Mini0806 - powers up then a few minutes later powers off ??

I've never noticed a difference once they are properly focused, wouldn't be surprised if they are all from the same manufacturer but just coated differently, it's the anti-reflection coatings that cause the colour.

I thought they gave a bit of a bluey tinge but it might have been the light fading between taking the footage ..

they seem to be on the early batch 1 cameras and I wondered if they were better before they bought in more bulk and began cost cutting ..

Are the GT680W the same screw thread as the Mini series mate? I seem to remember they had a tiny mount when I took the 680 apart but never took a Mini to bits.

The GT680W was a great little camera for UK weather though, I did get through a couple that failed and the 880 I had was dodgy too :/

Yep. The gt680 has a short mount and the mini a longer one but I thought all these camera lens were m12..the difference in this length I thought might be a problem..can always try it in a Möbius ..
Found the problem with the early 0806..the wire from the contacts is very short and the ring for adjustment was cast without enough depth for the wire to seat in and so it catches and wears leaving intermittent connection
..repairable though..

I would suggest to anyone who has one of these NOT to power it via the base ...

power it via the port in the camera.

you still get functioning gps as the power slips from the camera up to the base..

There IS method behind my madness :D:D:D:D

Hello

Would you Pete, or anyone else suggest this option as being a fix for my Mini 0806 problem?

In the last few weeks the LCD screen image has started to flicker (it's a minimal flicker) while recording and then the Camera losers total power (low power message). I have to jiggle the USB cable connected into the GPS mount in order fo the power to come on again, but the LCD screen image still flickers. When I connect the USB cable directly to the camera the LCD image stops flickering.

Would you think this issue is GPS mount related or the actual gold power contact on the unit its self?

I have the unit hardwired running off a 2amp fuse, woundering if that is to small of a fuse to run the camera and GPS unit as a possible casue for the problem.

The camera is only 6 months old and don't know what luck I will have getting Gearbest.com to accept and replace the unit to Australia.

Cheers

I never got to the bottom of it but I suspect it is a bit of resistance on the contacts or possibly related to the little thin wire going into the camera rubbing with maybe a break in it becoming imminent...

point is if you feed via the camera, the power enters and is then split to the camera and you have eliminated it travelling through the contacts and thin wire bar only the GPS is fed through them.

point is if you feed via the camera, the power enters and is then split to the camera and you have eliminated it travelling through the contacts and thin wire bar only the GPS is fed through them.
I tried connecting the USB power cable directly to the Camera, but the GPS mount wouldn't power up.
Have I misunderstood what you meant? I read it as the power would run and split into the camera giving it power, then run into the gps mount to power it on.

I tried connecting the USB power cable directly to the Camera, but the GPS mount wouldn't power up.
Have I misunderstood what you meant? I read it as the power would run and split into the camera giving it power, then run into the gps mount to power it on.

if the GPS won't work when power is plugged into the camera that's a good indicator that the connection at the mount is not good

As the gps is working when the power is plugged into the base and only the camera has problems - you know the gps is good.

As the camera is working when the power is plugged into it and only the gps has problems -you know the camera is good.

This indicates the connection between base and camera is at fault and on the mini series that can be the contacts on the base or the known problem of the wire linking the two having rubbed on the ring and developed an intermittent fault.. This is common on the early ones as the grove the wire should seat in was not deep enough leaving the wire exposed to wear.

As the gps is working when the power is plugged into the base and only the camera has problems - you know the gps is good.

As the camera is working when the power is plugged into it and only the gps has problems -you know the camera is good.

This indicates the connection between base and camera is at fault and on the mini series that can be the contacts on the base or the known problem of the wire linking the two having rubbed on the ring and developed an intermittent fault.. This is common on the early ones as the grove the wire should seat in was not deep enough leaving the wire exposed to wear.

HEY! I just purchased the Mini 0806 from SpyTec on Amazon with the cpl filter. This will be my very first dash cam and I don't want to hear anymore negatives about this model! :) :) :) :)

Last edited:
if the GPS won't work when power is plugged into the camera that's a good indicator that the connection at the mount is not good

Hopefully it's the GPS mount that has the bad connection and not the actual gold connection on the camera.

A replacement GPS mount at $30Aus isn't much of an outlay, probably easier than trying to chase Gearbest on a warranty issue.

Would trying another mount be the only sure way to know or is there other tricks.

Pete you mentioned a known wiring issue on earlier models, mine is a batch 3 is that still an issue.

not seen it on the later ones but its easy to check for by having a quick look ..

probably only those who mess around taking their cameras out and twizzling the ring around that are going to get problems on early models...

I'm having the same issue. When I power up the car (power cable is attached to the base), the camera turns on but does not record and the bottom right has a red line through the card icon. If you push record, it says the card does not have sufficient space to record and shortly powers down. If I push the power button, the unit powers on and starts recording just fine.

Has anyone had this similar issue and found a fix for it?

I'm running a SanDisk C10 32G card. I tried formatting it and restoring factory defaults, both to no avail.

Oh, it seemed to start happening earlier this week when after I turned the car off, the unit beeped like a siren until the battery died. The unit was completely unresponsive during this beeping.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue. When I power up the car (power cable is attached to the base)

I'm running a SanDisk C10 32G card. I tried formatting it and restoring factory defaults, both to no avail.

Attach the Power Cable to the Camera and NOT the base..

As for the card run h2testw with the memory card formatted with no data and see if it has errors, if has errors replace card. Also SanDisk is known not to "play" nice with this dash cam, try a different brand.

Hope This Helps!

I'm running the test now.

I also ran the power directly to the camera with the same results.

I'm noticing now that it is happening intermittently, more often than not though, it will not record and shuts down but on occasion it will work just fine. Go figure.

I'll post results of the card check.

Even genuine cards will get corrupted data for various reasons. The 0806 is extremely sensitive to this. If there is bad data on the card, the camera will power off when it hits it. The immediate fix is to format the card - right there, in the camera. With the slate wiped clean, you'll find the random power downs will stop... until the next corruption occurs...

Even genuine cards will get corrupted data for various reasons. The 0806 is extremely sensitive to this. If there is bad data on the card, the camera will power off when it hits it. The immediate fix is to format the card - right there, in the camera. With the slate wiped clean, you'll find the random power downs will stop... until the next corruption occurs...

that's a file handling issue that is firmware addressable, if there was firmware support

Hello,

I'm glad I found this post and I'm glad I was able to fix the problem that I had on my both Mini-0806 cameras. I have one in the front and one in the back powered up thru a splitter both having a memory card of 128 GB. First the one in the back started to flicker and after several seconds started to make 3 beeps and after a minute it was shutting off. Sometimes it was giving me memory card errors like the card is full and needs to be reformatted. After several weeks the one in the front started to have the same issues. At the beginning I thought I was the splitter since I had to make the cables longer and when the one in the back started to have the issues I unplugged it.
I'm driving about an hour to work and home and I cannot mess around with my camera since I've mounted behind the mirror but I guess I got lucky since once I've moved the power cable that is hooked up to the mount and I noticed it was the cable/plug and one day I've took the mount apart( be careful with the 6 little screws cause they are easy to lose) and I've soldered the wires directly and I had no problems since. The mount in the front I took it off the windshield to solder the wires but the one in the back I just took it apart and mounted back together without taking it off the windshield.
IMG_0357.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 8
Back