Lukas LK-7900 ACE Mac Viewer?

BugCam

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
Lucas LK-7900 Ace, 808 #18 DR32
Hi! I ordered my camera online and the description says it is "PC and Mac compatible", however I do not see a Mac version of the viewer available. Am I overlooking something? It seems it is only PC which is not going to work.

actually I cannot see any mention of Mac compatibility on LukasHD product page : http://lukashd.com/eng/product_info/blackbox_14_1.html

although the video files will open fine on Mac's as they are h.264 encoded

you could run the viewer on windows installed on Max under Boot camp, or Virtual machines like VMware and Parallels

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a MAC OSX and I am using the VLC media player and it works beautifully on full screen, that is, to watch the video files. Using quickview player won't work.

Thank you I will look into VLC Media Player.

Gigitt said:
actually I cannot see any mention of Mac compatibility on LukasHD product page : http://lukashd.com/eng/product_info/blackbox_14_1.html

you could run the viewer on windows installed on Max under Boot camp, or Virtual machines like VMware and Parallels

I have a new, top-of-the-line iMac and can run the viewer software on Windows 8 within Parallels, but the video capabilities of Parallels isn't fast enough to play back full resolution videos. I haven't tried lower resolutions as I'm not interested in recording at lower resolutions anyway. So you can use the software to update settings, but you're stuck with VLC for Mac for video playback.

I dual boot my Mac, and video playback is fine under native Windows, no OS X or Parallels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm - VLC works great for playing the video files back on a Mac. VLC allows you to drag a set of files, which is great for the Lukas cam as you can just drag all of the files of your trip together and it will go from one to the next. VLC allows for up to 4x playback. The only thing you lose is that VLC will not show you the map with GPS location as the video is playing.

I'm not into Mac's but from Gigitt's comment above wont they just run on the normal video player on a Mac?

The only issue I can see you having is setting the camera up from its default setting as this is done via the lukas viewer?

The avi files created by the Lukas camera will not play in the quicktime viewer, nor will they play in the flip4mac viewer. They do, however, play in VLC which is available for Mac for free.

In order to change camera settings, you must use the Lukas Ace software, and this is Windows only. If you only need to change the settings once, you could borrow a windows computer from someone and create the config file. Then copy the config file to your SD card any time you need to reformat it.

Back