Low Power! - YI Ultra Dash Cam shuts down

Leslie999

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My YI Ultra dash cam has recently started to shut down within a few seconds with an error saying "Low Power!". It's connected to the cigarette lighter socket, which is powered - the blue light comes on when the ignition is on.

I tried charging the battery by connecting it to my PC via USB for a few hours and it remained on when I connected it to the car and turned the ignition on. Then a few days later it has the same issue.

Do I need to replace the internal battery? Not sure what it's for, unless it is used to save the current recording after you turn the ignition off.

Have you tried another USB power cord/adapter (those in your car) to eliminate them as being suspect?

Yes a bad battery can cause issues but until you've checked the above I wouldn't focus on that quite yet... Doesn't sound like the problem anyway if charges when connected to PC.

That's a very sensible response! Thanks I haven't done that mainly because I don't think I have a suitable length spare USB cable, but I suppose I should test the cable.

Back-in-the-day I just ran USB cable from vehicles power port (lower center of dash) up to cam that was suction mounted to windshield near rear view mirror. Yes unsightly, yet worked and greatly reduced length of USB cable required. Perfect alternative for testing purposes or where you are dealing with a vehicle that doesn't already have the proper cabling nicely fitted (temp use)... Still resort to same for latter reasons but now use a "coiled" mini USB cable. Of course all this assumes your set-up is similar.

Well I pulled the cable out and tested it in the house. Tried charging a tablet from a wall socket and the cable only works intermittently, so I've ordered a new cable.
I can't be bothered with wiring it into the fuse box, so it just goes under the headlining and around the door frame and under the passenger footwell to the dash. There's only a few inches visible where it comes out from behind some trim and goes into the lighter socket, so it's not that visible.

Awesome you isolated problem. None of mine are wired into fuse box either as don't use parking mode, all routed just as you are about too. I'm perfectly fine with that as our intentions are to capture the moment(s) during travels.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nutsey YI Ultra Dash Cam 2.7K 109