Lukas LK-7900 Ace not detecting license plates

BOM

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7900 ACE
Can anyone tell me what could be preventing my blackbox from detecting/displaying license plates?

I'm using Lukas Ace software version 1.7.8.0 in combination with hardware firmware Ac25.

everglades said:
Can anyone tell me what could be preventing my blackbox from detecting/displaying license plates?

out of focus, low bitrate, environmental influences, lighting, dirty windscreen etc

The image is phenomenal. I think I misunderstood a product feature. In my Users Guide on p. 27 it shows a numbered diagram of the Video Screen Details and number 3 says "Car number plate display" so I foolishly thought this meant it was able to read the license plate of the vehicle in front of me and store it in the system. It's too bad because that sounded pretty nifty! :ugeek:

everglades said:
The image is phenomenal. I think I misunderstood a product feature. In my Users Guide on p. 27 it shows a numbered diagram of the Video Screen Details and number 3 says "Car number plate display" so I foolishly thought this meant it was able to read the license plate of the vehicle in front of me and store it in the system. It's too bad because that sounded pretty nifty! :ugeek:

yeah I had a feeling it may have been a misunderstanding :)

Not even KITT or the Bat Mobile has that capability -- I think. :-o

Sent from my Galaxy Note

Actually the cameras in some of the police cars in Australia have number plate recognition built in, can alert the driver if a vehicle is unregistered, wanted etc

Aren't these ANPR systems design-specific and require complicated hardware and OCR software? It would be cool though to see it in commercial dash cameras, maybe just the OCR part since it won't be for law-enforcement purposes.

DashCamMan said:
There is a whole industry for license plate recognition targeted towards police and business. The most common name is Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR). Might be a bit of time before it is a dash cam feature.

I'm not sure there would be too many justifiable reasons to have it outside of law enforcement purposes, not in a dashcam device anyway

there is a company online www.neurallabs.net that have ANPR videos and software downloads I have not yet had time to see if they are for general public use or if the download is free or not.....also for the member who posted via his galaxy note I have the galaxy tab 2 10.1 and have just ordered an in-car floor mount for it.they do various mounts dash windscreen and floor, mine hopefully will arrive tomorrow or early next week it fixes to the seat floor rail. The make is ARKON I ordered mine from a firm called mobilefun.fr as I live in france, but they have a site in the uk and I think there must be vendors in most countries......regards to all Ipol :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel silly for even mentioning this in my OP.

I foolishly assumed that it was a feature, which is not that far fetched considering how far along technology has become. I mean, look at the new Xbox One system coming out. The Kinect 2.0 will be able to read your facial emotions and tell if you are happy or upset with a situation! The current Kinect that has been on the market for a few years for the Xbox 360 can determine not only your skeletal body but is able to read your facial displays (without understanding the emotions behind them ie. it can tell when you wink and eye) and it can create 3D video based off of your movements with a few developer kits available online.

My point being that camera technology is becoming significantly advanced on a daily basis. I do understand why the License Plate reader capability would be limited to the LEO community (LEO = Law Enforcement Officer) *BUT* it's one thing for a camera to read and display letters and numbers and it's another to be capable of accessing a database to determine what those letters/numbers mean/who owns them/etc. A dash cam with this function could very well come in handy for real life blackbox scenarios.

My second attempt at the same video. I think I used the words "Good ol' USA" too many times though, lol. Anyway, I hope these two videos have a vetter demonstration of the video quality that comes with this camera. I am extremely happy with my purchase. ps - The "Soviet areas" do not exist anymore..." :roll:

My second attempt at the same video. I think I used the words "Good ol' USA" too many times though, lol. Anyway, I hope these two videos have a vetter demonstration of the video quality that comes with this camera. I am extremely happy with my purchase. ps - The "Soviet areas" do not exist anymore..." :roll:

And the more polished?

OK, so what does "Car number plate display" actually mean?

OK, so what does "Car number plate display" actually mean?

Its just a space where you can type in your own number plate if you wish or you can stick anything in there and it will be displayed at the base of the video on the information line

An application of that would be if you have a fleet of vehicles and are saving videos from all of them.

Thanks. I now have the 7900 installed and working!!!! Very Easy

Back