missing video issue

budster

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I was reviewing video files today from the included Transcend 32GB memory card in my GC, I found that some video wasn't recorded today when it should have been in use. There was no video recorded from the time the car left my house, and the first recording video started about 10 minutes into the drive. I'm baffled what caused this. I wasn't in the car and the person driving was unaware of any issue and doesn't generally pay attention to the dashcam.

I'm using the included 12V DC power supply (my 12V socket is only powered when the car's electrical system is on) and it seemed to be secure in the outlet. I have the SG20150926.V2 firmware and pretty much use all the default settings on it (only changed some menu options to use NTSC and 60Hz).

I did notice the memory card was almost full (about 500MB free space) and thought maybe the dashcam overwrote the wrong files (i.e. it overwrote newer files from today instead of older files). Tested this theory by hooking up the dashcam to a USB powerbank and had it record for awhile. I found that older files got overwritten so this theory doesn't seem valid. (Also, just a side observation, there always seems to be a buffer of 500-700MB free space on the memory card no matter how much is recorded.)

I checked for the presence of hidden files on the memory card and didn't find any.

Anything else I can check? Only thing I can think of is that maybe the power supply wasn't secure in the socket before and later somehow became secure when the first recording today started. The car is pretty new though and doesn't have loose 12V sockets that I've seen can be a problem on older cars where the connection might not be that good.

I'm going to keep a close eye on this, but I don't generally drive the car where the dashcam is used that much. So the only thing I can do is check the memory card afterwards to see if it has the expected recordings.

what firmware version (date)?

Sounds like cig charger is intermittently loose. Also make sure you format the card in-cam at least one time any time a Mac touches/reads the card.

I'm going to give my $.02 here- First, what kind of car do you have? I've been having issues with my A118-C and SG9665GC with corrupted files and not turning on when the car is started. I too am using the included power cord and using the 12v power socket in the center console (which is only hot when the car is turned on). I have a 2012 Toyota RAV4. I think I solved the problem by using an 'add-a-fuse' and wiring a separate 12v socket to the fusebox (a spot which is only hot when on). Right now I have zero issues with corrupted files and the cams not starting. I think it may be the way the OEM 12v sockets are wired and cause the cams to act goofy- I have no way of testing the sockets though. On the other hand, I have an older FineVue Pro (900p) cam for the rear which is powered by a 12v socket in the cargo area and that one has had no problems at all.

Right now I have zero issues with corrupted files and the cams not starting. I think it may be the way the OEM 12v sockets are wired and cause the cams to act goofy- I have no way of testing the sockets though. .

that can indeed be a problem on some vehicles

I have been seeing missing video files too, and mine is hardwired in by a professional audio shop. The one time I wanted to review the video it was missing (a table flew off the back of a pickup truck at me on the highway). Have seen others I didn't care about missing randomly as well.
Going to try swapping out the card and a few other things before creating a new thread for it..

I have been seeing missing video files too, and mine is hardwired in by a professional audio shop. The one time I wanted to review the video it was missing (a table flew off the back of a pickup truck at me on the highway). Have seen others I didn't care about missing randomly as well.
Going to try swapping out the card and a few other things before creating a new thread for it..

do you have motion detect on or off?

also what's the serial number and firmware version number of your camera?

Reactions: frr
Forgot to update this thread with my case. Anyways, this issue of missing videos had happened again before after I checked the memory card. Right after I saw that videos were missing on the card, I went back to the van, started it up, and saw that the dashcam wasn't getting powered on. When I turned the 12V adapter plug slightly, then the dashcam got powered on. So it does look like a problem with the 12V socket power connection for me. The 12V adapter plug was already pushed in all the way into the socket but just rotating it less than 45 degrees or so made the difference. It's a fairly new 2014 vehicle so not sure why the socket connection is intermittently no good. I never used the 12V socket for anything else before except this dashcam. I may have to think about hard-wiring the dashcam now, which I had wanted to avoid going thru the extra time and expense of doing.

One thing that would have been nice to have is for the included 12V charger to have a LED indicator on the plug to make it easy to see whether it's getting power. My dashcam is located closer to the passenger side so I have to lean that way to see whether it's on or not.

do you have motion detect on or off?

also what's the serial number and firmware version number of your camera?

Motion detection is set to off
Version is: SG20150305.002

Ok first thing you should do is update to the new firmware, there is a bug in that version which in certain circumstances can cause the wrong file to be deleted when recycling, I'm not at a computer right now to give you the link but there is a thread here with the links

ok thank you ill give that a go, I have noticed it only seems to have happened when the card is full, when the card is only partial full I have never noticed anything missing, not sure if its a coincidence or not but Ill update now.

@frr

Model No. SG9665GC
Versions: SG20151109.002
Date: 2015/11/09
Updated firmware for the SG9665GC is now available, please choose the appropriate version based on your camera serial number and existing firmware version number
Street Guardian SG9665GC V1 (SG9665GC.bin) » http://www.mediafire.com/download/rj3anbntosnch0b/SG9665GC_V1_Update_1.zip
For camera serial numbers SB15xxxxx through to SGGCxxxxxxxx
Settings menu display version number SG20xxxxxx.002

Instructions are included in the download.

Back