Mini0806 - powers up then a few minutes later powers off ??

Phildo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Ok folks after about a year of working ok my 0806 suddenly powers up when car starts then a few minutes later - Bing Bing - it powers off.

Any clues re cause/fix ?

sounds like the recording is failing, if it doesn't record a few minutes later it will power off

have you checked the memory card for errors?

how is the battery?

Jokiin - I'll check the card - the battery is fine

Windows user

Ok, there's a link in my signature to the software to test the card, make sure the card is empty before you start the process

Thanks will try it when I'm back on my PC tomorrow

I would suggest to anyone who has one of these NOT to power it via the base ...

power it via the port in the camera.

you still get functioning gps as the power slips from the camera up to the base..

There IS method behind my madness :D:D:D:D

Agreed with @petepete. The contacts in the base are not the best, and any intermittent electrical connectivity will wreak havoc on the camera stability.

I periodically get a camera that will not power up, or not stay powered up. I manually turn it on, and it will record for a few minutes, and then shut down again. When that happens, I go into the menu, select format card, and all is well again for another few weeks/months. I'm using SanDisk 64GB cards - and SanDisk is known to not play nice with the 0806. That may be the issue. One thing is certain - the 0806 is very picky about data integrity. If there is even the slightest glitch on the card somewhere, it'll get tripped up in a hurry.

I would suggest to anyone who has one of these NOT to power it via the base ...

power it via the port in the camera.

you still get functioning gps as the power slips from the camera up to the base..

There IS method behind my madness :D:D:D:D
Hello petepete, I'm not sure exactly what you are saying with regard to NOT powering the 0806 via the base. What do you mean by the "base" but powering it via the port in the camera, what specific "port"? I thought that there is only one way to install the wiring to the camera and then to the "cig" power outlet, with the simple install.

I'm brand new to this dash cam game and I'm already frustrated trying to decide as to which camera to get. At this point, I'm considering the mini 0806, and yet, I read that waiting for the 0807 (with the capacitor) to be released may be the better decision. Yikes! Thank you.

there are 2 Micro USB sockets in the mount base and 1 in the camera itself, it's more reliable when connected via the Micro USB in the camera

Sometimes not just more reliable, the difference between working and not !

Its can also be a neater install.

While the 0806 is undoubtedly a provider of very good footage, I have noticed on the 0805 I can read a sign hanging in my kitchen that cannot be read by an 0806 and have yet to start testing an 0805 in the car but that hints at the fact the 0805 might actually perform better ... I was surprised !

Have to say the new mini with re designed body and capacitor should shape up to be a "coming of age" mini with all the history before it and I would expect it to become the camera of choice for many ..

I would like to try one to confirm my suspicions..

but I cant justify buying one as my dam 0806 s seem to be reliable !!!!

While the 0806 is undoubtedly a provider of very good footage, I have noticed on the 0805 I can read a sign hanging in my kitchen that cannot be read by an 0806 and have yet to start testing an 0805 in the car but that hints at the fact the 0805 might actually perform better ... I was surprised !

they're essentially the same bar the lens

Have to say the new mini with re designed body and capacitor should shape up to be a "coming of age" mini with all the history before it and I would expect it to become the camera of choice for many ..

they have for the most part improved with each generation so you'd think so, has been a while coming

I reformatted my 32g SanDisk via the link provided by Jokiin in his signature and do far after two days - all good - the 0806 keeps recording

They have "boxed" very clever in the competitive dashcam market ..

As fast as I put used 0806 s up for sale they fly out more than other cameras to people who have held off purchasing new.

I believe the new camera will be a roaring success because of their past customer base and pent up demand for a reliable mini and this is the first time they have offered a capacitor solution !!!

they're essentially the same bar the lens

That's interesting...

I have now tested the 0805 outside and it performs better on number plates and requires minimal sharpening compared with my 0806's and I note it has a much bigger battery.
If it had a CPL it would be my preferred choice over the 0806.

When I had them side by side mate the 0806 was better at night so might be worth trying again tonight? The 0806 did give clearer night time footage than the 0805, they were early units though.

Sometimes not just more reliable, the difference between working and not !

Its can also be a neater install.

I would like to try one to confirm my suspicions..

but I cant justify buying one as my dam 0806 s seem to be reliable !!!!
The batteries on the 0806s will start to give up when the summer heat arrives next year, then you can have an upgrade! The batteries are only small so two summers is quite likely all they will manage. Of course you could replace the batteries cheaper than an upgrade.

The 0805 has a narrower FOV so it can be easier to read plates etc, however the WDR on the 0806 is a lot better so as reverend says, the 0806 is better in poor lighting, at night and in sunshine with shadows. The 0806 normally gives a nicer image. The 0903 does look nice, but also doesn't have the high resolution modes, only normal HD.

When I had them side by side mate the 0806 was better at night so might be worth trying again tonight? The 0806 did give clearer night time footage than the 0805, they were early units though.

I ll try it, thanks for the heads up ..

I have to focus one of my 0806's and am going to have a go at fitting the gt680w 160 degree F1.6 lens and see if I can get it to focus and hope it improves the night footage which is great on a gt680 tweaked in vlc. ( might try it on an 0805 as I have tons of them with no bases and working perfect.

were the early lens on the 0806 that looked purple ish in colour better than the late ones ?

were the early lens on the 0806 that looked purple ish in colour better than the late ones ?
I've never noticed a difference once they are properly focused, wouldn't be surprised if they are all from the same manufacturer but just coated differently, it's the anti-reflection coatings that cause the colour.

Back