Mini 2 GPS mount sticking at the edges only

Cirrus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 Mini 2
Has anyone managed to install the GPS mount to the windscreen with the full surface of the base sticking to the windscreen?
I haven't, the mount is only sticking to the glass at the edges. I used exactly the same method as cpo in his hardwire install video.

I tried to make a photo of it but it's unusable because of reflections in the windscreen glass.

I did clean the windscreen properly before installation.

Last edited:
I used exactly the same method as cpo in his hardwire install video.
It appears that the camera was pushed directly onto the glass in that video, this risks trapping air bubbles under the pad, and because the glass is curved, you will get the edges sticking first, trapping a large bubble of air in the middle.

The correct way to do it is to stick it on starting at one edge, once you are sure that edge is in the correct place, push firmly so that the sticky pad is compressed, then, using the edge as a hinge, slowly fold the camera onto the glass. Any air between the sticky pad and glass then gets squeezed out from under the pad as the pad lays down against the glass. It is best to start with a horizontal edge, since the glass is curved horizontally, starting with a vertical edge makes the last bit very difficult, since the edge will probably contact before the centre, trapping some air.

It is common to get a small bubble of air in the centre, and even if you don't, one may form later, due to the curvature of the glass pulling the centre of the pad back up, but most of the pad should be in contact with the glass.

@Cirrus, You are experiencing a problem that many dash cam users have been reporting for many years. In "some" cases applying pressure to the middle of the mount and running your thumb towards the edges can improve the situation a bit by squeezing at least some of the air out from behind the glass.

Nevertheless, there is a reasonable chance that even with a bubble and only contact near the edges, the mount will hold securely. I would leave it the way it is and see how things go. If and when the mount begins to fail you can then redo the installation with a fresh adhesive pad.

It is common to get a small bubble of air in the centre, and even if you don't, one may form later, due to the curvature of the glass pulling the centre of the pad back up, but most of the pad should be in contact with the glass.
To prevent this from happening, I cut out a 10mm wide strip of adhesive tape on all fasteners.
Vertical or horizontal there is no difference.
Not a single model fell, I peeled everything off myself.

@Cirrus, You are experiencing a problem that many dash cam users have been reporting for many years. In "some" cases applying pressure to the middle of the mount and running your thumb towards the edges can improve the situation a bit by squeezing at least some of the air out from behind the glass.
Thanks for your above replies.
I was careful not to apply too much pressure to the middle of the mount, as I didn't want to risk damaging the GPS module inside. I noticed some flexing of the casing of the mount. More flexing than the larger (sturdier?) GPS mount of the A119 V3, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for your above replies.
I was careful not to apply too much pressure to the middle of the mount, as I didn't want to risk damaging the GPS module inside. I noticed some flexing of the casing of the mount. More flexing than the larger (sturdier?) GPS mount of the A119 V3, if I recall correctly.

As long as you don't apply a truly excessive amount a pressure, a bit of flexing of the plastic housing is unlikely to damage the circuit board mounted inside. Use some common sense when you apply the pressure and you should be fine. I've not heard any reports of anyone damaging their GPS mount.

Edit: BTW, if you are uncomfortable pressing on the mount, just leave it the way it is now. As I mentioned earlier, even with a bubble of air behind the glass there is a reasonable chance the mount will hold the camera securely. You could just wait and see what happens.

Last edited:
Tried that several times, and the mount still hold, but the bubble / circle in the mount do mess with my OCD or what ever it is called

To prevent this from happening, I cut out a 10mm wide strip of adhesive tape on all fasteners.
Vertical or horizontal there is no difference.
Not a single model fell, I peeled everything off myself.
Can you take a photo from your construction?

Can you take a photo from your construction?
A229_11.jpg
Like that. But here the module is wide and you can cut the strip a little wider.
If a module with a cut-out strip is glued to glass without a film, then it is easier to remove it if necessary than a module without a cutout.
Edit: Here it was necessary to make a cut across. Then it would be easier to peel off the red film when installing the module.

Last edited:
I finally managed to take a usable photo.

View attachment 72632
That won't fall off, but you should be able to get a bit more contact in the top right if you push on that corner.
You will not get rid of all the air, no point in trying.

Is it a small car, thus more curvature to the glass?

It's a Mazda 323 Protege. The glass is almost flat at the mounting spot.
I'll try to apply some pressure to the top right corner (top left from the inside). Maybe it will add some sticking surface.

323_Protege.jpg

Back