Lost footage

Nuuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Git Pro 2
About three times now in the couple of months since I have been using the Git2, it has stopped filming after around 21 minutes, but then started again around 5-7 minutes later. Usually it stops after around 28 minutes, and restarts immediately.

This is while filming in 1080/30. I have tested ( h2testw 1.4) the memory card, a Kingston 64 GB class 10, and found no errors.

I presume that it is normal for the filming to end and restart after 28 minutes, but why is it some times losing those 5-7 minutes?

.... I have tested ( h2testw 1.4) the memory card, a Kingston 64 GB class 10, and found no errors. .....

h2testw doesn't always find faults with memory cards.
I have a couple of cards which no longer work reliably in dashcams but h2testw doesn't report any problems.
I don't use Kingston cards in my dashcams because a couple of years ago I got suspicious of their reliability and 'on paper' specs.
64GB or larger cards (exFAT) seem to be a problem in many cams and seem more likely to become defective.

In most cams, intermittent recording is usually one of:
-Under-spec memory card
-Cam doesn't like exFAT
-Faulty memory card
-Overheating camera
-Faulty/loose power supply
-Buggy firmware

i had a similar issue in one of my dashcams with random missing/corrupt clips. h2testw showed me that the card i was using, an older 32gb Transcend card, had gotten slow and no longer met class10 speed specs anymore, even though it passed the read/write part of the test. it didn't show a popup that said THIS CARD IS BAD/SLOW - in fact it said all tests passed. I just happened to notice that the write speed section of the test had low numbers - class 10 should be able to write at least 10Mbyte/sec, and mine was only doing about 6-7MB/sec. so i marked it with a paint pen and now I only use it for things like firmware updates or something where speed isn't important, like a still camera or an mp3 player.

cards do wear out... just another reason why it's good to test them once in a while.

I have a couple of cards which no longer work reliably in dashcams but h2testw doesn't report any problems.
I don't use Kingston cards in my dashcams because a couple of years ago I got suspicious of their reliability and 'on paper' specs.
64GB or larger cards (exFAT) seem to be a problem in many cams and seem more likely to become defective.

-Under-spec memory card
-Cam doesn't like exFAT
-Faulty memory card
-Overheating camera
-Buggy firmware
I have a kingston 64gb card come with a dash camera, only used for about few times for testing.
The strange thing is that showing recording, the red .dot on LCD screen is blinking, but record nothing, then I found it is defective.

-Under-spec memory card
-Cam doesn't like exFAT
-Faulty memory card
-Overheating camera
-Buggy firmware

Thanks, I am also a bit suspicious of Kingston cards as I have had a few that have failed the tests. I'll use my Samsung card instead.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Git2 0
F70100 Git2 3
Back