Loose ball joint?

shiffles

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A118C; Mini 0805 (x2); G1W-C
After weeks of waiting, I finally received the adhesive mount for my G1WC so it does a better job of not hanging down so low that it blocks the view.

Only isuee it seems to have is that the ball joint section of the mount seems to be a bit loose. I'd have the screw nut(? idk what you call that) tightened as much as possible but the ball joint would still move. Not sure how it would affect the camera when I go through bumps (and since I commute to Detroit, there's a fair share of them).

Is it just a one of a kind faulty mount that I got? Or am I just not tightening the nut properly? I can't be bothered to return it back to China especially with the threat of a CanadaPost strike. The thing was $3 off of ebay anyway.

If there's also a way to create more friction in the ball joint that would be also good.

8c0c8fc0a9df4e6faf60f828d1fea506.png

(Picture is before it was tightened and stuck to the windshield)

Have you tried the "ball" part from your original suction mount in the adhesive base mount? Might be tighter fit.

I have the ball from the old mount on right now but it's still loose on the y-direction (back & forth).

I'll try the rubber glove once I'm home today

Sent from my Toaster.

Techmoan's tip: sandpaper the ball to remove the smoothness off of its surface. ;)

2c9237e85df511d94179bb4a174bbe3d.jpg

Applied the rubber glove trick and it seems to be a tight fit now and doesn't slide about.

Sent from my Toaster.

The problem with those systems is not that the ball is smaller than it should be, it's that the plastic's surface is smooth and no matter how much you tight the nut, it always ends up slipping. What you did was only putting something sticky between two smooth surfaces.

Back