Lukas 7900 mounting question

skidiver

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the dashcam world and suspect I'll become a regular around these parts.

I just bought a 7900 ACE and am unsure about which mounting tape to use.

The device comes with two tapes; high-temp and low-temp.

I live in NYC where the typical Winter temperatures are in the teens/20s (Fahrenheit), and in the Summer it is in the 80s/90s, many times rising into the 100s...

Any recommendations on which tape I should be using to mount the cam?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Use the grey one. That one will withstand the heat much better. The clear one is shiny may actually stand out even more.

Kelvin

Thanks for the quick reply Kelvin.

I'm a little confused though; you said it will withstand heat much better, but the manual says the grey one is for low temp.

Yes, it does say that in the manual. I believe it's a error. However, with my own testing, the clear one was coming loose during the beginning of the summer, so I switched over to the grey one and it's been there ever since. Also, after researching 3M's website, it does show that the grey one has a higher temperature resistance.

Of course, make sure your windshield is clean before you stick the mount on.

Kelvin

Gotcha... thanks again.

I tried to find the details on 3M's website too, but didn't know which model tapes came with it.

Last question (I think); Do you think there's any issue with my installing it over this weekend (it's predicted to be in the 40's/50's F).

3M's website states 60+ F is optimal... I was thinking about using a heat gun on the windshield before/during installation.

There are many different models. I'm not 100% sure which one it is, but you won't find a grey one that has a lower temperature resistance than the clear one (at least I couldn't find it haha).

You can try installing it after driving your car, so the interior and glass is still kind of warm. If you can, avoid a heat gun with the windshield.. Quick temperature jumps for glass is never a good idea, especially when it's cold outside.

Kelvin

Makes sense;

Thanks again for the advice... Much appreciated.

I think i used the transparent tape that came with my LK-7500, have been holding up just fine here in Denmark where i think temperatures over the year is simmilar to the Big apple.
But mine is allso mounted on the black dots on top of my windscreen, maybe those offer a little better grip than clear glass.

I picked up a short piece of high quality double-sided tape from the local auto-glass place -- the stuff they use to hold the rear-view mirror on. As long as your mirror stays on, your camera will too. It's also a neutral colour so the camera is much less visible from outside.

Back