lost footage with 3 weeks old mobius v3

DawG^

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello,
Today I noticed that I lost some footage for in total 40 minutes. I wanted to view an accident with a motorcycle when I got home, but it's not on it. It didn't start up when I started the car (hardwired to fusebox). The next time I started the car it was OK and recorded fine.
I am using the capacitor and a SanDisk 32 GB Class 4 card.
What are the first things I have to do to find out what causes the problem?
There is an unknown file in the root folder of the sd card named "_disk_id.pod". Does anyone know what that is?
Also, when I start the car, the 12V gets disconnected (for maybe 2 seconds) and then gets power again when the engine runs. Can this be dangerous to damage the camera?

Thanks!

it won't damage the camera but it can cause the camera to shutdown when cranking and not restart as you found out

Thanks.
How should I solve this "problem"? The only thing I can think of is put in the key and start the engine as fast as possible so the camera doesn't get any power before the engine is running.

I think the problem they have is when you start the car while the camera is booting, waiting a bit between key on and cranking might be enough, @Isoprop has mentioned this a few times

I will test it out and check it every time I start my car.
So we can say there is nothing wrong with my camera or card :)

I only started testing this a couple of days ago, so may be completely wrong, and haven't fitted the super cap yet, so things may change.

However, at this stage it appears that if I start the car while the mobius battery charge level led is flashing, the camera will fail to record. If I start the car before the start of, or after the charge level led sequence has finished, the camera seems to start correctly.

This I didn't know!
I normally just start right up without any thoughts to the camera booting up. So far I haven't had any issues yet.

I used to have problems with mine starting up, but since reading the above advice and waiting a few seconds ( 10 - 15 secs after the Mobius boots up ) I no longer have a problem, both front and rear cameras start up and stay on whilst I start the car.

Thanks for the advice Guys :D

I am having the same problem. Couldn't figure it out. Just yesterday I switched out the battery for the recently arrived supercapacitor, changed the appropriate settings using the GUI, and then installed the camera into the vehicle. Set up the wiring and tested the setup. Worked like a charm. However, starting up this morning (and late last night) the camera blinked 3 times with the rear red LED showing the 'full charge' and then shut off. I was able to start it up by pressing the on/off button on the camera. I was unaware that the timing of starting up the vehicle would have any influence on the camera at all. However, after what I have read above, I will follow the advice given and let one and all know what transpires...

Last edited:
I used to have problems with mine starting up, but since reading the above advice and waiting a few seconds ( 10 - 15 secs after the Mobius boots up ) I no longer have a problem, both front and rear cameras start up and stay on whilst I start the car.

Thanks for the advice Guys :D
Further to my last message, I have just made some test runs on the camera/vehicle start up issues. My set up is a Mobius C2 running a super capacitor plugged into an Aukey car charger which turns on when the vehicle accessory is on. In other words, one more turn of the key will engage the starter. If I turn it on to accessory only, the camera will go through it's startup procedure, and begin recording according to the flashing lights on the camera. If I then wait for several seconds before cranking over the engine, the camera shuts off when the engine starts. But, if I just crank over the engine straight away, before giving the camera a chance to 'boot up', all appears to be well. Odd. Seems to be exactly opposite of what I have read above. Just for the record, my set up on the GUI is as follows: Power on-Auto Record is set to 'Both' / Power-Off Disconnect is set to 'Immediate'.

Further to my last message, I have just made some test runs on the camera/vehicle start up issues. My set up is a Mobius C2 running a super capacitor plugged into an Aukey car charger which turns on when the vehicle accessory is on. In other words, one more turn of the key will engage the starter. If I turn it on to accessory only, the camera will go through it's startup procedure, and begin recording according to the flashing lights on the camera. If I then wait for several seconds before cranking over the engine, the camera shuts off when the engine starts. But, if I just crank over the engine straight away, before giving the camera a chance to 'boot up', all appears to be well.

this is a fairly common occurrence for people with this setup where power cuts during cranking

this is a fairly common occurrence for people with this setup where power cuts during cranking

Your SGZC12RC-V2 is extremely tolerant of power disturbances in my car (diesel with glow plugs) as are the Panorama II S and Transcend DP100.
All have been fully tolerant of any start procedure over tens of thousands of miles of driving and none have ever had any kind of hiccup.
Most other cams I've tried in my car have some risk of switching off if there's a delay between moving the key between the first notch and the engine start notch. The same thing could also happen if sitting with engine stopped but radio/12v socket on while waiting to pick someone up.

Your SGZC12RC-V2 is extremely tolerant of power disturbances in my car (diesel with glow plugs) as are the Panorama II S and Transcend DP100.
All have been fully tolerant of any start procedure over tens of thousands of miles of driving and none have ever had any kind of hiccup.

it's a Mobius thing, they say it's a hardware limitation, others with this hardware don't have this issue, they seem reluctant to do anything about it though

you can lead a horse to water .........

Now that I am familiar with this problem, I can live with it. I was totally puzzled as to why this was happening. But now I see it is a common occurrence with the Mobius. I just won't allow the camera to go through it's 'boot up' procedure before cranking over the starter. Even if I do for some reason, I can just start up the camera with the push of a button. No biggie.

Last edited:
I've swapped my Mobius to a new vehicle and now have this happening. In my case it's due to the power source being cut during cranking and then reapplied too quickly for the Mobius to shut-down and be ready to pick up the restart. I could choose another power source, but this source is activated as soon as the car is unlock and continues recording for around 15 minutes after stopping the car.

My solution (when it arrives) is to wire in a time delay circuit- so the Mobius has time to shutdown completely before getting the restart voltage. It should hopefully work.

Back