mini 0906 overheating

ChiTownCam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0906
I have had my mini 0906 for almost a month now and just the other day the GPS mount that is on the windshield got real hot to the touch and then the GPS stopped working.
I contact Veckle to get a replacement but they asked for pictures of the GPS not working and when I started up the cam, the GPS mount was cool, but the camera seems to get hot at times up to 161F, which I thought was too hot. The representative from Veckle said it should shut off after it reaches 140F and it didnt so I am questioning whether I have a bad camera besides a bad mount.

Does anyone else's 0906 get hot over the recommended temperatures? Does it shut off because of the heat?

The representative said to keep it directly out of the sun, which I found to be absurd since it is mounted directly to the windshield in the sun. I think the suction cup mount would help with heat rather than mounting directly on the windshield personally.

Any input would be appreciated!

I lived in Indonesia which has tropical climate year round. The temperature in Jakarta can reach 35C (95F) during day. The dashcam operating temp can reach 75C (167F), but it never shutdown because of it. If I set the AC blow angled to the dashcam, the temp down to 60C (140F). That's why I ordered a small 12v 0.07A blower fan, and I will install it as soon as it arrived in few days. I will let you know how it goes.

p.s. I read from the manual the dashcam will shutdown at 90C (194F). I'm using firmware FIRMWARE_20171220_nolog from here.

Blower fan link

During preliminary testing on the 0906 i was not able to get my test sample to overheat in spite of me having everything ON while using the 0906, but i should also say that the Danish summer 2017, well in my book Denmark dident have a summer in 2017.
But i had screen ON and wifi ON all the time while using it, i think one of the other testers did manage to get his to overheat back then.
But my sample was also a bit in the shade i think, had it mounted up as high on the dotted area as i could without having anything of it in frame.
Anyways this time of year in the windy city sun induced heat cant be a problem as far as i know.

@ChiTownCam The operating temperature is -10°C to 60°C (14°F-140°F) and the storage tem is -20°C to 80°C (-4°F-176°F). Sincerely to tell you that the temperature protection in this camera will shut down the camera when the camera temperature reaches 90°C (194°F). We suggest that do not expose to extreme high or low temperature to avoid damaging the electronic components. Hoping the answer could be helpful for you in this regard. We will arrange the replacement (GPS mount) for you asap later. Please check your email.

@ChiTownCam The operating temperature is -10°C to 60°C (14°F-140°F) and the storage tem is -20°C to 80°C (-4°F-176°F). Sincerely to tell you that the temperature protection in this camera will shut down the camera when the camera temperature reaches 90°C (194°F). We suggest that do not expose to extreme high or low temperature to avoid damaging the electronic components. Hoping the answer could be helpful for you in this regard. We will arrange the replacement (GPS mount) for you asap later. Please check your email.

/like

While I understand the unit getting hot in warm environment, but when this happened the temperature was under 32F and not sunny at all, and the inside temp in my car was around 72-75F so why would the unit get up to 161F under these conditions?

Thank you all for your help and advice. I am hoping that the new mount will fix the high temps on the camera.

Yeah something are fishy here for sure.

This is the followup regarding installing blower fan to cool down Mini 0906 dash cam.

Condition:
- Dash cam installed on windshield without dotted shade. The windshield has 3M Crystaline 20% film on it.
- Outside temp 31C (89F).
- Air conditioner set to 24.5C (76F) automatic climate control.
- Weather was cloudy.
- Using FIRMWARE_20171220_nolog from here.
- Video resolution 1080p30 + 720p30.
- Samsung EVO Plus 128gb.

The small blower fan is rated at 12V 0.06A. Without the fan the dash cam can reach 70C (158F). With the fan it only reach 60C (140F). The fan make a little noise when active, but it doesn't picked up by dash cam microphone.

p.s. the pic was taken during light rain, not during the test.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Well here is my update to my situation.

After sending pics to Veckle on Monday and they agreed to get me a replacement in 1-4 days and send me a tracking number when shipped. They assured me that it would be safe to use as is, and the temperature was constantly between 140F-159F with or without the screen being on, and I have said the temperatures here are very cold which should help keep it cool. After a couple of days the mount still wasn't shipped and I have gotten the excuse that it rained too hard to ship out the replacement. So I waited 2 more days (by now I should have the replacement per Veckle) to ask them when it was shipping, their response was we do not work weekends. So after that response and the unit running hot all the time I decided to return the unit as it was just 30 days from my purchase. I replied to Veckle to tell them to not ship out the replacement as I have decided to return the unit. I contacted Amazon to start the return process, and 12 hours later I was contacted by Veckle (Hey! Its the weekend you do not work weekends!) that the item had shipped the day before, but they had no tracking number and I should get it in 1-3 days.

