Looking for a decent, 3 channel video switch.

Squanto

Reaction score
Country
United States
My truck has a lot of factory cameras including 1 in the third brake light overlooking the bed. And it does a decent job of displaying that video in the center console screen and can be used as sort of a rear view mirror. But about 50% of the time I'm towing my trailer so it shows me the front of the trailer.

I also have a cam on the back of the trailer but that can only be displayed full screen.

I'm also considering putting in a side bed cam to assist with connecting the trailer.

I would like to have a switch to select which of the 3 camera's output is sent to the display. I cannot think of a situation where I would want to view more than one camera at a time.

Is there something like that that isn't super expensive?

My truck has a lot of factory cameras including 1 in the third brake light overlooking the bed. And it does a decent job of displaying that video in the center console screen and can be used as sort of a rear view mirror. But about 50% of the time I'm towing my trailer so it shows me the front of the trailer.

I also have a cam on the back of the trailer but that can only be displayed full screen.

I'm also considering putting in a side bed cam to assist with connecting the trailer.

I would like to have a switch to select which of the 3 camera's output is sent to the display. I cannot think of a situation where I would want to view more than one camera at a time.

Is there something like that that isn't super expensive?

Presumption:
If the cameras are AV eg old fashion analog signals.
You could try a wafer/rotary switch.
The type you might need is a 2 pole 3 position type.
These are cheap.

Here is an example of what it looks like.
3P (3 Pole) 4 positions

1703204634813.png1703204587352.png

Example how wire it. Watch video from this time point. ~15.47
Something to get you started.

electric version
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00WW8N5SW1703205821388.png

Last edited:
For a 3CH dash cam, you can press the button to switch the camera video source.

My truck has a lot of factory cameras including 1 in the third brake light overlooking the bed.

For a 3CH dash cam, you can press the button to switch the camera video source.

I think he is referring to what is builtin to his truck from factory.

Presumption:
If the cameras are AV eg old fashion analog signals.
You could try a wafer/rotary switch.
The type you might need is a 2 pole 3 position type.
These are cheap.

Here is an example of what it looks like.
3P (3 Pole) 4 positions

View attachment 69849View attachment 69848

Example how wire it. Watch video from this time point. ~15.47
Something to get you started.

electric version
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00WW8N5SWView attachment 69850
Thanks, I might actually prefer the old school rotary here.

Thanks, I might actually prefer the old school rotary here.
I'm curious what type of video system your truck uses.
What's the make and model?

I seem to recall from an older conversation with @Squanto that he drives a recent model Ford F-350. I don't know anything about the video system in that truck however but I'm sure he can clue us in.

I seem to recall from an older conversation with @Squanto that he drives a recent model Ford F-350. I don't know anything about the video system in that truck however but I'm sure he can clue us in.
Correct. It's a 22 F-350.

I found a pinout for the 12 pin trailer connector used for the trailer and the tire pressure monitor.

trailerplug12_pin_f8591f327729881ed121a26c702c6d9b003d566e.png

I assume there is a similar Video +/- for the CHMSL bed camera.

Then I also want to be able to view a cheap sideways bed camera for when I'm hooking up the trailer.

Correct. It's a 22 F-350.

I found a pinout for the 12 pin trailer connector used for the trailer and the tire pressure monitor.

View attachment 69855

I assume there is a similar Video +/- for the CHMSL bed camera.

Then I also want to be able to view a cheap sideways bed camera for when I'm hooking up the trailer.
Thanks for confirming. @Dashmellow thanks for the input.

Squanto, I can't read your image its to small. I get the idea though. In case you are not aware when you upload a photo you have the choice of making it a thumbnail and when it is clicked on by others it will expand to the full image. You can also make the image smaller or larger by clicking on the image and using the corners to move its size.

You can also alter it once pasted in by clicking on its handles (the little squares on each corner of the image. Just in case you didn't know.

Are you looking for something like this?
1703285947932.png

With the wiring I think you should be fine with the wafer switch. You will need to have some soldering skills and try not to introduce dry solder joints ( this will reduce or even prevent the image to display.) Also keep the switch away from electrical noise like a fan motor, digital radio, CB radio / antenna, ignition wires etc.

Hope that helps.

Different image.

Attachments

• truck_12pin_con_389a9705e2585e8dc6bff1a9a9c8cb1024926ebf.jpg
    truck_12pin_con_389a9705e2585e8dc6bff1a9a9c8cb1024926ebf.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 4
Ok, so this is the CHMSL cam or Bed cam.
20231222_175636.jpg

The view from that can be on screen while diving on the right side.

20231222_175825.jpg

I want to be able to swap that video with the one on the back of the trailer. (Which is actually shown above the backwards COUGAR in the above pic.) Or with a side bed view like this pic taken from my phone.
20231222_175605.jpg

@Squanto
Yeah you get the idea with the attachments now. To make it easy for forum readers could you reduce the size by clicking on them and make them a little smaller because when I click on them now I can enlarged enlarge them which is cool.

I think your next step is to work out if you can get to the back of the head unit to see if it is possible to add a switch etc. I'm guessing that the unit only has one video input. If it had many inputs you might be able to switch it via the head unit no switch required. Just a thought.

Back