Maplin UK - 1080p HD Journey Recorder.

MapoUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My first post at the forums although I've been a regular visitor for around a month.

Bought what appears to be a late model orange menu GS1000 at one of Maplin's UK stores. Paid £122 (£129 on offer reduced from £149.99 with a further £7 discount code from google) with a full year's warranty from Maplin themselves and a 28 day no quibble return policy it's worth paying the extra for me.

Maplin product code: A95LC
Maplin Product Description: 1080p HD Journey Recorder with GPS and G Sensor.

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

Quality is acceptable (massive improvement verses my old eBay 1.3mp Novatech GS1000 clone) but I've not had a chance to try it yet at night. Car registration numbers can be clearly read at around 15-20ft away at 50mph when the video is paused.

I've put a 32GB SanDisk Ultra class 10 card in it (£25 from Asda Walmart in the UK) and it appears to get around 9 hours of footage on the card, but the bitrate is only 7K.

The GPS locks on instantly and is very accurate using both the software supplied and also DataKam Viewer. Also the GPS speed display is in MPH for the UK market.

I have it hard wired into my van and it's maintenance free, have it running on 1080p as I prefer the better quality over wider FOV.

Appears to have firmware FLX4.35.040712 ***EDIT*** I've extracted the firmware (13.3MB) if anyone want's it just let me know!

IMG_0339.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just purcahsed one of these and had a good run tonight in dusk and night conditions.

Overall quite impressed, i wonder which version of the GSXXXX family this belongs to. It does display the speed in MPH, which i see was a problem with the other units, so is this firmware unique to Maplin..??

One question, is there a way to display the GPS position directly on the video, as i have a AppleiMac and the software for showing the file with the GPS position is windows only.

Ta

Karl

Update on Maplin 1080p Journey Recorder

The first unit failed to turn on after 4 days, I returned it to Maplin last Monday where the staff exchanged it for a new unit.

The new unit appeared to have better IQ than the original, and appeared to run with no problems although it had a couple of I/O write errors on Friday but a reset and format of the card cured that problem.

Went out today and the unit failed to power up, checked it all over and it was another failed unit!!

I've returned the unit to Maplin and they gave me a full refund and apologized profusely, but now I need to try and seek out an alternative camera :cry:

Karl, as far as I know the GPS software is PC only, not sure if there's any other software but many of the Google results are returned in Russian!!

MapoUK said:
Update on Maplin 1080p Journey Recorder

The first unit failed to turn on after 4 days, I returned it to Maplin last Monday where the staff exchanged it for a new unit.

The new unit appeared to have better IQ than the original, and appeared to run with no problems although it had a couple of I/O write errors on Friday but a reset and format of the card cured that problem.

Went out today and the unit failed to power up, checked it all over and it was another failed unit!!

I've returned the unit to Maplin and they gave me a full refund and apologized profusely, but now I need to try and seek out an alternative camera :cry:

Karl, as far as I know the GPS software is PC only, not sure if there's any other software but many of the Google results are returned in Russian!!

I saw same dash cam here in Maplin Ireland being sold for many month.
Can you make a night video ( city lights, high way, pitch dark ) and share raw video files, when you get a chance.
Thanks.

Hi Mapo and Niko....Re above comments, which being a new member; I found very interesting...I have had one of these recorders,purchased from Maplin; for approx: 3 months and the following comments maybe of interest, as currently the unit is on a "downhill slide" from a usability point of view. (1) Initially the contents of a 32 Gb mini SHDC card would replay from the provided player,( early version of Daum Potplayer?) but only if you imported the CD contents each time. (2) Changed to a later version of Potplayer and all was OK; but no accelerometer or GPS info....... Cyberlink Power DVD 13 used to play files but now fails due to****(3) Now the "downhill" bit.....of three sd cards; currently I cannot read any of them because if one checks them under Windows properties (Vista or the dreaded Win 8) the file type FAT 32 is ****missing.....comment is "file type unknown" and used and available space is zero; BUT the contents shown by the graphic of the SDHC card is blue...ie full and in overwrite (if you have set this on the recorder menu). If you put any of the cards I have back in the recorder and select video or files; all content is there and will playback on the recorder LCD screen.Whilst in playback mode the the recorder used to o/put to an HDMI source; but will no longer do so. One way to make any of the cards readable on a PC is to format it in the recorder; but obviously you loose all data. Maplin technical have never answered an email on SDHC cards loosing their file type. A Maplin store local to me, has a tech savvy person who is interested in my findings to date!!. I've tried reset on the recorder and it made no difference to the FAT 32 problem...When the recorder was apparently OK I took a snapshot off the video of a learner driver going across, as opposed to round a mini roundabout.....Re the suction holder mine was insecure so I glued it to the windscreen. Niko's problem, recorder turn on has also been repeated on my unit........each time I now look for the red pulsing record light and a white circle with arrows which to me means circulating recording;in my case every 15 mins and when played back on a PC each file was 14.59 mins long.....Final thoughts return unit to Maplin for a refund or see if there is an update to firmware; Maplin failed to answer this. The firmware in my recorder is the same as Mapo's..................Kind Regards to All John

Hi Mapo and Niko....Re above comments, which being a new member; I found very interesting...I have had one of these recorders,purchased from Maplin; for approx: 3 months and the following comments maybe of interest, as currently the unit is on a "downhill slide" from a usability point of view. (1) Initially the contents of a 32 Gb mini SHDC card would replay from the provided player,( early version of Daum Potplayer?) but only if you imported the CD contents each time. (2) Changed to a later version of Potplayer and all was OK; but no accelerometer or GPS info....... Cyberlink Power DVD 13 used to play files but now fails due to****(3) Now the "downhill" bit.....of three sd cards; currently I cannot read any of them because if one checks them under Windows properties (Vista or the dreaded Win 8) the file type FAT 32 is ****missing.....comment is "file type unknown" and used and available space is zero; BUT the contents shown by the graphic of the SDHC card is blue...ie full and in overwrite (if you have set this on the recorder menu). If you put any of the cards I have back in the recorder and select video or files; all content is there and will playback on the recorder LCD screen.Whilst in playback mode the the recorder used to o/put to an HDMI source; but will no longer do so. One way to make any of the cards readable on a PC is to format it in the recorder; but obviously you loose all data. Maplin technical have never answered an email on SDHC cards loosing their file type. A Maplin store local to me, has a tech savvy person who is interested in my findings to date!!. I've tried reset on the recorder and it made no difference to the FAT 32 problem...When the recorder was apparently OK I took a snapshot off the video of a learner driver going across, as opposed to round a mini roundabout.....Re the suction holder mine was insecure so I glued it to the windscreen. Niko's problem, recorder turn on has also been repeated on my unit........each time I now look for the red pulsing record light and a white circle with arrows which to me means circulating recording;in my case every 15 mins and when played back on a PC each file was 14.59 mins long.....Final thoughts return unit to Maplin for a refund or see if there is an update to firmware; Maplin failed to answer this. The firmware in my recorder is the same as Mapo's..................Kind Regards to All John

Thanks for your feedback, John.

Hi Niko.......Final comment..I'm returning the HD 1080 to Maplin for a refund......Kind Regards John

Hi Niko.......Final comment..I'm returning the HD 1080 to Maplin for a refund......Kind Regards John

It is normal to have an experience on your own skin. Many of us here on forum went trough all this ( buying something ,then upgrading to better one and so one ). In your case I see you have a chance to return for full refund, - this is even better solution ! ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V GSXXXX 5
K GSXXXX 1
Back