Making a new power cable for the LK7900 Ace

rogerbid

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

I am currently learning the ins and outs of my new camera and plan eventually to use it in 2 cars. For this I will ideally have a second power cable so that I only have to swap the camera itself between vehicles.

My question now is - Is there anything special about the power cable or can I get a competent electrician to make one up simply using standard plugs at both ends to fit the camera and a car socket? To me there is nothing more to it than the plugs and a length of cable, i.e. no built in gizmos that need to be replicated in a new cable? (maybe the car plug has a built in capacitor or something?)

I would buy the correct cable if is one available but my supplier has various accessories listed but a power cable is not among them.

Can anyone tell me if it is OK to make up a plain cable?

Thanks,

Roger

Hi everyone,

I am currently learning the ins and outs of my new camera and plan eventually to use it in 2 cars. For this I will ideally have a second power cable so that I only have to swap the camera itself between vehicles.

My question now is - Is there anything special about the power cable or can I get a competent electrician to make one up simply using standard plugs at both ends to fit the camera and a car socket? To me there is nothing more to it than the plugs and a length of cable, i.e. no built in gizmos that need to be replicated in a new cable? (maybe the car plug has a built in capacitor or something?)

I would buy the correct cable if is one available but my supplier has various accessories listed but a power cable is not among them.

Can anyone tell me if it is OK to make up a plain cable?

Thanks,

Roger
Its simply a DC 12 volts in from your car to your camera, nothing special...... If you can find the appropriate mating connector for the camera, as well as the mating connector for the car, that is all that is required. Just make sure that you fuse the line , as the car cigarette lighter adapter has a built in fuse that comes with the kit. I am sure if you contacted Lukas, they could probably supply you with another connector assembly. I am sure a 1 amp fuse would be sufficient. Or else you can always purchase the separate module that provide a battery backup for your camera, that is wired direct to your car from Lukas, such as I have connected to mine.
http://lukashd.com/eng/product_info/power_lock_3.html

Yeah just get the polarity right and it will be "no problemos" :)

Thanks guys for the replies. From comments here it seems Lukas can be pretty helpful so maybe I will check to see if they will send me a cable otherwise I will get a cable made locally. Not sure about the inline fuse but I am sure an auto electrician will be able to fix this for me,

Thanks again,

Roger

Back