Mini 0806 stops recording and shuts down

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nigel, only just order the battery so will be a few weeks before it lands.

Couple of questions for you Nigel if you don't mind.

1. How long should the battery last, surely a couple of months isn't acceptable

2. I have hard wired my 0806, would it be worth trying the cig lighter lead that came with it.

I found the same model of the battery on aliexpress - - and some other sites and it seems it is mostly 200mAh. I'm curious if the 300mAh battery you bought off of ebay will really have this capacity.

Looking at the thread mentioning problems with battery I have a strong feeling it's the same in my case.

Again - thanks a lot for the help.

Thanks Nigel, only just order the battery so will be a few weeks before it lands.

Couple of questions for you Nigel if you don't mind.

1. How long should the battery last, surely a couple of months isn't acceptable

2. I have hard wired my 0806, would it be worth trying the cig lighter lead that came with it.
1. Depends on temperature, if you never let the air temperature get above 25 degrees C then at least 5 years, possibly 10 years, if you have left it in the car parked in full sunshine over the last few weeks at mid summer then it will be a lot less. I believe the battery is covered by warrantee for 1 year as it is not user replaceable, I would hope for 2-3 years of UK use but we don't have any evidence to support that, they should really have been easily user replaceable since that solves the problem.

2. The camera shouldn't really see a difference, 5 volts is 5 volts wherever it comes from and the lighter adaptor works in the same way as the hardwire kit although it does use different components.

Thanks Nigel.

2 months is pretty poor, unless of course it isn't charging correctly, hence the second question.

I came home from work at approx 2:30 pm, on the drive back I noticed the screen come on but was flickering and the red LED was steady. When I pulled up the drive and turned the ignition off the camera shut off instantly.

I have brought it into the house, turned it on, it flashed up "Low Battery" and turned off within 5 seconds.

I have now plugged it in to a USB charger it booted up, started recording and has been doing so for the last 2.1/2 hours, I have removed the power and it shut down correctly, turned it on using battery only comes on and does not display the "Low Battery" warning.

In the car the hardwire kit is connected to the GPS base, I may connect it directly to the camera and see how that goes.

Any thoughts.

In the car the hardwire kit is connected to the GPS base, I may connect it directly to the camera and see how that goes.

Any thoughts.
If it charges correctly in the house and will record on internal battery for 3 minutes plus then it is worth trying it with bypassing the base, the GPS should still work.

On a fresh new battery it should record for 10 to 15 minutes, after the battery has been sitting in a hot car for a few weeks that will drop significantly but it should still function as a dashcam even if you can only get 10 seconds record time on internal battery.

I suspect you got a dodgy battery and the problems will disappear with a new one, it should definitely last far longer than 2 months, 1 year minimum.

Mine is still working OK and has been in use since October last year.

Thank you again Nigel.

I will leave it connected in the house for approx 8 hours and then record on battery only. Also I will swap the power lead over in the car tomorrow (GPS base to camera body)

I will post back with the results.

Alan

UPDATE

Now a little confused, left it connected to USB charger in the house (recording) for 5 hours, unplugged USB lead and shut down normally.
Turned on (Battery only) set to record and it recorded for 11 min 40 sec before showing "Low Battery" and shutting down.
So it would appear that it is charging via USB charger connected into camera body, next step is to connect hardwire kit into the body instead of the base, if that doesn't work try the supplied cig lighter lead.

To all people having unexpected shutdown issues I would first recommend to check both voltage and current continuity with a multimeter. As many cars CIG plugs or fused circuits and cheap/old USB chargers are weak or multiplexed or dimmed nowadays and won't give sufficent/constant/stabilised current which lead to uncomplete charge, usb data mode or other strange behavior !

To all people having unexpected shutdown issues I would first recommend to check both voltage and current continuity with a multimeter. As many cars CIG plugs or fused circuits and cheap/old USB chargers are weak or multiplexed or dimmed nowadays and won't give sufficent/constant/stabilised current which lead to uncomplete charge, usb data mode or other strange behavior !
I tried two different chargers in my car (above 1A) and two different desktop chargers (one cheap and one made by Nokia or Samsung). Nothing changed.
But I agree that this can be a problem. Recently my friend was pissed that his Nokia charger needs one day to charge his smartphone. I checked the parameters and it could provide max 150mA of current :) It was new enough to have uUSB connector, but designed for the old phones that weren't so power-hungry.
Once I was also having problems with a power supply (unbranded) at work and after checking stability of voltage I just threw it away...

After a few more email exchanges the seller agreed to replace the mini0806. I was told to send the camera alone (without box or accessories) via regular post, and I was even promised a refund of the shipping costs.
So unfortunately I will not be trying the battery replacement procedure.

After a few more email exchanges the seller agreed to replace the mini0806. I was told to send the camera alone (without box or accessories) via regular post, and I was even promised a refund of the shipping costs.
So unfortunately I will not be trying the battery replacement procedure.
Glad to see you finally got a fair answer !

Last week I finally received a replacement and until now everything seems to be working fine.
Using this occasion I would like to recognize the support of this AliExpress store - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/906231 (Shenzhen Blueskyocean Technology Co., Ltd.)

After I explained the issue they had no problem with replacing my faulty unit. I sent it via regular post so it was very cheap (around 5USD) and the seller even offered to refund the shipping cost.

I have purchased a short lead with a female connector on one end (that my power lead connects into) and an 90 deg angled male plug on the other that now connects into the camera body instead of the GPS base (had to get an angled one because of the rake of the windscreen) I have been running this for about 4 weeks now without it turning off or giving a "low battery" warning.
I also got a new battery but haven't needed to fit it yet.

So "touch wood" by connecting directly into the camera body its solved the "low battery" issue and premature shutting down.

Back