Low temp. limits.

Chas0039

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just noticed the A119 V3 has a lower limit of 14° F which is warm for most of Minnesota`s winter. I guess I can take it in and out for 3 months, but just what happens to the camera in cold weather?
Thanks

I have seen in here a Canadian guy reporting temperatures so cold his camera ( unknown brand ) would not boot on initial startup, had to get the cabin temperature up a little before it would work.
But very rare i have heard of too low temperatures being a issue, most often it is in the other end of the spectrum.

Some cameras also have a boot delay ( though not terrible long as i recall ) but maybe something that could be of use when it get really GD cold.

Thanks. I've not really understood the boot delay setting. So you're saying it adds time to the boot sequence? Other than cold, where would that be useful?

I've not really understood the boot delay setting.
In many cars, during start-up, the voltage of the on-board network sags, devices, including connected gadgets, "dim" for a fraction of a second, at this moment the recorder may not understand what they want from it, they supplied power and immediately it disappeared, it may not start.
So, the loading delay is 5 sec / 10 sec ...., a kind of "crutch" from this drawdown, you started the car, the drawdown process passed, then the recorder just started.

I've had cameras (Street Guardian) running as low as around -20°F and the only issue I had was with the USB power supply adapter I was using - it took a while to begin functioning. I know it was power supply related because I was running 2 cameras off the single PS and they both started at the same time.

Well the boot delay are there for other reasons as explained by gse, but it could maybe be used in winter, though i think the delay are only 1 minute or 2 max.

i think i would just try and see what happen, and then if it get too bad as a last resort taking the camera in at night.

Viofo A119 V3 was mounted in 2020 on the rear window on a Dacia Duster which was on a trip with husband and wife on the coldest place on Earth: Oymyakon.
It was recording without any problem, started every morning even when the temperature was -53 degrees Celsius.
The Viofo A119 V3 recording is at 7:15
The GPS stamp is proving the truth.

Last edited:
I just noticed the A119 V3 has a lower limit of 14° F which is warm for most of Minnesota`s winter. I guess I can take it in and out for 3 months, but just what happens to the camera in cold weather?
Thanks
Over the years, I've occasionally had certain cameras fail to boot up immediately in extreme sub zero temps here in Vermont. The trick has always been to simply leave the camera plugged in for 60 seconds or so to let the circuitry warm up. Then reboot the camera and it will start up as normal. In some cameras, the DSPs are not rated below certain freezing temperature levels but applying power warms them up fairly quickly.

Generally, nothing bad will happen to a camera when it gets really cold but once I did have a camera go out of focus due to a contraction/expansion issue in the lens module when it warmed quickly up from 20º below zero (F).

Last edited:
Back