MIO 588 mSD space usage and format

doobre

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
have received the above from Taiwan..

main problem is > there are four settings for the available space on the mSD card. which are fixed and the maximum space you can out of the 32Gb for 'normal' camera recordings is only 20 Gb..
and since the codec used is taking up 507Mb for each 5minute file.. the max duration available for 'normal' recordings is just over 3hrs.. and the card is "full" and starts to overwrite the existing files..
This is stupid... it should be possible have the whole card's space available if that is how you like to do it..

It sounds like it has space reserved for event or parking files, some manufacturers do it this way, it depends what chipset they are using

yes for sure... but if you are not using the parking or event storage the space should be available to you for the 'normal' usage.. it wastes a third of the storage..
and there is no quality settings to adjust to make the limited space go further..
I think these are basic errors in design..

yes for sure... but if you are not using the parking or event storage the space should be available to you for the 'normal' usage.. it wastes a third of the storage..
and there is no quality settings to adjust to make the limited space go further..
I think these are basic errors in design..

it's a one size fits all solution, it might not suit you but others might think event files are important enough to warrant having space allocated, after all event files are the most important of all for the majority of users

yeah.. and it would have been worth mentioning this in the manual or specs..

and no adjustment for the level of quality... which is directly equal to space consumed, I think also warrants a mention..

yeah.. and it would have been worth mentioning this in the manual or specs..

not the kind of thing that would rate a special mention

and no adjustment for the level of quality... which is directly equal to space consumed, I think also warrants a mention..

it would only mention it if there was any adjustment available, features you have is what you talk about, not what you don't have

what it means is that the 'normal' features that most units have for example, choice of quality levels, (which all my others have), can not be taken for granted as a normal/regular option.. less user options can be a useful thing, but not these basic ones. I think.

what it means is that the 'normal' features that most units have for example, choice of quality levels, (which all my others have), can not be taken for granted as a normal/regular option.. less user options can be a useful thing, but not these basic ones. I think.

perhaps all your other cameras have had quality settings, it's not an industry standard though, something you would mention if you offered it, no reason to mention it if you don't

its available on the mio mivue 338, half the price, I think it should be on the 588..
anyway it seems that you are one who does not think it is strange that this is missing, ce la vie.. cheers

its available on the mio mivue 338, half the price, I think it should be on the 588..

they may be the same brand but may not be using the same solution, functionality is platform dependent in a lot of cases

anyway it seems that you are one who does not think it is strange that this is missing, ce la vie.. cheers

it's not about what I think is strange or not, you're just annoyed because the product doesn't work like you expected, I'm not a fan of the pre allocated space either, we don't do our product like this and I don't personally think it's the best way to do it, if that's what they're doing on this model it's more likely that's what's available in the SDK, you work within the available platform framework, has nothing to do with price although a lot of the more expensive product do use this method, a by product of the chipset they often use

I've recently purchased a MiVue 538 and it has the same problem. There are 4 storage allocation options, but with a 32GB card the most space you can have for normal recordings is 20GB, with 9GB reserved for emergency recordings. I've emailed MIO requesting an option with no space reserved for emergency recordings, no idea how receptive they are to feature requests from users.

I've heard of people successfully using 64GB microSDXC cards (FAT32 formatted) on the MiVue 300 series so I've ordered one to give it a try on the 538.

OK, I've tried a 64GB microSDXC card in my MiVue 538. The storage allocation is 41GB for normal recordings and 18GB for emergency recordings. This definitely needs fixing, there's no way anyone could possibly need 18GB for emergency recordings.

Incidentally, although MIO say only cards up to 32GB are supported, the camera was actually able to format the card itself so no need to use a PC.

A quick update on this, I've tried a 128GB microSDXC card in the 538 and it works fine, the storage allocation is 82GB for normal recordings and 36GB for emergency. So it is possible to get a longer recording time by throwing money at the problem.

I've also received an email response from MIO. The customer-facing guy agreed that the way they currently allocate emergency storage space is wasteful when used with a large memory card. He's passed my comment on to their R&D people, so hopefully the next version of software will include some kind of customisation option or an upper limit on the space reserved for emergency recordings.

Back