March 05 Firmware Update - Anyone tried it yet

Just installed it on my 3rd generation one, all appears to be ok.

Collected some images with it today:

(Swear filter wont allow images called "pea****" :()

Bird%202.jpg

Bird.jpg

Haytor.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Nigel,

The images look fantastic, are they screenshots from video or actual photographs using the camera option on the 0806.

Also, I've managed to locate the page on the official 0806 website http://www.mini0806.com/update.html to download the latest firmware and have downloaded it onto my desktop on my Mac, but it seems to be a zipped folder named 0806firmware-150323 and when I double-click it to unzip it, a new folder appears which is also zipped named firmware.bin but I can't unzip that folder!!!

Hi Nigel,

The images look fantastic, are they screenshots from video or actual photographs using the camera option on the 0806.
They are frames from the video, saved using Registrator Viewer/Save Current Frame.

Don't know anything about zip files on Macs, the file you want is firmware.bin, copy that to the memory card while you update the camera and then delete it after.

Thanks Nigel,

Have just noticed the firmware.bin isn't zipped so will give it a try tomorrow.

Collected some images with it today:

(Swear filter wont allow images called "pea****" :()

G̶o̶r̶g̶e̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶p̶i̶x̶

Ya know what bites my butt?

Someone who takes better pictures (while just doing some throwaway test shots) with a cheapo ~$100 Chinese dashboard camera than I can with a $2000 DSLR. :mad:

grnbrg.

But seriously... Wow. Nice shots.

Ya know what bites my butt?

Someone who takes better pictures (while just doing some throwaway test shots) with a cheapo ~$100 Chinese dashboard camera than I can with a $2000 DSLR. :mad:

grnbrg.

But seriously... Wow. Nice shots.
A DSLR couldn't actually take those pea**** shots as it wouldn't have sufficient field of view or depth of field!

Even if you just want the pea**** instead of a pea**** in it's environment, the result from a DSLR might well be disappointing, in fact using the sort of lens most USA and German tourists bring to the UK they would not even get all the feathers in focus, I'm only about 50cm from the closest feathers, 2 meters from the furthest, forget getting the summer house in the distance in focus too! Even going back to a phone cam I find the lack of FOV and DOF to be a bit limiting. Of course for a different kind of shot I wouldn't be without my Olympus with it's 24-600 mm zoom :)

A DSLR couldn't actually take those pea**** shots as it wouldn't have sufficient field of view or depth of field!

Even if you just want the pea**** instead of a pea**** in it's environment, the result from a DSLR might well be disappointing, in fact using the sort of lens most USA and German tourists bring to the UK they would not even get all the feathers in focus, I'm only about 50cm from the closest feathers, 2 meters from the furthest, forget getting the summer house in the distance in focus too! Even going back to a phone cam I find the lack of FOV and DOF to be a bit limiting. Of course for a different kind of shot I wouldn't be without my Olympus with it's 24-600 mm zoom :)

Nigel, in all due respect, where do come up with this stuff? Do you sell used cars? You should, you're good!

Understanding your knowledge of photography and what lens choices tourists, specifically Americans and Germans bring to your country, there are tons of DSLR lenses that would be capable of taking a picture of the whole bird and with a sharpness and detail so great that you would swear you were right there with the bird.

Nigel, in all due respect, where do come up with this stuff? Do you sell used cars? You should, you're good!

Understanding your knowledge of what lens choices tourists, specifically Americans and Germans bring to your country, there are tons of DSLR lenses that would be capable of taking a picture of the whole bird and with a sharpness and detail so great that you would swear you were right there with the bird.
Ultimately a DSLR is physically limited in it's depth of field relative to the mini 0806 due to the relatively large size of it's sensor and there is no getting around the laws of physics whatever lens you choose ;)

Ultimately a DSLR is physically limited in it's depth of field relative to the mini 0806 due to the relatively large size of it's sensor and there is no getting around the laws of physics whatever lens you choose ;)
I would argue with you, yet I see you know very little about photography

I would argue with you, yet I see you know very little about photography
Yes, your correct, I just checked the expert tips and advice for photographing birds on nikonusa.com and I did it completely wrong, thing is, I much prefer my pea**** image to theirs! http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/gg1e58ss/tips-for-photographing-birds.html :D

In my experience, the camera is one of the least important parts of the process. The most important part is knowing where to point the shiny end before pushing the button.

I don't think there is any question that a DLSR can take better quality images than the 806. But @Nigel has an eye for composition that I can only wish for.

grnbrg.

Yes no one would have thought to almost center the Peac0ck in the photo :p

Yes no one would have thought to almost center the Peac0ck in the photo :p
Is circumventing the swear filter allowed? :eek:

Not sure what you mean by your post anyway, if your talking about the second image then the centre of the image is between the pea****'s feet, at his centre of balance... do you mean that it shouldn't be centred?

At risk of taking this thread totally off topic thanks to Nigel's choice of subject, if you're interested in photography, take a look at what pics are being posted onto Flickr, link is: https://www.flickr.com/explore

As regards to the rule of thirds, is OK, but rules are made to be broken ;)

Back