Maxi + M1 together hardwired

dashcambro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey folks, so my last car I had a M1 set up to lighter socket since i had no idea on car electrics. Now I have a new car and I want to set up a Maxi in the front and my old M1 at the back. I want to do a neat hardwire for both but was wondeirng, are there any issues with having 2 dashcams running on the battery? Is the battery drain huge or negligible? I wanted to originally do it on parking mode but figured that will strain the battery too much, so will do with ignition mode.

In regards to finding fuses consistent with the ignition, do I just test for a fuse that is off when car is off and is on when the ignition is on?

thanks

If you're going ignition only (no parking mode) then you should have no concern regarding battery drain. The drain of both cameras is absolutely negligible compared to the blower fan, infotainment unit and fuel pump that run on ignition.

Yes, check with a multi-meter as you said. The majority of fuses tend to be ignition only. You can probably guess that the fuse for the wiper blades are on ignition for example cause they don't work while the car is off. Neither do the heated seats, radio, etc...

If you're going ignition only (no parking mode) then you should have no concern regarding battery drain. The drain of both cameras is absolutely negligible compared to the blower fan, infotainment unit and fuel pump that run on ignition.

Yes, check with a multi-meter as you said. The majority of fuses tend to be ignition only. You can probably guess that the fuse for the wiper blades are on ignition for example cause they don't work while the car is off. Neither do the heated seats, radio, etc...
Got it. If i stick it in accessory fuses isn’t that better incase I dont go into ignition?

Also what fuse should i be putting for the add a fuse, is it 5A?

You should be able to use a 2 or 2.5 A fuse. On my setup, I have 1 A fuse on each of my line to M1 cameras (obviously they are on separate circuits).

You should be able to use a 2 or 2.5 A fuse. On my setup, I have 1 A fuse on each of my line to M1 cameras (obviously they are on separate circuits).
thanks. I've just received my maxi, does it HAVE to be charged up 2 hours or can I just replace it with a super cap and set it up? I cant get it to read in msetup.

thanks. I've just received my maxi, does it HAVE to be charged up 2 hours or can I just replace it with a super cap and set it up? I cant get it to read in msetup.
No, it does not HAVE to be charged for 2 hours. The Maxi and M1 battery/capacitor connectors on the PCB are different to each other. Did you buy a Maxi capacitor?

I cant get it to read in msetup.
Read the instructions in mSetup. The Maxi connection method is slightly different to the M1. When you plug the Maxi into a PC you should get a RED circle LED. This is for data transfer, such as reading files from the card, or formatting the card. To enable setup on the Maxi you have to press the shutter button and get a BLUE circle LED. Now you should be able to see it in mSetup and change settings.

No, it does not HAVE to be charged for 2 hours. The Maxi and M1 battery/capacitor connectors on the PCB are different to each other. Did you buy a Maxi capacitor?

Read the instructions in mSetup. The Maxi connection method is slightly different to the M1. When you plug the Maxi into a PC you should get a RED circle LED. This is for data transfer, such as reading files from the card, or formatting the card. To enable setup on the Maxi you have to press the shutter button and get a BLUE circle LED. Now you should be able to see it in mSetup and change settings.
got it to work, yep its a maxi super cap. However same power issue as the M1 in the car, on the maxi it produces a solid red circle light. Solid orange on the M1.

But works while connected to mains ac adaptor aswith the M1, so guess it just down to the power supply in the cars right?

Mind I haven't tried it on a 12V to usb cig adaptor, that's how i used to use it months ago.

got it to work, yep its a maxi super cap. However same power issue as the M1 in the car, on the maxi it produces a solid red circle light. Solid orange on the M1.

But works while connected to mains ac adaptor aswith the M1, so guess it just down to the power supply in the cars right?

Mind I haven't tried it on a 12V to usb cig adaptor, that's how i used to use it months ago.
Could be under-powered USB sockets, in both cars, causing your problems. Are you quite sure they're not data-enabled sockets for media playback, as it seems like both cameras have gone into data transfer mode upon sensing a data connection.

Could be under-powered USB sockets, in both cars, causing your problems. Are you quite sure they're not data-enabled sockets for media playback, as it seems like both cameras have gone into data transfer mode upon sensing a data connection.
yeah possibly. I dont have a 12v to usb plug to test, nor has half my hardwire kit turned up. I will want to hardwire anyway so will test the outcome then.

In regards to the hardwiring, if I stick in a 2.5-5A fuse into the add a fuse then I should've have problems powering it up should I? Both the M1 and MM

In regards to the hardwiring, if I stick in a 2.5-5A fuse into the add a fuse then I should've have problems powering it up should I? Both the M1 and MM

It' ll be fine. Fuse should be on the +12 V supply line.
The only thing is to make sure your 12 V to 5 V converter has sufficient current output to power both cameras, so it should be able to source 3 A @ 5V.

It' ll be fine. Fuse should be on the +12 V supply line.
The only thing is to make sure your 12 V to 5 V converter has sufficient current output to power both cameras, so it should be able to source 3 A @ 5V.
thanks. I have 2 separate 12v to 5v converters.

Are you connecting it to the car's USB port? If so, neither cameras will work because they go into USB slave mode and essentially turn into a flash drive. This might explain why you don't have this issue with a wall adapter, because the wall adapter has no data connection.

You can confirm this by putting a tiny piece of tape or paper over the middle-two pins inside the USB plug so they don't make contact. I wouldn't recommend this however as you might get paper/tape stuck in your car's USB plug like I did. :whistle:

You can confirm this by putting a tiny piece of tape or paper over the middle-two pins inside the USB plug so they don't make contact. I wouldn't recommend this however as you might get paper/tape stuck in your car's USB plug like I did. :whistle:
Alternatively, use a charge-only USB cable without the data connections.

Back