Merging mishap, Car Vs Truck, Oklahoma

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
"
Recent multi-vehicle crash caused by a teen driver’s decision not to yield to a semi truck. Troopers detailed how the teen driver’s mistake resulted in a serious crash: A very scary ordeal for this 18 year old driver. She failed to yield to a semi while merging onto the highway, hit it and went spinning out of control. She is OK. The people in the red car that she hit are OK as well. This is her own dash cam video. Her dad gave it to the Highway Patrol for training purposes.

Not a lot a room on that highway to merge in.

Why would you creep up like that :rolleyes: should have chilled and merged in behind the truck.
People have no idea what it mean to operate a big rig, sure it is not rocket science, but a big rig driver can always need a little help, not cuz he is incompetent but its just the nature of the beast.

People expect the truck get out of the way, even though there is no legal obligation for the truck to do in this situation, and often there is other traffic alongside of the truck.
I usually just slow down a little, and if they are paying attention, they have a chance to accelerate and get ahead of me, but I get a lot of fingers.
:)

I can't tell where the red car you see crashed in the video was in relation to the truck? Maybe in the lane next to him?

Why would you creep up like that :rolleyes: should have chilled and merged in behind the truck.
Lack of training, some people don't have the brains to work out that they need to merge behind rather than in front, without some experience, and even when they realise there is a problem panic means they don't work out the simple solution. Presumably she had either never been on a highway before, or only done it in a couple of times in a vehicle with enough power to always get in front.

Highway training should be mandatory before receiving a license, only needs one experience like that with the trainer explaining how to sort it, but it looks like it isn't in that part of the world.

Merging onto a highway is about as simple as a driving situation can be, and if someone can't understand how to do it well they shouldn't be licensed to drive.

Phil

Merging onto a highway is about as simple as a driving situation can be, and if someone can't understand how to do it well they shouldn't be licensed to drive.

Phil
Simple enough that you don't need real experience, just a bit of time in the driving simulator being forced into situations like that. But I guess driving simulator training isn't mandatory there either (except for aircraft pilots - the people least likely to kill others).

Last edited:
Here in SC USA we license people to operate a potentially very deadly device in public with only a 70% proven score of the licensee being able to use it safely, and with no more emphasis being placed on knowing how to merge at high speeds than to know how close you must be to a curb when parking :oops: So not only should this not surprise us, we should expect it. And TBH I'm surprised that we don't see more of it.

P-poor training, testing, and rule enforcement gets p-poor results :mad:

Phil

Motorway driving are something the driving instructor focused much on when i got my license, so #3 time or so i drove a car it was off to the motorway and up and down it for 1 hour.
But when i got my license for the trucks we only went to the motorway 1 time, and just merge onto it, drive a few KM and then off the sucker again.
Rest of the driving was done in a town / downtown environment,,,,, and downtown Aarhus around noon with 18 M of steel are not child's play, so much traffic and so many no trucks here or only so and so axle pressure here.

Here's a bad merge that happened in front of me a few years back. I wouldn't have stopped in time and I chose to duck to the right and I picked the right side :oops:

Back