Looking for a cam, first time buyer

zmon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, been looking at dashcams for a while, but, there's so many it's a bit hard to choose. I'm trying to keep it under $250.

-Looking for 1080. 1080p60 would be nice, but I'm guessing that's definitely not available on a sub 250 camera.
-Good day/night performance. I drive a lot at night, and it get's quite sunny here in the south during the day
-Ability to see license plates clearly at a reasonable distance
-Needs to be able to hold up to Louisiana weather (generally 90+ F every day, and the sun beating on the car, so it gets fairly hot in the car even with ceramic tint all around, and some Air 80 tint on the windshield)
-Discreet style, don't want something that looks out of place.
-No preference on an LCD. If it comes with one, are they always on, or can you turn them off?
-Looking for a prebuffer (parking mode?)/something that's always recording (would be preferred)

I think the 2016 version of the SG9665GC might fill these criteria, but I haven't seen much about wiring it up for always on recording. Do these come with a hard wiring kit, or is that something that needs to be purchased separately?

wanting to run it all day in a hot environment is hard on cameras, doesn't do your vehicle battery any favours long term either really, the cameras that typically offer this function will be using lower bitrate to try and combat heat issues, this works to an extent but you then lose quality when it matters most, when moving

Ah, what about just motion sensing then? I guess that would be an appropriate alternative.

Back