Lots of winter driving !

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c

Winter wonderland - oh the joy !

Not somthing that bother you guys down there, unless i do think i recall somthing about some hills where there is snow from time to time.

When i set off from home this morning i allmost ran over a damm jogger, he bitched about it.
So i got out of my car and yelled at him " why dont you get into the 21 century and buy some of those LED armbands to wear like all sane joggers do when they run in the night, and how do you expect me to see you wearing black spandex pants and a damm dark colored coat you idiot."

" And why the hell do you run around in town like this, allready now the particle pollution is so high it is more healthy for you to stay at home and smoke a ciggy or 2,,,,,,,, you dumbass"

And then i got back into my car.

Just looked at footage, too bad there was still fog on the upper part of my windscreen ( - 5 deg C this morning )

Last edited:
Hmmm , I have driven in the snow ..
One winter we had record snow fall , and I was up on a hill ( locally they call them mountains ) and there was quite a lot of powder ...
I think I was doing all of about 20kmh and there was a little slip sliding going on ..
Im amazed that people are so un aware of the potential danger . Like overtaking in the snow and ice ( ?? ) seriously ! ( Id be locking these idiots in a rubber room ) There pucking crazy

well it can get to be frustrating, some ppl drive allmighty slow, most likely due to them still beeing on summer tires, so beeing forced to drive 40 km/h where you could be doing 60 - 70 on a fairly cleaned road is no "fun"
Allso have a lot to do with driving skill, if there is no one else around i often do the max speed allowed or at least a whole lot faster then the other cars would do.
And in my young days i have been known to overtake snow plows frantic trying to remove the +1 foot of fresh powder on the motorway, but i figured if the trucks can do 80 then i can too.
BUT ! i had to work the steeringwheel constantly for 1 hour, flushing my system with so much adrenaline and what else the body release when under pressure, had to pull over at the end of the motorway, i felt wierd and had chest pains :D

When there is snow here the first thing i do is finde a open space and then proceed to train driving agressive under those conditions, and that seem to have prepered me well for normal driving + what ever might pop up.
Its good fun and when you nail it its like beeing a super duper rally driver, but your speed is just 20-30 km/h, but thats plenty to trow your car around on snow.
And you do learn when your car gets loose and figure out how much steering angle you need to apply to correct it, and no least getting off that steering to not overcorrect which seem to be the mistake ppl do most often.

BUT as the Russian crash compilations allso proof, no matter how good a driver you are, you can never safeguard against the idiot comming the other way and loosing control of his car or truck.

I wish i was in northern Sweden or Finland right now, then i would be on the nearest frozen lake sideways in my car ;)

Or maybe just settle with a quad, i had allmighty good fun drifting the one i had on dirt.

Turning left - steering right - full trottle :cool:

sideways_big_thumb.jpg

Driving skill can vary a bit. Here in Michigan it is not unusual to see people driving when there's several inches of uncleared snow and not having any problem. The worst I've driven through was a freak snow storm, my trip started dry and clear and ended an hour later with about 8" (about 20 cm) of snow and average speed on the freeway was under 5 because no one was brave enough to go faster.

On the other hand, area that rarely get snow is prone to having lots of accident by inexperienced driver. It was just 2 years ago that Atlanta was gridlocked with just a little snow. The last time I saw something like this in Michigan was way back in '77 or '78, now that was a monster storm with drifts up to a few feet (a meter) and many abandoned cars in road.

Anyway people who lives in snowy climate usually can drive better on snow due to experience.

Fresh powder ! Not so bad ...
Hard compact snow / and ICE / and here we get black ice ...
When one side of the car goes into snow and the other not , it tends to pull the car towards or into the snow ..
And if its ice , you can see in the video what happens when you touch the brakes ( instant loss of control )
And then people loosing control changing lanes because they are driving through compacted snow ..

You would think that / Living there ... Living with the snow and ice ... having grown up with it ... There would be a clue !
But then insanity knows no rhyme or reason ( I guess )

I dont know if anyone has hit deep water at speed ( puddle ) , it tends to pull the car into it , and I would imagine snow to be far worse ..
But then Bad drivers are bad no matter the conditions .

...I dont know if anyone has hit deep water at speed ( puddle ) , it tends to pull the car into it , and I would imagine snow to be far worse .....
It's not. Water is much worse under those conditions. Fresh snow has a lot of air mixed in with the flakes and will compress quite a bit - water does not do that at all.

It's not. Water is much worse under those conditions. Fresh snow has a lot of air mixed in with the flakes and will compress quite a bit - water does not do that at all.

Depends on the amount of snow ....
If your talking the same depth as water then agreed , but if its like a foot of snow , + depends on the snow ..
Compacted , powder or sludge ... And what ever might be in between .

I have driven onto a soft shoulder of a road , and it does the same thing , pulls the car into itself ..
Depending on the speed your driving at , it can be easy to panic , over correct , and lose control .
Same with gravel , gravel over a hard surface can be like driving on ice ..

I have driven on dirt a lot in the past ( Mountains ) ...
Here is a good one ..

I let some one else drive my car since I had been driving a while .
We were on gravel and they were driving a little aggressively , so I told em to slow down before there was an accident ..
Well the driver tells me we are in perfect control and about 5 seconds latter a car comes the other way , also driven aggressively ..

The driver of my car stomps on the breaks and promptly losses control , we slide onto the wrong side of the road ..
Now thankfully the other car driven by an equally skilled and intelligent driver has the same problem - under breaks loosing control and slides onto the wrong side of the road !

Both cars harmlessly pass each other fully out of control ....
After coming to a stop I look at my Brother and ask him if he is prepared to drive a little slower now that he has endangered our lives , lost control of the car , and hopefully realized he is no where near as good a driver as he imagined .

And there in lies the problem I guess , no one dies in " The Need For Speed " or any other car racing game ...
But in the real world , you may only ever get one mistake ..

Depends on the amount of snow ......
Agree. Also depends on the type of snow - wet, powder, etc.

The 'rule of thumb' we use around here is 10" of snow is equivalent to 1" of rain to give you an idea of how much air we're talking about, but that again depends on the type of snow.

Worst thing ( i think ) is many Danes think "well i have winter tires on my car so i can keep up to the speed limit no matter what is on the road"

PPL forget that when snow get compacted to ice, you might as well drive with summer tires or slicks, by then the only thing that really work is studded tires, and a fjew Danes use those, but its pretty common in Sweden and Norway, not least the most norther part of those where they have -40 deg C temperatures at the moment.

We just got 0.5" of snow this night/morning and we might get a little more in the comming days, temperatures are blow freezing at the moment.
192.168.1.100-CAM_1-2016-01-08-07-20-13.jpg

Back