I did upgrade to the newest firmware and did not notice issues before or after.

I like the camera over all for its wide range of accessories and features, but again, the form factor is a big issue for me. But I also am very picky as many users know, the blackvue design and A118 design are the only form factors that I truly like that do not include separate cameras such as the Panorama X1. I think most consumers would be fine with this form factor though and just like the fact that there are so many options and accessories. The video quality and bit rate of course will stop some people from choosing this model.

I really wish I could have tried the OBD though because that is something I think that could really set it apart from competitors with similar cameras.

Silly question mate but did you take off the UV filter when you added the CPL as if not that will cause the vignetting you saw?

Yea i show in the video how put it on the UV filter then remembered I could take off the UV filter. So I show footage with just the cpl on too. I forgot at first.

But there was still slight vignetting.​
Maybe you didn't screw the CPL filter properly as you noticed there is the back rotating piece that has to be screwed tight on the lens barrel.
The front small rotating piece is just for adjusting/rotating CPL filter direction.

I have the CPL on and it doesn't block anything.

How's the front camera's focus?
In my unit, the rear camera has better focus compared to the front.

Maybe you didn't screw the CPL filter properly as you noticed there is the back rotating piece that has to be screwed tight on the lens barrel.
The front small rotating piece is just for adjusting/rotating CPL filter direction.

I have the CPL on and it doesn't block anything.

How's the front camera's focus?
In my unit, the rear camera has better focus compared to the front.
Hmm well I took the camera off and inspected it because of the vignetting yet it was on all the way and did not look like it was crooked or anything. I'll try again tonight. Maybe it was slightly ajar. But it looked straight and screwed in all the way. but yea i was aware the front piece just rotates the filter. Its just like the cpl I added to my g1w-c.

Thanks, I just hope people realize when I do this I am not bashing it. Some people find constructive criticism to be offensive or bashing, but in reality I am just trying to point out the pros and cons so people can see if it fits their needs.

Oh, one thing I added to my pros, was the fact that you can set the motion detection by area of the screen. I thought that was a really cool feature since I have seen that in home security cameras but never a dash cam (at least that I have used).

Back