When looking at the specs it says:

2560x1080 30fps 21:9 (cinema mode)
2304x1296 30fps 16:9
1920x1080 45fps 16:9
1920x1080 30fps 16:9
HDR 1920x1080 30fps 16:9
1280x720 60fps 16:9
1280x720 30fps 16:9

Does that mean HDR (High dynamic range) is only supported in 1920x1080 30fps 16:9?

Yes, but I think it does WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) in all the other modes which appears to work better than the HDR mode in almost all circumstances. All the images/videos I've posted have been from the 2560x1080 30fps 21:9 mode.

Yes, but I think it does WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) in all the other modes which appears to work better than the HDR mode in almost all circumstances. All the images/videos I've posted have been from the 2560x1080 30fps 21:9 mode.

The specs don't mention WDR or the apeture size, so I thought the HDR was its only feature for recording at night.

BTW does someone knows how diferently Hdr & Wdr are handled (technically I mean) ?

Also for all the people having alredy had the chance to test it, did the FHD 45fps mode give any better moving licence plate readability than the 21:9@30fps actually do ?

The specs don't mention WDR or the apeture size, so I thought the HDR was its only feature for recording at night.
True, that was why I said "I think", but compared to the mini 0803 it has a much better ability to cope with a wide range of brightnesses even in the non-HDR modes. although it is not always quite as bright in real darkness.

Zoom in on the plates in this image from my mini 0806, also my tunnel video which shows both cameras together:

Frame%202014.11.18%2016-58-21%20%280-13-48.257%29.jpg

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0806-in-a-tunnel-audio-video-test.8670/

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW does someone knows how diferently Hdr & Wdr are handled (technically I mean) ?

Also for all the people having alredy had the chance to test it, did the FHD 45fps mode give any better moving licence plate readability than the 21:9@30fps actually do ?

According to http://www.xinstruments.com/knowledge-base/digital-imaging-glossary.html , WDR and HDR are the same thing:
What is the difference between HDR and WDR?
None. It is the same thing. Names differ between industries. HDR is mostly used in photography. WDR in video surveillance industry.

The HDR is done by the sensor while the WDR is done by the processor, if you look up the sensor chip you will find some explanation of the HDR but it doesn't say how the mini 0806 actually uses it. In my experience the end result is better without the HDR on the mini 0806, that is not necessarily the case with other cameras though.

The 45 frames per second mode gives noticeably smoother playback, especially when played in slow motion. However to take a sharp image you need a fast exposure, not a fast frame rate and the exposure doesn't change thus the image is not sharper. In fact since the bit rate for the 45 fps mode is limited to less that the 50% increase needed to get the same number of bits per frame, the image quality is actually less in the 45fps mode. Best used in bright lighting conditions when you have fast action, for normal use I prefer the extra resolution you get from the 21:9 cinema mode.

Thanks Nigel

Cristal clear explanations !

The best would realy be to have an automatic "profile" switch betwen modes based on light availability with an suplementary "HDR black&white bracketted shutter speed" mode with faster shutterspeed due to reduced cmos usage.

Maybe in a next fw as it should onljy be software related, no ?

The best would realy be to have an automatic "profile" switch betwen modes based on light availability with an suplementary "HDR black&white bracketted shutter speed" mode with faster shutterspeed due to reduced cmos usage.

Maybe in a next fw as it should onljy be software related, no ?
That seemed a good idea with the 0803 and I always wanted a higher bit rate with that too.

However, the 0806 typically uses a lower bitrate than the 0803 yet produces a much better image so I don't have the desire for the higher bitrate and it also works reasonably well at night so I have never really had any desire to mess with the settings for night time use!

Well except for using the spot metering for the flaming beer barrels :D :

Frame%202014.01.04%2022-45-19%20%280-00-25.841%29.jpg

It's not perfect at night, you still get a lot of motion blur when vehicles are moving but there aren't any real issues that you feel should or could be better without needing a step change to technology which doesn't currently exist.

However, the 0806 typically uses a lower bitrate than the 0803 yet produces a much better image so I don't have the desire for the higher bitrate and it also works reasonably well at night so I have never really had any desire to mess with the settings for night time use!

much better sensor and lens on the 0806, bitrate isn't a cure all

Back