Meandering through San Rafael Reef and San Rafael Swell, Utah

how do you use copyrighted music in a youtube video without the copyright nazis (aka MAFIAA) stomping on your video? i haven't watched the whole thing yet, but heard satriani getting started as you got on the interstate, and have heard him and others in your other videos. in my crash video, i happened to have some Zep on the stereo and youtube flagged it and muted the audio.

how do you use copyrighted music in a youtube video without the copyright nazis (aka MAFIAA) stomping on your video? i haven't watched the whole thing yet, but heard satriani getting started as you got on the interstate, and have heard him and others in your other videos. in my crash video, i happened to have some Zep on the stereo and youtube flagged it and muted the audio.

You can make use of YouTube's ad-supported music library: https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/ad_supported_music. Simply type in the song title in the search box on the top-right, and it will tell you how the song is treated in YouTube. For example, type in "flying in a blue dream" (which is the Satriani's song I use in this video), the song should appear at the top. Click on it, and it will tell you that it is viewable except Germany. Another example, type in "go your own way", which is a Fleetwood Mac's song. In this case, it says "This song is not available for use in your YouTube videos. If you use this song, your video may be blocked or muted." I fell victim on this one, as one of my videos got muted.

Another way is to create a secondary YouTube channel, so-called "test channel". You can first render a "blank video", which is a video with no moving picture but audio only. Upload it to this test channel. If the video gets blocked anywhere or muted, you can tell right away.

But of course, this doesn't change the fact that the copyright owners can change their rule anytime they like. Maybe today, Joe Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream is a safe song. But next week, next month, or next year, it may not be the case anymore. Maybe the Germany block is lifted, or worse-case scenario, it gets a worldwide block. We can never anticipate this. So, if you want to go with the ABSOLUTE safest bet, simply use free musics. If you are planning to use ad-supported ones, you can use the two methods I explained above to minimize the risk.

You can make use of YouTube's ad-supported music library: https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/ad_supported_music. Simply type in the song title in the search box on the top-right, and it will tell you how the song is treated in YouTube. For example, type in "flying in a blue dream" (which is the Satriani's song I use in this video), the song should appear at the top. Click on it, and it will tell you that it is viewable except Germany. Another example, type in "go your own way", which is a Fleetwood Mac's song. In this case, it says "This song is not available for use in your YouTube videos. If you use this song, your video may be blocked or muted." I fell victim on this one, as one of my videos got muted.

Another way is to create a secondary YouTube channel, so-called "test channel". You can first render a "blank video", which is a video with no moving picture but audio only. Upload it to this test channel. If the video gets blocked anywhere or muted, you can tell right away.

But of course, this doesn't change the fact that the copyright owners can change their rule anytime they like. Maybe today, Joe Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream is a safe song. But next week, next month, or next year, it may not be the case anymore. Maybe the Germany block is lifted, or worse-case scenario, it gets a worldwide block. We can never anticipate this. So, if you want to go with the ABSOLUTE safest bet, simply use free musics. If you are planning to use ad-supported ones, you can use the two methods I explained above to minimize the risk.
You do a great job :)

Nice :)

But of course, this doesn't change the fact that the copyright owners can change their rule anytime they like.

I ran into that. Josh Woodward used to be free but I noticed that my latest video (and retroactively several others) now have ads because of his music.

Regarding the long section of I-70 with no motorist services. Back in 2002 when I was moving from New Mexico to Oregon I was driving along between Green River and Salina pulling a horse trailer. About the middle of that stretch the engine in the truck just stops without warning. I thought I was really screwed. Check Engine light was on so I got out of the truck, opened the hood, checked the engine - it was still there, closed the hood and got back in the truck. Truck started right up and had no more problems the rest of the trip.

FYI - in any 1996 or newer vehicle (at least in the US), if the key is on but the engine is stopped, the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp, aka check engine light) will be on. it doesn't necessarily mean anything's wrong; in fact it's simply a mode to test that the MIL hasn't burned out or been disconnected. checking "MIL on while Key On Engine Off" is part of the emissions testing procedure in texas and probably most other states, to make sure an unscrupulous owner hasn't tampered with it.

now if the MIL is on while the engine's running, then yes, something's wrong, and a trouble code has been stored.

ok, so now that i am on my PC (that link is worthless on mobile), i searched for the song that was in my video that got muted.
youtube said:
Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin

If you use this song
Playback: Viewable worldwide
Monetization: You can't monetize your video
pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

Copyright owners can change their policies or take action on your video that differs from what's described here. Learn more

So... not sure why it's muted.

Amazing views, nice video, with a perfect soundtrack as well ;)
I like!

I ran into that. Josh Woodward used to be free but I noticed that my latest video (and retroactively several others) now have ads because of his music.

Regarding the long section of I-70 with no motorist services. Back in 2002 when I was moving from New Mexico to Oregon I was driving along between Green River and Salina pulling a horse trailer. About the middle of that stretch the engine in the truck just stops without warning. I thought I was really screwed. Check Engine light was on so I got out of the truck, opened the hood, checked the engine - it was still there, closed the hood and got back in the truck. Truck started right up and had no more problems the rest of the trip.

Wow, that would have really FREAKED me out! Glad nothing happened for the rest of your journey. It was still quite a long way from Salina, UT to Oregon.

ok, so now that i am on my PC (that link is worthless on mobile), i searched for the song that was in my video that got muted.

So... not sure why it's muted.

It is called the wondrous mystery of YouTube lol. Do you have the link to that video?

It is called the wondrous mystery of YouTube lol. Do you have the link to that video?
i am adding a space to the URL so it won't embed here in the forum
https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=fhWcqsTZ_-M

edit: i went into the yt video editor and clicked the button to undo song removal, and it said something like this may cause ads to appear in your video (i can't tell, since i use ad-blocking software on all my devices). also said it'd take a bit to process and till it was done people would see the current version. we'll see what happens.

edit2: sound appears to be working again. like you said, the copyright status can change on a whim...

Last edited:
Back