Mini0806 newbie

Ted Wilson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm Ted from the UK and have recently bought a mini0806 that is now hardwired into my car.

I've read the PDF handbook from cover to cover, several times, but still ran into problems getting it to work properly. After searching several forums online, I finally found one that provides real assistance, so here I am. :)

My initial question was posted as a conversation and was very ably answered by Nigel who, apart from giving me the solution, told me such questions are best dealt with by way of a 'thread', which allows anyone interested to join in. I can't imagine nobody else ran into this problem, so here are details and the solution to it:

I formatted the memory card, then installed the firmware.bin file downloaded from www.mini0806.com on the memory, and loaded the memory card in the camera.

When I turned the camera on, it invited me to update the firmware, which I did, and the camera reported that the update had been successful - result!

Trouble was - every time I started the car and camera turned on, it asked me if I wanted to do a firmware update and would not proceed to normal operation until I answered it.

Nigel told me to delete the .bin file from the memory card, as it is no longer needed. Problem solved.

There are still however a couple more issues I need to address:

The .bin file I used for the update is dated 20150115 and I'm aware there are more recent updates available, but I gather there was a problem with one of the more recent updates that caused the camera to 'freeze' and required quite a complex recovery procedure. See: mini0806 Dash Camera - UPDATE

I would be grateful if anyone out there can provide any further information and updates on this problem.

I have the camera set to display speed in MPH, but the on-screen display is in KPH, despite saying the units are MPH. I gather this is a known bug that has now been fixed, but I'm not prepared to download a more recent update until I know the position re the update that caused the problems.

Any help gratefully received.

Refreshing to find such a well informed and helpful forum.

Regards

Ted

Hi Ted,

The only issue I know of with installing updates is that you must ensure that the battery does not run flat half way through. So after putting the firmware.bin file on the card, make sure the camera has power from either the car or a phone charger before pressing "YES" to install the firmware update. You can't use computer power for this as then it would enter USB mode with the blue screen.

I've installed about 20 updates on my mini 0806 without any problems, just make sure the camera has power. (Yes, I know there haven't been that many updates officially released!)

Hopefully Rayman has added the instruction to delete firmware.bin after the update is complete into V3 of the user manual, I guess he has a pile of V2 already printed though.

Nigel

Hi Ted,

The only issue I know of with installing updates is that you must ensure that the battery does not run flat half way through. So after putting the firmware.bin file on the card, make sure the camera has power from either the car or a phone charger before pressing "YES" to install the firmware update. You can't use computer power for this as then it would enter USB mode with the blue screen.

I've installed about 20 updates on my mini 0806 without any problems, just make sure the camera has power. (Yes, I know there haven't been that many updates officially released!)

Hopefully Rayman has added the instruction to delete firmware.bin after the update is complete into V3 of the user manual, I guess he has a pile of V2 already printed though.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. I worked at BAE Sytems for the last 17 years of my career, so I'm well aware of the problem of trying to keep documentation abreast of a product, especially when the product is in the early stages of release. :)

I had another look at the updates available and have now installed the 20150128 update, which deals with the GPS units issue - my wife is going out shortly, so I'll examine the footage when she gets back. (Not going near the February update unless I know it's safe to do so).

I've changed the video format to cinema mode, as it seems, from what I've picked up from online discussions that this offers the best picture detail?

Thanks Nigel. I worked at BAE Sytems for the last 17 years of my career, so I'm well aware of the problem of trying to keep documentation abreast of a product, especially when the product is in the early stages of release. :)

I had another look at the updates available and have now installed the 20150128 update, which deals with the GPS units issue - my wife is going out shortly, so I'll examine the footage when she gets back. (Not going near the February update unless I know it's safe to do so).

I've changed the video format to cinema mode, as it seems, from what I've picked up from online discussions that this offers the best picture detail?

Hello again Nigel. Another question occurs to me, arising from your last response. You refer to using a phone charger to power the camera during updates. I've often wondered - setting aside the fact that there are different styles and sizes of connectors used, is the charging voltage/pinout of chargers rationalised across the range of portable products: cameras, camcorders, mobile phones, sat navy's etc.?

Would make a lot of sense, but that doesn't necessarily mean manufacturerss agreed on such a sensible approach. Like most people these days, we've got drawers full of chargers and leads, most of which I no longer what they're for, but I've never been prepared to risk interchanging them.

Yes, cinema mode gives the best detail, and there is no point wasting memory recording the details of your bonnet and all the reflections in it, recording the clouds is also rarely of much use!

Hello again Nigel. Another question occurs to me, arising from your last response. You refer to using a phone charger to power the camera during updates. I've often wondered - setting aside the fact that there are different styles and sizes of connectors used, is the charging voltage/pinout of chargers rationalised across the range of portable products: cameras, camcorders, mobile phones, sat navy's etc.?

Would make a lot of sense, but that doesn't necessarily mean manufacturerss agreed on such a sensible approach. Like most people these days, we've got drawers full of chargers and leads, most of which I no longer what they're for, but I've never been prepared to risk interchanging them.
USB is a standard which specifies the voltage and current on the pins of it's connectors. There are several shapes of USB connector but the mini 0806 uses a micro USB connector which has also been the standard connector for almost all mobile phones sold in Europe over the last few years so there is a very good chance your phone charger is compatible. Older phones used all sorts of connectors which was a nightmare if you had several. I think the phone manufacturers were forced to agree to sort out the mess, although Apple have opted out and are in trouble with the EU: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ndard-port-for-european-idevices-by-2017.html

Well most mini 0806 have micro USB, mine has a mini USB connector :(

Powering my prototype 0806 using the USB port on it was no good, none of my micro USB leads worked in it without me pushing on the plug.
So i have allways updated my 0806 in the car as there is no connection issues in the regular mount.

Back