LK-9390 teardown

Calgary Dash Camera - Robert

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukasdirect.com Street Guardian BulletHD Calgarydashcam.com
Decided to do a teardown on the LK-9390.

A bit of good news for the LK-9390 & LK-9370.
The gold and silver face plates are easily removed.

**Update, disassembly instructions**
In terms of responsibility. I do not recommend doing this unless you are prepared to void your warranty, and possibly brake your camera.

To open up the Lukas. Remove all accessible screws on the back, and then lift up and remove the center Lukas decal to expose two additional screens. Then pry the back panel off.
*****BE VERY CARFUL WITH LCD RIBBON*****
I recommend leaving the LCD ribbon connected to the main board. The connecting port is very fragile. I have broke this piece of several LK-9700's in the past.

c036dab5c1c04261cbd8fbbe2e210a4f.jpg
616e2cb11b0d69b6d61982f23022bf9b.jpg
a1daee4bf7830b6df686f26ee6c67017.jpg

The camera is indeed using the Ambarella A7LA70 chipset/ processor to power the camera. This chipset is what enables the camera to have the ADAS features.
3bb0578d2370aec7e6ab5f0cebf608b9.jpg
b7069a4c2f188fc350b3fd798d15a547.jpg

Interesting enough, there is a mini USB port and two position switch where the USB wifi dongle would plug in on the LK-9370.
Honestly I have no idea what these would be for. Best guess is Lukas had wanted/ is planing to add wifi to the device.
424dc4f27511ba191114ab998971b30c.jpg
c16bf5c24b69e15da253e28805a3cc5e.jpg

I can positively confirm that the T/S input has three leads.
4bdaf6dfe6580e998f06348ca1840195.jpg

Other then that. I didn't notice anything remarkable.
Below are more photos.
a0ab2cb970fc113fc6b50086fb260639.jpg
ab9ee9d7abc235db671309b78056c933.jpg
204d2298d7a3832f53f655c15b38c276.jpg

Last edited:
Need to buy a spray paint.
Where can I get some black paint? ;)
Seriously, that would have looked much better in all black.

Guessing the hidden mini USB will be for DirectUSB access in case the camera is ever bricked mate :)

Guessing the hidden mini USB will be for DirectUSB access in case the camera is ever bricked mate :)
Or a power port.
I'd like that as power port to use my power bank but :(

Need to buy a spray paint.
Where can I get some black paint? ;)
Seriously, that would have looked much better in all black.

Doubt it would be that difficult to find some spray paint made for plastic.
I could start selling black fronts as a upgrade lol..
When I was meeting with Lukas last month in Hong Kong. They said they were considering manufacturing black faceplates.
Its easy enough to swap out if you know what you are doing.. But I do not recommend that anyone does this.
Opening up your lukas camera will likely void your warranty of course. Moreover it is very easy to damage the LCD cable connecter.

Hmmm very good point! It very well could be.
The Micro USB port isn't even centred with closed off wifi USB port.
I might try plugging it into my macbook if I decide to open it up again.

Doubt it would be that difficult to find some spray paint made for plastic.
I could start selling black fronts as a upgrade lol..
When I was meeting with Lukas last month in Hong Kong. They said they were considering manufacturing black faceplates.
Its easy enough to swap out if you know what you are doing.. But I do not recommend that anyone does this.
Opening up your lukas camera will likely void your warranty of course. Moreover it is very easy to damage the LCD cable connecter.
Hehe... that black paint question is a joke that goes on forums when someone asks too easy questions.
Anywho, electric black tape on front should work fine and even will match glossy body.
Or spray some plastidip from the front after taping the glass area properly.

Or just leave as is depending upon market where seeing a dashcam deters people from committing crime.

Hehe... that black paint question is a joke that goes on forums when someone asks too easy questions.
Anywho, electric black tape on front should work fine and even will match glossy body.
Or spray some plastidip from the front after taping the glass area properly.

Or just leave as is depending upon market where seeing a dashcam deters people from committing crime.

Clearly I haven't spent enough time on DCT :oops:
Haha yah the gold and silver is appealing for the customer who wants to show off their pricy camera :cool:

Thanks Robert for posting the photos of the tear-down. It always helps speed things up when you're not going in blind.

Thanks Robert for posting the photos of the tear-down. It always helps speed things up when you're not going in blind.
No problem!
I am really glad someone found this post useful lol
I really should have mentioned for future viewer that to open up the camera, you need to remove the lukas center decal that sits above the screen. There are two screws underneath.

Back