The Mini 0906 is the first dual dash cam from the popular Mini Series. This camera was released in mid 2017 and is manufactured by Megtech but sold under various brand names. It is one of the most affordable discreet dual 1080p cameras on the market today. The camera uses a Novatek NT96663 processor and Sony Exmor IMX290 image sensor for the front camera and Sony Exmor IMX322 sensor for the rear camera. This combination allows for 1080p recording at 30fps for both video streams. (Note that the Mini 0906 may come with the Sony IMX291 in the front and IMX323 in the rear depending on production run – these are nearly identical sensors). The bit rate is adjustable via 3 settings:
- Normal = 10 Front, 8 Rear
- Fine = 15 Front, 12 Rear
- Super Fine = 20 Front, 16 Rear
Video quality for the front camera is very good during the day and good at night. The rear camera does not perform as well but it is good during the day and average at night. While the Super Fine quality is marginally better than the Fine and Normal settings, you will need to decide if the large file size is worth it for .
The Mini 0906 has numerous features including:
- Has a super capacitor instead of a battery, which is a better choice when running a dash cam in hot environments (batteries tend to swell / expand in the heat)
- Comes with a “parking guard” mode by recording with a time lapse function (lower fps). There are 2 options to choose from:
- Motion trigger – records using time lapse mode while parked but if motion is detected it will switch to 30fps for 15 seconds. Note that you may lose a few seconds of recording with this method while the camera is switching modes.
- Always Lapse (Nov 1 2017 and newer firmware) – records using time lapse mode while parked even if motion is detected. No lose of recording since it does not switch modes
- Includes a CPL filter to reduce glare (works well in day but reduces visibility at night)
- Includes a temperature protection function which turns off the camera once it gets over approximately 73°C. This prevents the camera from getting damaged in high heat
The Mini 0906 comes with 1.5″ screen on the front camera and G-sensor. GPS is integrated into the mount. The Mini 0906 is very small at only 70mm x 40mm x 47mm. This popular form factor and small size make this a very discreet camera.
The bigger question is whether the Mini 0906 will be reliable given problems with past Mini models. For the Mini 0906, there have been a few reported issues but the manufacturer has been actively supporting this camera with numerous firmware updates since new. Overall most owners have been pleased with the camera and it offers a lot of value for the money.
We would like to thank our member Sunny who created a detailed review for this camera on our forum.
There have been a handful of owners who have indicated that the camera locks up at random times. The manufacturer has released a firmware with no logging enabled to address this issue. This solution is currently being tested and we will track to see if this issue continues to arise.
Rear Extension Cable Problem
On the Nov 2017 batches of the Mini 0906, a small percentage of the cameras had a defective cable connecting the front camera to the rear camera. This resulted in rear camera problems such as flickering, purple / magenta strips, image freezing or camera freezing. This has been corrected with an updated extension cable.
Reset to Factory Settings
A couple of owners have indicated that the camera has reset itself to factory settings at random times. This has so far been a rare problem but it is being investigated.
Our member Tobi@s has shared some teardown photos of this camera.
Day Video Front
Day Video Rear
Night Video Front
Night Video Rear
Should I Purchase?
In the dual camera market, there has been 2 dominant categories. Cheap, low quality Chinese cameras with poor video quality, low reliability and no support. At the other extreme, there are the very expensive Korean cameras (BlackVue, Thinkware, etc.) with better video quality and a lot of features. However very few dual cameras resided in between these 2 categories.
That is why we are impressed with the Mini 0906. It provides excellent video quality, discreet package at a reasonable price point. Also consider that it comes with GPS, uses a super capacitor instead of a battery,comes with parking guard and high temperature shut-off, the Mini 0906 is a well equipped camera.
Initial reliability appears to be ok but it is a bit early to make a definitive statement until the camera is in the market a bit more time. Also the manufacturer has been active in supporting the camera with frequent firmware updates and appears to be listening to customer inquiries / requests. Overall the Mini 0906 is an excellent value for the money if you are looking for a budget dual camera.
For more information on this camera, see what other owners are saying at our Mini 0906 forum.
WARNING! MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR FIRMWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DASH CAM AS A RESULT OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Firmware Update Instructions
- Format the MicroSD Card
- Copy the firmware file (.bin) onto the root of the MicroSD Card
- You may need to rename the firmware file to firmware.bin
- Insert the MicroSD Card into the camera and turn on the camera
- After the firmware update is completed be sure to delete the files or you will be prompted to update again
- FIRMWARE_20171220_nolog.zip (Does not keep a log – try if your camera is freezing)
The English User Manual can be downloaded here.
Published: Dec 28, 2017
Updated: August 6, 2018
Mini 0906 - DashCamTalk
The Mini 0906 provides very good video quality, discreet package at a reasonable price point.
Product SKU: Mini 0906
Product Brand: Mini
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 130
Price Valid Until: 2023-01-01
Product In-Stock: SoldOut