Mobious dash cam VS Rear view mirror style cam

lucky

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used the Mobious dash cam and the reaview mirror stye dash cam.
The rear view mirror style /i am talking about is the one with 5 rectangle buttons along the bottom edge of the mirror. Only a forward view. I wish all of these cams had names like the Mobious. But even the Mobious does not have the version marked that I can see.

The colors of the Mobious cam are much better balanced than the rearview mirror style cam.
The Mobious dash cam colors are very balanced. Like red is red ,blue is blue etc.,.
The rearview mirror style cam has too much blue in all the video.
Like pavement is blue not black.

The rearview mirror style cam is easier to use because when you first start your vehicle it comes on.
If it does not come on then you just push the left hand ON button on the left side of the mirror.
When you want to stop the rearview mirror style dash cam ,you just push the off button. Easy.

With the Mobious on the suction cup mount, the image must be flipped in the(txt file for MAC users) and set up program for the PC users.
When you want to stop the Mobious cam you have to push the on/off button, but the cam is upside down in the suction cup front window mount and to get to the buttons you must take the cam off of the front window or figure out how to do it without knocking the cam off of the front window. Very difficult.

For motorcycle use the Mobious image will NOT have to be flipped.
I mounted mine on the wind shield at first and there was some glare but if you put it on your helmet then the wind will make noise on the video.
Maybe a foam over the cam sound port?

Last edited:
When you want to stop the Mobious cam you have to push the on/off button, but the cam is upside down in the suction cup front window mount and to get to the buttons you must take the cam off of the front window or figure out how to do it without knocking the cam off of the front window.

If the Mobius is externally powered (e.g. from lighter socket), it can be set to automatically power on when engine started, & off when engine stopped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If the Mobius is externally powered (e.g. from lighter socket), it can be set to automatically power on when engine started, & off when engine stopped.

My Ford Van 2009 has power to the cigarette lighter sockets all the time.

But even after you turn the camera on, you have to press the button with the camera
on it to START the recording.

I will check all of that out again .

Are you using the GUI that makes setup very easy? mSetup.zip

Theres an option to tick for start record at power on.
I do not have Windows. I have a MACintosh.
I will check the TXT file to see if that power on option is available.
Meanwhile i have been told by the manufacturer that they
are working on a set up program for the MAC.

My Ford Van 2009 has power to the cigarette lighter sockets all the time.

When you've set the parameters for auto power on / off, you can insert the USB lead into the lighter socket adapter to start recording, & pull it out to stop.

You need to power the Mobius (NOT MobiOus) from a power source which is running only when the engine is running. Of course your Mobius will not start if connected to a permanent power source because he is not so smart to understand when you are turning on the engine.
There are many cars as yours but people solved the power problem.

enjoy,
Mtz

I went to the TXT file and the option about power is there, but I am still trying figure out what it is saying.
I am not a computer person.
The language is just not very clear on that power on/off issue.

Any model # of the rear view mirror cam that you used? Are license plates as easily read with your rear view mirror camera? I don't need razor sharp dash cam videos but I do need the plates legible as cars are driving by or towards me at various angles.

I really like that its an all-in-one solution and will stick out a little less than the Mobius will. That and I don't have to use suction or tape mounts. But if video quality doesn't make license plates easy to read, I'll bite the bullet and go Mobius.

The Mobious reads plates best when a car stops.

My rearview mirror style dash cam is very similar in quality to the Mobious.
Not mush difference.

My rear view mirror style dash cam came in a box that said HD Dash Cam
No model number.
It has six rectangular buttons along the bottom edge of the mirror.
It has one forward facing camera.

The Mobious reads plates best when a car stops.

My rearview mirror style dash cam is very similar in quality to the Mobious.
Not mush difference.

My rear view mirror style dash cam came in a box that said HD Dash Cam
No model number.
It has six rectangular buttons along the bottom edge of the mirror.
It has one forward facing camera.

Does this look like your Rear View Cam?

Does that mean that the rear view mirror cam also does a decent job of catching plates while cars are in motion also? The Mobius supposedly does that.

Does this look like your Rear View Cam?

Does that mean that the rear view mirror cam also does a decent job of catching plates while cars are in motion also? The Mobius supposedly does that.

Yes, that is the exact rearview mirror style dash cam that I have.

I have not focused my attention specifically on when , or under what circumstances it will catch the license plate and what the quality is.
If you are worried about a hit and run driver who knows what will happen.
But if you have a dash cam you have some chance of finding them.
Without the dash cam you have no chance unless a bystander is a fast reader, and on the ball.

There are never any gaurentees in life. That is why we have insurance .

Last edited:
Yes, that is the exact rearview mirror style dash cam that I have............................

....................There are never any gaurentees in life. That is why we have insurance .

keeping this in mind you should be aware that this type of mirror has no safety approvals, if you were in some type of accident and you or one of your passengers were injured by broken glass from the mirror the insurer could possibly try and limit their liability

not suggesting this is going to happen and hopefully it never does, just something to be aware of, with electronics there's different types of standards that need to be met but pretty straightforward stuff, glass in an automotive environment is different altogether and the rules are quite tough, personally I think the mirror location is ideal and there are replacement type mirrors that are approved that are a great solution but none of these accessory 'hook over the top' type mirrors are compliant

Back