MiVue 788 Disable Loop Recording

AgresivniRidic

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Dash Cam
GoPro
Hello,
is it possible to disable loop recording on MiVue 788?
From 1 day of recording, I have 50 5-minute videos and I really dont want to open all of them to search for one recorded moment.
All of other dash cameras have this option to disable loop recording.
Thank you

No that's not a option on most dashcams, the smaller file segments are sort of a safety feature, so if something go wrong you just loose a little footage Vs a lot of footage if you don't record in smaller segments.
You should use the manual event button when you have a event you want to save, i use to not do that too and so recalling when something worth sharing happened can be hard, not least with my poor memory.
So i have started to use the manual event button which make it much more easy.

But looking over a 5 hour long file or 50 smaller files it will be the same, but you can load all 50 files up on the computer ( mark all the files with the mouse and the play this will stack all your 50 files into 1 long movie you can then play )
Same if you want to save that whole drive, just drop the 50 files into any editing program and then export them as one big file, the time/date name of the files should make sure they are edited in the right order.

Thank you for your response.
So If i press manual event recording from the start of my driving, there will be 1 big video file?
When something happen, I just stop recording and start another video file. In my PC i know, that at the end of the video there was something interesting ;)

No.
Pressing the event file will lock a event, but i don't know how the Mivue cameras handle events, on my Street guardian cameras 2 files are saved ( 3 minutes each ) depending on when in the current recording i press the button.
So if i am just a few seconds into the current recording and press the button the current file will be locked + the one before it wil also be locked, if the current recording are almost over when i press button then the current one plus the following will be saved.

But i think Mivue operate on the old fashioned way, meaning you only have a short buffer, so you have to be quick to press the button, also i am not sure for how long after the button press the camera will save the file as a event.
Even if you are slow and miss the thing in the actual event file created, then the event recording can always be used as a time marker, and if you have not been driving a lot the event will still be there just among the regular recordings as you was too slow to press the button.
you can always experiment with your event button and see how much buffer it have, for instance when you are parked at a traffic light, press the button the moment the light turn green, then in your event recording you can see in the video how many seconds before the light turn green you have, i think the norm are 10 seconds.
But trying like this can also tell you for how long after you pressed the button the camera record, some are just 20 seconds others a minute or so, just experiment with your camera.

And do remember event files can only be deleted if you format the memory card in the camera or you delete or format on the computer, and having too manu event files can fill up memory card so you have little room for regular driving recordings.

Depending on where you camera are placed it can also be hard to find the button not least if you are driving too, can be unsafe.
Some new cameras have a little remote event button that work on bluetooth, this way you can put that button where it are easy to see and reach.

My street guardian cameras put event files in a folder on the memory card called RO ( Read Only ) but it will also delete those if the RO folder fill up, but there are room for a lot of event files in there, and it work like the normal part of the memory card so the oldest events will be deleted first to make room for more events in the RO folder.

The event is recording only about 1 minute video, so this is useless.
The only possibility how "live" with this camera is to stop video recording (after some interesting situation) with pressing the "menu" button and than go back a start a new 5 minute video file.
After that in my PC I see different file size of that file compared to other video files.

This is the only way I found and this camera disappointed me...

Back