Loop Confusion

AndrewFromIdaho

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm confused about how looping should work, how I imagine looping should work, and what's going on with my Mini 0806.

I got my Mini 0806 hardwired a couple months ago. I hadn't actually downloaded anything until yesterday, when my wife mentioned she'd been nearly run off the road by another driver, who then proceeded to do a bunch of burnouts at an intersection.

Now, for this whole time, I've had my Mini set on 3-minute loop mode, with 1 32GB card in slot 1, and 1 64GB card in slot 2. And in my mind, the way this should work is:
  • The camera records video in 3-minute increments until the card is full
  • When it's done, the camera goes back and records-over the oldest 3-minute segment stored on the memory card, moving forward and recording over newer and newer 3-minute segments continuously.
But when I actually opened the card, it looks like it contains a "random" segment of each trip. Sometimes this segment is 3-minute long, other times it's shorter than 3-minutes long. On the trip in question (from about 2-days before I looked at the card) it doesn't cover the idiot burning out and nearly running my wife off the road.

Is my camera functioning "correctly" in a way that I don't understand, or is it not functioning correctly?

What I'd like is for my camera to record everything while I'm driving, then go back and re-record over the oldest footage once it runs out of space. Is this possible?

I'm not sure what firmware I was running, but when I discovered the issue I updated to the May 12, 2015 update.

Thanks! To clarify, the 3-minute loop mode should work like I imagine, where it records everything in 3-minute increments, then goes back and records-over the oldest 3-minute loop on the card once it's full?

I guess it's a possibility, but I've never noticed it blinking or coming off and on during drives, so I don't think that's the issue.

If you have the G-Sensor turned on then some 3 minute clips can get locked as read only when you go over a pot hole in which case they never get deleted leaving less and less space for the loop. Most of us switch the G-Sensor off because otherwise you need to clean the card fairly frequently.

I just checked, when I drive, my blue and green lights stay constant, while my red light blinks.

Thanks for the tip about the G-Sensor too.

So far I've:
  • Disabled the G-Sensor
  • Reformatted my card and moved to a single (64gb) card in slot 1
  • Updated to the latest firmware
Hopefully that'll do the trick. Thanks!

Back