While I appreciate making a last ditch effort from them trying to save a sale I am leery of many complaints of the unit running hot. And when Veckle told me to keep it out of the direct sunlight, that was ridiculous due to the unit being mounted directly to the windshield. I can understand that statement maybe if there was a suction cup mount as that might create a little distance from the windshield and the sun.

To all of you who are sticking with the Mini I wish you Luck and I appreciate all those who contributed to help! I now will go start looking for my next dash cam.

Thank you!

@ChiTownCam So sorry for the delay! The replacement was sent out and it shoud be delivered today or tomorrow.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I think I have the same problem with both of my Blueskysea Mini 0906s I bought last year via eBay.

My dash cam has been randomly shutting down, I can turn it back on but it frequently shuts down again within a few minutes. Mine seems to hold up much better if I don't have the rear camera plugged in but I want a dual camera dash cam so that's not really a solution.

Tonight I spent some time troubleshooting it. after upgrading to the latest firmware (20180904) I turned my car on in a 70F (21C) garage.

Almost instantly the displayed temperature rose above 95F (30C), within a few minutes the displayed temperature was over 110F (43C) and within 10 minutes it was almost 140F (60C).

At first I thought it had to be a faulty temperature sensor because the dash cam did not feel remotely that hot but I got a non-contact thermometer and confirmed that the surface temp at the top of the unit was over 105F (41C).

If it gets this hot in very mild ambient temps I can only imagine how hot it gets when the car interior is over 120F (49C) (I live in Southern California and ambient temps over 105F (41C) are common in the summer).

Seems like this can't possibly be normal.

I know it's been more than a year since I bought these so I may be SOL as far as getting these replaced but I wanted to check if there were any solutions (besides buying a fan to keep my dash cam cool) before I threw in the towel and bought new cams. I bought the 0906 because I had good experience with a mini 0806 I bought in 2016 (that's still going strong).

Thanks for any assistance.

the shown temperature is almost SOC temperature, which will be much higher than camera housing temperature and air temperature.
the temperature is used to preform temperature protection in summer only.
it can be 60C to 70C while recording, it is quite normal.

a computer CPU temperature can be 60C with a big fan for office use, and go to 90C when running game software.

the shown temperature is almost SOC temperature, which will be much higher than camera housing temperature and air temperature.
the temperature is used to preform temperature protection in summer only.
it can be 60C to 70C while recording, it is quite normal.

a computer CPU temperature can be 60C with a big fan for office use, and go to 90C when running game software.

Well something's definitely wrong then because the following few days since I made my comment above every afternoon the 0906 shut itself off multiple times. With outside temps around 65F-75F/18C-24F and temps inside the car cool enough I didn't feel the need to run my air conditioner the dash cam was climbing well above 150F/66C and the dash cam would shut down. I could turn the cam back on and it would work for a few more minutes before shutting off again.

I've since disconnected the rear camera and while the displayed temps are still high at least the cam is staying on.

A couple of other cams (DR900s and Garmin 55) got firmware revisions to address high-heat/early shut-down issues. They've done well with it- no burned-up cams or premature cam failures reported yet. But it's up to the cam manufacturer to choose how far they're willing to push the boundaries since they have to warranty their products.

Perhaps a revision made in "beta" firmware could be a work-around to the warranty issue while still giving the cam owner a possible remedy. If the beta works out then do an official firmware upgrade. Could be done "on request only" like with the B1W and parking modes.

Phil

An update on this issue, I've been running with the rear camera disconnected since last week, well Monday was the first hot day of the year with ambient temps over 90F/32C. Well I saw the displayed temp on the cam go as high as 173F/78C and the cam never shut down so it seems the camera can continue to function at much higher temperatures if it's only running the front cam than it is if it's running both the front and the rear cams.

Still not a great solution because I bought this because I wanted both a front and rear camera but hopefully this will help people figure out the issue.

Back