Mechanic Caught Insulting Customer

Zeuss2011

Reaction score
Country
United States
Took the car in for service at a local dealership. Picked the vehicle up, went through the recorded files and came across this footage. At the 26 second mark you can hear the mechanic talking to someone out the camera's field of view. You may have to turn it up a bit to hear.

Watch "Mechanic Caught Insulting Customer" on YouTube
Mechanic Caught Insulting Customer:

When my car was in for it's annual test last week they gave it a huge compliment, but I wont post a private conversation that was held in a private place...

Where they accurate in what they said?

Whats the back story on this? There must have been a reason for them to start mouthing off. Did you bring it in for warranty work? This is why I avoid stealerships at all cost and try to learn how to do everything on my own.

Did you turn off the settings for it to alert you that recording has started every time it boots up? Or does it alert you that recording is starting? Maybe he was purposely stating something for the camera.

Took the wife's car in for it's first oil change. I do my own oil changes but the wife wanted her car taken care of by the dealership. When I dropped it off, I asked the service advisor if he could make sure that they used the right blend for the oil change. I aslo asked him to perform the walk around inspection to note that there was no damage to vehicle. Something they normally do anyway but he was forgetting. He then asked if I wanted it washed and I said "No thank you." That was it. The camera's alerts were on and it announces every time it turns on and states that it's "starting normal recording" or "parking mode disabled". The mechanic got fired, not for the name calling, but because he was recorded stating that he didn't even check the tire pressure. He didn't perform the service as he had documented.

Good he deserved to get fired. I don't trust dealerships or national chain repair shops.
I had a service advisor lecture to me how my new car after 12,000 miles needed a PVC to be replaced as part of maintenance, later I found out the vehicle does not have a PVC.
I had brought another vehicle to a national chain like Good Year to get an oil filter change. When arrived home I always check to see if they do not under fill or over fill the oil...in this case they didn't even change the oil. The oil color was dark brown. I called the manager who said it was impossible. I drove the vehicle back to them and showed the manager the color of the oil. Once he seen the color he went back and spoke to the mechanics in the shop. He made an excuse they were busy and forgot. What a bunch of BS.
I wish there would be a way to record with a dash cam what they are doing to the vehicle in the shop.

Good he deserved to get fired. I don't trust dealerships or national chain repair shops.
I had a service advisor lecture to me how my new car after 12,000 miles needed a PVC to be replaced as part of maintenance, later I found out the vehicle does not have a PVC.
I had brought another vehicle to a national chain like Good Year to get an oil filter change. When arrived home I always check to see if they do not under fill or over fill the oil...in this case they didn't even change the oil. The oil color was dark brown. I called the manager who said it was impossible. I drove the vehicle back to them and showed the manager the color of the oil. Once he seen the color he went back and spoke to the mechanics in the shop. He made an excuse they were busy and forgot. What a bunch of BS.
I wish there would be a way to record with a dash cam what they are doing to the vehicle in the shop.
My Blackvue DR400G II records in parking mode. Anytime it detects motion or one of the G sensors is activated, it starts recording. I recorded the entire oil change.

I guess you're doing all of your own oil changes from now on o_O You better tread carefully on what you say against this company. The service dept is where they rake in the dough and they'll send lawyers your way if you slip up. There was a guy who came on here who was being sued for going on youtube and other sites claiming the dealership ripped him off ,but he didn't present the full story or something.

Those aren't mechanics that are on the oil changing station. They'll hire anyone off the streets for that position since they lose money on it to get you in the door. The lazy car owners are probably better off at Jiffy Lube for oil changes. I've used them in the past when I was living in apts and nowhere to do auto maintenance. They actually have a person that checks the work and they show you your dipstick with the current oil level before you drive off.

With those oil change specials at the dealership, they're putting in the cheapest oil they can find. I was going through my mother's paperwork one time to see her maintenance history on her Lexus that she bought certified pre owned. She had a leak and I wanted to see what has been done. The first oil change was free. The paperwork showed they put regular cheap oil in there and the oil changes thereafter was higher quality synthetic blend since she was paying now. They put the part numbers for the oil on the invoices, so that is how one can figure out what oil was used.

Maybe some one should make a small stealthy under hood camera, just to log what they do in the engine bay.

I once worked at a Mitsubishi dealer / shop, there i spoke to a customer who was there for his 3 gearbox change / rebuild.

His car was brand new and have not even done 5000 km by that stage, needless to say he was not happy.

When the hood is raised, there is a gap between the edge of the hood and the dash that is visible to the camera. The camera recorded the entire oil change and anything that went on under the hood while it was being serviced. I would post a video of that but I don't want to risk offending people like Nigel by posting it on this forum. Just don't understand his logic. How is that first video considered a "a private conversation held in a private place", when it took place in MY vehicle?!?!?!?

I dont see why it being in your vehicle makes it "less private" to be honest, but I dont think you did anything wrong.

It's akin to recording a telephone conversation. In the UK it's legal to record a telephone conversation as long as one of the parties is aware of the recording. The law differs from Country to Country.

Moral of the story "Ya better watch what and whom you insult cause you never know who's watching/listening"

Blackvue DR400G II looks like a really decent Dashcam....

Back