Finally got my Maxi, but it's really grainy in low lights....

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I use fw 2.26, would 2.11 or even 1.86 be better at all night image-wise?

Or other tips for optimum settings for better night recording?
(Other than "clean your windscreen.... yeah I saw that too :LOL:)

Clean windshield:

Mobius have chosen a high-gain, low-blur approach with the Maxi. The consequence of this is more detail than some other cameras in low light, but also grainy video.

I do not think changing to older FW will be any better in this regard.

There should be a new FW soon which may help a bit by offering more IQ adjustment options.

sorry guys, but I simply can't get passed this:

Viofo A119S vs Mobius Maxi, bothe 1080p/60
vlcsnap-2019-12-31-01h21m38s800.png
vlcsnap-2019-12-31-01h21m32s801.png

GitUp F1 4k/30 fps

vlcsnap-2019-12-31-01h21m46s027.png

what is it you can't get past?

What I've seen before I bought the Maxi seemed to be much better than what I really experience, you gotta admit, it's really under par...

yes, but I also think it's doing the best it can for the lighting conditions, the settings you have selected, and the hardware it uses

Sure of course, but it appears to no longer be enough to keep us satisfied, can it? I don't even think its any better (image wise) than the Mobius One. Or am I wrong? PLease tell me.

I wouldn't run it at 1080p60, that puts it at a disadvantage straight away, the original Mobius wouldn't give stellar results in those conditions either

there is no camera that is perfect in every scenario, any camera can have times when they'll deliver a better result than some other camera

I wouldn't run it at 1080p60, that puts it at a disadvantage straight away, the original Mobius wouldn't give stellar results in those conditions either

there is no camera that is perfect in every scenario, any camera can have times when they'll deliver a better result than some other camera

Point, but look at the A119s, also 60 fps.... doing fantastic! We can all clearly see Maxi gets nowhere close, I believe not even at 30 fps. Just saying Mobius is getting behind i.m.h.o., it just hasn't achieved much progress since 2013, the M2 was a disaster (from what I read, I don't have one), and the Maxi doesn't do much better either, yes I'm a tad disappointed with it. I'll take my M1 and the Maxi on 1080p/30 for a comparison side by side soon. Finding out what's what.

Point, but look at the A119s, also 60 fps.... doing fantastic!

would do even better in that situation at 1080p30, it's also a native 1080p sensor so it has an advantage already

run the cameras at native res or whatever the closest resolution to native res that they offer, running a higher megapixel sensor at 1080p is not the same thing, running them all at 1080p is not the way to test their capabilities

would do even better in that situation at 1080p30, it's also a native 1080p sensor so it has an advantage already

run the cameras at native res or whatever the closest resolution to native res that they offer, running a higher megapixel sensor at 1080p is not the same thing, running them all at 1080p is not the way to test their capabilities

I agree of course.

The GitUp F1, although not THE best suited for dashcam, at night performs best @ 4K/30, better than 2.7K/60 and as we can see it does better than the Maxi @ 1080p/60.

(Note, the GitUp F1 performs bad at <any res>/60fps too, but is far from the grainy from the Maxi. The A119S however performs great @1080p/60 fps, is that because of the sensor ued?).

So, then what's the native sensor res for the Maxi, hence the best res for the Maxi to test (obvious @ 30 fps)? 2.7?

And, would the F1.2 lens make a big dif on the Maxi? Anyone tested that?

2.7k might be the best for the Maxi, I can't recall which sensor it uses to say for sure, if you find which it is just look up the specs

2.7k might be the best for the Maxi, I can't recall which sensor it uses to say for sure, if you find which it is just look up the specs

ok, so I'm going for testing

Mobius One: 1080/30 (F1.8 lens)
MAXI: 2.7/30 (Standard F1.5 lens)
F1: 4k/30 (Standard lens)
A119S: 1080/30 (F1.2 lens)

BTW: I get NO response at all from GitUp about the F1.5 lens from the F1C cam. I'd like to order one, but they don't seem interested at all. What's that about???

I'm using it as a rear cam at 1080/30, does the job.

Found it, really dark recording, I guess from all the headlights shining directly in to the lens.

Yes but even the M1 does that, not as much but it does. Hope they can strike a balance as to how much it compensates.

Looking forward to seeing the version Tony had shared to hit mSetup. Sorry, couldn't be bothered to play around with a text file.

GitUp F1 standard lens
150356AA.MP4_20191231_175357.150 - kopie.jpg

Mobius Maxi 2.7K, standard F1.5 lens
vlcsnap-2019-12-31-18h00m09s805.png

Mobius One, F1.8 lens
REC_0472.MOV_20191231_175523.744.jpg

Back