Mini 0803 sunshade

SteveJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo.
I decided to try and fashion a temporary sunshade for my 0803 which was getting pretty hot in our recent spell of hot weather. I used a cover from a takeaway tray, which has a foil coating on one side, and cut a slot just wide enough to slide over the mount.
The first one I found was a bit small, so I made it a bit bigger, and the second one seems to give better shade. The drawback is that it's quite noticeable from the outside, but it's easy enough to slide off when the camera is removed.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Good idea to avoid the heat from the sun. In black color would be imperceptible if you see it from outside. Easy, cheap and effective.

I like it. I positioned mine behind a toll tag on my windshield and have somewhat the same effect, but I like this better.

I've just used black electrical tape stuck to the glass, it's not the neatest solution but being black it is hardly noticeable next to the mirror attachment and it also hides the shape of the camera making the camera less obvious, especially if you don't make it square. Electrical tape is designed to cope with a bit of heat and so far it has been fine.

Definitely reduces the temperature of the camera by a lot when in full sun.

Thanks for the post. I was considering trying cutting a small piece from tinted window film, the removable kind that sticks to glass without an adhesive, normally used for side window sun shade.

Slight update to the sunshade. I stiffened it up by sticking 2 lids together back to back, then covered both sides with some thin "carbon look" vinyl that I had.
Still visible from the outside, but I prefer the look now.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

PS. I will also add that, even though the weathers been a little cooler lately, the camera is now running much cooler, in fact only slightly warm after a 30 minute or so drive.:)

Last edited:
Glad to see someone else who couldn't get the windshield mount to stick properly. :)

I also have a decent-sized air pocket on my install.

Glad to see someone else who couldn't get the windshield mount to stick properly. :)

Normal for most sticky mounts

Try putting a very thin cotton thread across it before installing, that way the air bubble has a way to escape.

My sunshield is less than half this size and still does a decent job, it is only when the sun is directly above the camera that it gets hottest, by the time the sun is lower in the sky there is a lot less heat from it.

Back