mini 0803 vs GS1000

miji2

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
GS1000, GS2000, GS5000, GS800, 0801, 0803, G90C, 0902
Ordered a mini 0803 from FoxOffer. Came with FW20140429, upgraded to FW20140510 without issues.
Image quality went from horrid to terrible. Is that an improvement? I dunno .. here is the comparison between my super old crappy GS1000 and the brand new WDR mini 0803. Click the image for a full gory PNG.

Winder lens, granted, but there is an utter and complete lack of detail. The lens focal length is messed up so badly you can't even make out any license plates anymore.
But wait, does that sound familiar? Oh yeah, I also ordered a 0801 a year ago which had similar issues (see: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ar-dvr-a-k-a-mini-0801.1001/page-3#post-12176
I eventually bricked it attempting to update it so at least it shuts down properly. So after spending close to $300, I have nothing to show for it.

So the short short version of my review: FML. What a waste of money ... again.

I recently received my Mini 0803 (also from FoxOffer), but the footage it provides is pretty good. With paused video footage I can read the number plates of cars passing in the opposite direction (closing speed 100-110 mph, i.e., 50-55 MPH each). It's comparable to the video footage quality I get with my Mobius, with only slightly worse clarity when paused, it's significantly better those on your photos!

Have you contacted FoxOffer about it? Looks like you might have a problem with the lens installation.o_O

Last edited:
It looks like something is wrong with the Mini 0803 you received. It should not be that blurry. See if you can get a replacement from FoxOffer.

Image quality should be comparable to your GS1000.

If you want to give the Mini 0803 another try, you can order it with us. We can make sure that the image is clear before having the cam sent out to you. Just PM me.

Kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
In both comparisons, I notice that the GS1000 seems to be zoomed in or at a closer distance then the 0803 is. It could be an legit issue, but unless the distance is actually the same, it would be unfair to compare the two, wouldn't it? I'll try importing some of the video I've made on my new 0803 on Sunday and post a couple of uncompressed still to see if it's a general issue, or maybe something with just your unit.

Another reason why the Mini 0803 might be blurry is that there is glare from the dash on the windscreen. From what I have seen, it makes a huge difference in the video quality for the Mini 0803 when there is no glare.

Kelvin

Both cams were mounted side by side, so the glare, lighting, distance, etc are identical between the two cams. And no, I did not return because that usually costs close to $80 which would make this whole fiasco super expensive without any guarantees that the subsequent one would be any good. But thank you for all the feedback, it conforms that I will have to attempt "open heart surgery" on this sucker :)

Back