Loud horns save lives...

action on 1:11.
Why did you not move out of the way before? Looks like you are on the extreme left side of your lane, why?

action on 1:11.
Why did you not move out of the way before? Looks like you are on the extreme left side of your lane, why?

you would either be on the left or the right, the right would be too close to the next vehicle, you don't ride in the middle of a lane as cars drop oil and it's the worst place for a bike so the left is the better choice

My suspicion is that he was next to another vehicle (queue jumping) otherwise he would have moved over easily.

When I'm in my car with a turn like that without a center divider, I never pull all the way up to the line. I leave half to one car length. I only pull up after the cars have completed their left turns.

Because of the way I edited the video, there are things you can't see.

I was behind the mini van, in the line of 5 o5 6 cars trying to make left turn. The signal turned yellow as mini van was entering the intersection, I had to stop there because
1)the signal would turn red
2)there's a car behind me, so I had to stop slowly (you want to give the driver behind you enough time to let him / her understand that you are going to stop. Some people think it is okay to keep going with yellow / just turned red.)
That's how I ended up there.

And, because there was a car right behind me, I couldn't move right away.
I had to turn my head, looking at the driver, and waved at her politely to back up, so that I can move.
( if you were in this situation in your car and start backing up right away, you would have hit the car behind.)
Also, you can see in the clip, the car in the next lane (right side of me) had to move to the right, to make room for me to move out from that spot.

flank's comment is 100% right. If I were in my car, it would have been a lot harder to get out of that spot (need way more space to move into the next right lane than a motorcycle.), so, yeah, don't pull up all the way to the stop line.

another reason to be off to one side is because that's where the traffic light sensors are - they cut a rectangle into the road to embed the sensor, and if you are in the middle of the lane on a bike, the sensor can't see you and it will never turn green for you. not to mention the safety of riding tandem with another bike to make yourself more visible to other drivers. i don't think OP was riding tandem in this instance, but you get my point.

That's a crazy loud horn for a bike. What are you running? Looks like you're in Petaluma.

No logical excuse for him intruding into the oncoming lane that much.
I can't see the intersection clearly, but it looks like he started turning too early if the lane he was turning left into was narrow. Another factor is it looks like his trailer tandems are all the way to the rear. I can't see if they're capable of being slid forward, but usually they are. The trailer tandems are usually capable of being slid forward or backward to adjust the weight distribution, and/or comply with truck wheelbase length restrictions.

Even if the lane he was turning into was too tight to make the turn without intruding into the lane of stopped traffic, you do it slowly, and watch to make sure the (Usually honking) cars move out of the way. :) This guy appears to intend to keep rolling. :(

That's a crazy loud horn for a bike. What are you running? Looks like you're in Petaluma.

No kidding. I just @%# myself, and woke my kids...

The horn sounds like Fiamm AM80S duals. 110db (at 2M). I changed mine to Hella Supertones 118db (at 2M). Be heard and stop the accident sooner !!

What is it? Sounds like a Ducati. :)

You guessed it right.
GOPR0834_zpsda3423da.jpg

It is S4R (2005).
IMG_1010_zpsc49c6408.jpg

The horn(s) I have on my Monster

PIAA Sport Horn 85110 400Hz + 500Hz dual tone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00067BWBIhttp://www.quadratec.com/products/97040_10.htm

They also come in high pitch version (500Hz + 600Hz), Superior Bass version (330Hz + 400Hz).
http://www.piaa.com/store/c/4115-Horns.aspx

You can see how this intersection looks like, here.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...4b6e1bd194088!8m2!3d38.2271099!4d-122.6187349

It is, quite obviously, not a small intersection.
I was on Petaluma blvd south (heading west), waiting to turn left into D st.

Either a Ducati, or old eastern block, farm tractor. :)

Not heard that rattle in while. :) That's the clutch?

Well, the intersection wasn't big enough for him that day. :)

There looks like there is enough room to get around that corner, if he was paying attention.
He was counting on you to get out of his way, but I don't like him being so aggressive.
If you had fallen over trying to move the bike out of the way, I wonder if he'd even notice?

Back